Why is the maximum volume so low?

• 26 February 2014
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

As John said, what you're describing is quite unusual as the PLAY:5 can get very loud. Local iTunes music could be encoded quieter, and at times Pandora tracks might be low as well. Sonos players don't edit the volume encoded in the tracks themselves, so you could have a few that are digitally set lower than others. This shouldn't be the case will all of your Pandora or local songs however.

If you're using the Line-In on your PLAY:5 will want to adjust the Line-In level as shown on this page. This adjusts the gain level on the Line-In connection to be louder when you have the cable plugged in from your iPad (for example) to the PLAY:5. The higher the value, the higher the volume. 

You can also turn on the Loudness setting inside the Equalization settings. Tracks usually are louder with the Loudness turned on.

If the PLAY:5 still seems low on multiple Sonos sources, can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back here with your confirmation number?

Thanks

Hi I've just purchased 2x play 1's and a Play 5, I can hear every word and sound from the play 1's at the lowest volume, yet the play 5 I can hear nothing on low and when I turn it up full the sound is to say the least pathetic, have I got a faulty Play 5 as I cannot imagine it to be functioning properly with such awful sound and no way a £169 Sonos speaker can sound 10 times better than a £350 one... My diagnostics confirmation number is 4560923. Thanks
I have two Play5's as Stereo pair and about a quarter up is more than enough. But then, when I'm in one of those moods and SWMBO is not around I crank it up higher, still not reaching half though.
I'm having the same problem. Just set up PLAY 5 two or three weeks ago. I also have a couple PLAY 3's and the y sound fine. The PLAY 5 is inaudible until the indicator is between 1/2 to 3/4 Max volume.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If same source is playing fine on the Play:3 and Soundbar but very little sound out of the Play:5 I would tend to think the Play:5 is defective that you got.
I just set up a new PLAY 5 and have same issue. I have PLAY3s, Sound Bar and Base, and all work beautifully. New PLAY5 has just been set up in different room and is inaudible at anything lower than half volume. Loudness button is on, and problem exists no matter whether iPad, iPhone or MacBook Air is used as controller, and whether Pandora, Beats or my own music from iTunes is played. Call me a disappointed Sonos customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is unusual, the PLAY:5 should certainly be audible even at the lower volumes and at 3/4s volume you should have no problem hearing it.  It will be quite loud and you should not need to adjust the treble / bass much at all.

What's the music source you're playing from?  

What is your music source
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As John said, what you're describing is quite unusual as the PLAY:5 can get very loud. Local iTunes music could be encoded quieter, and at times Pandora tracks might be low as well. Sonos players don't edit the volume encoded in the tracks themselves, so you could have a few that are digitally set lower than others. This shouldn't be the case will all of your Pandora or local songs however.

If you're using the Line-In on your PLAY:5 will want to adjust the Line-In level as shown on this page. This adjusts the gain level on the Line-In connection to be louder when you have the cable plugged in from your iPad (for example) to the PLAY:5. The higher the value, the higher the volume. 

You can also turn on the Loudness setting inside the Equalization settings. Tracks usually are louder with the Loudness turned on.

If the PLAY:5 still seems low on multiple Sonos sources, can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back here with your confirmation number?

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Add me to the list, very quiet at half volume.
My Play5 is volume deprived also. at 1/2 volume I can barely even hear it. I'm using an iphone 5s with both iTunes and Pandora. What's the fix here?
That is unusual, the PLAY:5 should certainly be audible even at the lower volumes and at 3/4s volume you should have no problem hearing it.  It will be quite loud and you should not need to adjust the treble / bass much at all.

I have just set up the Play 5 and I agree it,s not loud at all on full volume , when I read the write up,s I thought I was buying a too powerful speaker for the room , not the case at all ! oh and I,m using an ipad !
Badge +18