Answered

access point mode on router not working on sonos one.

• 15 December 2022
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is where it goes over my head…….

do you recommend I call Sonos and pass this along to them so they can walk me through? I have literally talked to 5 -6 

different techs and none of them have suggested this.  I do appreciate your help, but do not know how to set this up…….

By the way I can’t personally see how both routers can be on the same local subnet if using the WAN port unless the router specifically has a ‘bridge mode’ setting that turns that into a LAN port for ‘switching’ purposes, but definitely keep both devices (AP’s) so that they use the same LAN subnet, rather than using double NAT.

Corey-

Thank you for taking the time to help.  

yes, the Ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port on the secondary router.  

the garage speaker is running Wi-Fi from the garage router.  But, there is a weak signal coming from the primary router in the house.  Can this be the issue?  

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Sonos.  I believe they set up the garage speaker separately.  But, when I open the primary router settings, the MAC address for the garage speaker is listed in those settings.  Not sure if this is because of the access point mode of the garage router or not?

when the garage speaker “drops out”, it quits working.  Then the light flashes white.  But it is a brighter, stronger flash as compared to when you reboot the speaker.

I submitted diagnostics.  Here is the number 1523545283

do I need to provide any information?

your help is greatly appreciated!

thank you

Can’t you simply use the routers MAC address filtering feature to get your products onto the required access point, so that all in the garage are using the nearby router etc.

I would just ensure too that both routers are broadcasting the same subnet with identical WiFi SSID/credentials, channels and channel-width (20Mhz only is recommended for the 2.4Ghz band).

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Corey-

Thank you for taking the time to help.  

yes, the Ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port on the secondary router.  

the garage speaker is running Wi-Fi from the garage router.  But, there is a weak signal coming from the primary router in the house.  Can this be the issue?  

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Sonos.  I believe they set up the garage speaker separately.  But, when I open the primary router settings, the MAC address for the garage speaker is listed in those settings.  Not sure if this is because of the access point mode of the garage router or not?

when the garage speaker “drops out”, it quits working.  Then the light flashes white.  But it is a brighter, stronger flash as compared to when you reboot the speaker.

I submitted diagnostics.  Here is the number 1523545283

do I need to provide any information?

your help is greatly appreciated!

thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jellikit 

Thanks for your post!

Sorry to hear you’ve been fighting this for so long! I’ll see what I can do to help.

First of all, Bridge mode and Access Point mode are roughly the same thing - Bridge mode (or wireless bridge mode, as Netgear call it) will use WiFi as the backhaul to your internet connection, Access Point mode will use the ethernet cable instead. It is very important that one of these modes is used - if not, you are creating a separate network, isolated from the first. One thing you will need to make sure of is that the ethernet cable going to the second router should be plugged into it’s Internet/WAN port, not one of the standard ports.

Your system is using SonosNet - this means that if the Garage speaker can pick SonosNet up, it will prefer it over any WiFi connection. It sounds like this isn’t likely due to the distance and the Garage speaker will need to connect to WiFi.

It looks like at least part of the problem was that the Garage speaker was not set up as part of your existing system, but was in fact forming a new system of it’s own. You’ve already fixed that, which is good.

You say the speakers play for 20-30 min? Please submit a support diagnostic while they are playing and report the given number here. I’m not sure if “and then drop” just means they stop playing or if they disappear from the app, but please submit another diagnostic at this point too. Thanks.