Answered

Will there be a Sonos Five soon? 2020?

• 9 February 2020
  • 35 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Sorry, I object to your term EoL. They will not be at end of life, they will only stop receiving new software features. They will continue work as they do at this moment.

In my opinion, there are other Sonos devices that need an ‘upgrade’ more than the PLAY:5 does, in fact, the only thing I could conceive of changing in the device is an addition of an array of microphones for voice control. That doesn’t seem to be enough to garner a new generation to me. I don’t think it would be enough of a differentiator to garner enough sales for Sonos to look for a big profit on. 

Fair enough EoL from the sonos eco-system application standpoint.  Should still work with the current app and reducing number of 3rd party plug in’s and direct indefinitely. 

I have 2 plays 3’s which are probably the oldest things in the sonos line up so was surprised that they were included the S2 compatibility line up.

I was surprised both my PLAY:3s and PLAY:1s made the S2 list, until I looked at the available memory they came with for the software driving them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yes we will!

I think the distinction between Tech and Audio company is mainly down to perception - the reality is Sonos is both and the tech component is hard to future proof. At some point the cost of future proofing will be prohibitive. 

I’m sure they could engineer something but again - cost/benefit again comes into play, especially with the 30% trade up program. 

I’m looking forward to the Atmos sound bar. Probably more 2021 thing for me. Otherwise I’m happy with my current kit. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Danny I do understand that I can leave everything on the S1 legacy system but why would I ? If we except the fact that Sonos is a tech company, then I want the rest of my Sonos S2 compliant kit to be running the latest updates and security patches,  after all we have established that there are only so many updates a unit will get before Sonos decide it's fate and calls it legacy .

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Danny by leaving everything on the S1 system the S2 compliant units do not get updates, so you are forced to run a split system to ensure that the legacy unit(s) is not blocking updates to your S2 units. So it's either a split system or replace an expensive unit(s) to be able to run S2 fully as one system .

There’s no reason why, if you’re uninterested in the S2 updates, why you couldn’t leave all units as S1….as far as I think, based on the limited info we have. No requirement to run as a split system, if you don’t want. But we’ll know more soon, I expect. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So the last answer here is 2 months old , and we are nearly into May very soon I will have to work out what I am going to do about the play5 1st Gen I have on my system . 

I really don't want to go for a split system it defeats the whole reason for having Sonos, but the gen2 has been around for awhile, Is there any info on if this is going to be phased out, or have a major update, or a gen3 ? I don't want to spend £500 on a unit that is going to be superceded in a short space of time , I would be happy to wait and spend the cash on the " latest" unit even if it meant waiting awhile anybody have any ideas ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Britishwonderings do you work for Sonos ? lol!!!

unfortunately a lot of people on this forum willl not share your thoughts on how good a job 

Sonos do at trying to ensure that your system stays relevant and up to date . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos advertises $150 of the Playbar and the Sub “while supplies last”. I would expect these to be superseded first.