Question

Why won't Sonos allow wireless audio streaming for movies from Mac/PC?

• 25 November 2014
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Irrelevant, streaming audio from a PC has been done over uPnP, why this isn't a supported feature is beyond me - and with an increasingly lucrative batch of alternative systems, Sonos need to stop sitting on their laurels and innovate for the first time in about 8 years; Bose, LG, Pure and HK are hot on their heels - Bose a serious contender for replacing the 2 x Connect, 2 x Play:3 and 1 x Play:1 in my house
One possible reason is that streaming movies from a PC would result in the sound being out of sync with the video due to encoding and caching delays. The only reason a Playbar can handle movie audio is because of the special low latency link built into it. This could not be reproduced in a PC application without special hardware on the PC side to support it.
Hi there Mohammed H, Official Rep.

Both your answers are incredibly patronizing and smarmy - as well as totally unsatisfying and unhelpful, of which you are clearly aware.

Being arrogant utterly fails to conceal your company's indifference to YEARS of customer complaints and requests.
Userlevel 1
Hi User 529764, based on Sonos inaction on anything other than what suits them, a cynic might suggest that the reason is that they wouldn't make a buck out of this. I'd love Sonos to prove me wrong but, hey, we're only customers and have already bought all their hardware so we are no longer their market...
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I appreciate the link, but it doesn't help. I'm not interested in complicated or inconvenient work arounds. I'd like to know why Sonos isn't doing something about this. I'd like an explanation. Here's what I came up with for their reasons. I'm assuming they prefer to fine tune the sound of their speakers by also having a degree of control over fine-tuning the sources through their app. Having it be a blind output device on a Mac/PC, would remove that degree of optimal fine-tuning, as you could throw any app at it, and it may or may not sound optimal. But the I suppose my theory is challenged, because the Play 5 has an Aux-In, which makes it capable of being a blind output device.
As you are aware this isn't possible at the moment, please refer to our answer here. There's some good advice there as well. Otherwise I recommend you contribute to the conversation in the idea thread, hopefully it will be possible in the near future.
Userlevel 2
I appreciate the link, but it doesn't help. I'm not interested in complicated or inconvenient work arounds. I'd like to know why Sonos isn't doing something about this. I'd like an explanation. Here's what I came up with for their reasons. I'm assuming they prefer to fine tune the sound of their speakers by also having a degree of control over fine-tuning the sources through their app. Having it be a blind output device on a Mac/PC, would remove that degree of optimal fine-tuning, as you could throw any app at it, and it may or may not sound optimal. But the I suppose my theory is challenged, because the Play 5 has an Aux-In, which makes it capable of being a blind output device.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
You might find some useful suggestions here.