Answered

7.2.4 Atmos Speaker Layout

• 27 June 2023
  • 3 replies

I just bought the Sonos ARC and am super impressed at how easy it was to setup and the sound quality I get from just the bar.  In the past I’ve bought AV receivers and speakers and always struggled with setting them up properly and optimizing sound.  I have to say I don’t think I will ever go back to the traditional setup after purchasing the ARC.

With that being said, I would like to start planning a 7.2.4 setup.  What speakers do I need for a great 7.2.4 setup and how should they be placed?  Do I use all ERA 300s?  Or do you mix other speakers as well?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 June 2023, 15:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Well that’s good news.  Less speakers to buy.  If I add 2 subs isn’t that 7.2.4 though?

No entirely.  The .1 signal is repeated in the 2 subs.  Actually, the whole notion of x.y.z is going away, because spatial audio isn’t like the old formats.  Spatial audio puts sounds into a space in the room, not to a particular channel or speaker.   It’s all based on room mapping, and no two rooms are alike, so what may be playing on the individual channels/speakers in your room may be completely different in mine, depending on the layout.

Well that’s good news.  Less speakers to buy.  If I add 2 subs isn’t that 7.2.4 though?

You can only add 2 Era 300 surrounds and 1 Sub-Mini/Sub or 2 Subs.  This, along with the Arc will give you 7.1.4 (Arc - L/C/R, 2 front height, 2 Era 300 - 2 rear surrounds, 2 rear height, Sub(s) - .1 low level effects). 

The layout is Arc in front under screen, surrounds behind and to the sides of the main viewing area, Sub(s) wherever they sound good.