Why Can't I listen to my music through my Computer?

• 26 August 2012
  • 99 replies

Userlevel 1
My only disappointment with the Sonos system is a big one: why can't I listen to the music playing on the Sonos system through my computer? is there a way to do this???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Read the thread, the explanation is in there, it'll never happen.
My only disappointment with the Sonos system is a big one: why can't I listen to the music playing on the Sonos system through my computer? is there a way to do this???

Before the idiots reply why don't I add a Sonos Play in my home/office it's because I have a nice sound system on that computer (again I say you idiots who want to offer stupid suggestions). Anyway, if I'm playing music throughout my house (I have 2 Sonos Play 1) I want it to be in sync with the music playing on the computer (maybe it's just an iHeartRadio thing).
Not going to happen, no matter how many times you call people who try to offer you help "idiots".
Not going to happen, no matter how many times you call people who try to offer you help "idiots".
The people trying to help I don't call idiots, it's the idiots that don't understand people who already have an investment in their computer sound system (mine is a home office) want the music their playing throughout the house to be in sync, it's very distracting to have it out of sync when you are trying to do your work.
People that make comments like "why would you want to", that's my category of IDIOTS!!
I think it is an oversight that SONOS has not added this feature to their excellent sound system. As proof of the number of people who want to see this feature added.
Ok, I'm going to help. Buy a Sonos Connect. It is designed to take analog output (the audio out from your soundcard) and digitize it for play though the Sonos system. It is also designed to output to powered speakers, like those you use for your computer. This is the Sonos solution for getting computer output to play over Sonos. No "oversight" on Sonos' part, they already have your solution.

So then you will complain about the price of a Connect and after that . . . Countdown to you calling me an idiot in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1.

So whatever. But you just aren't going to get is Sonos playing over your computer without investing in a Connect, for all the reasons discussed in this and other threads by some very knowledgeable people for the last 8+ years.
Ok, I'm going to help. Buy a Sonos Connect. It is designed to take analog output (the audio out from your soundcard) and digitize it for play though the Sonos system. It is also designed to output to powered speakers, like those you use for your computer. This is the Sonos solution for getting computer output to play over Sonos. No "oversight" on Sonos' part, they already have your solution.

So then you will complain about the price of a Connect and after that . . . Countdown to you calling me an idiot in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1.

So whatever. But you just aren't going to get is Sonos playing over your computer without investing in a Connect, for all the reasons discussed in this and other threads by some very knowledgeable people for the last 8+ years.

You have a good since of humor, so no more idiot jokes, but if this has been talked about for 8+ years, well then.....3.....2.....1 I'll have to call SONOS the IDOIT!!!

Take care and thanks for your help with a solution (well to spend my money) and your time. Merry Christmas!!
You have a good since of humor, so no more idiot jokes, but if this has been talked about for 8+ years, well then.....3.....2.....1 I'll have to call SONOS the IDOIT!!!

Take care and thanks for your help with a solution (well to spend my money) and your time. Merry Christmas!!

If you are interested, there is a long, contentious, (and probably overly technical) thread about this request linked on page one of this thread. What the whole issue boils down to is both financial and technical.

The financial is that the only multi-room streamer manufacturer who ever allowed a software "zone" (Logitech Squeezebox line) was discontinued for lack of sales. Curiously, Squeezeboxes now live on in the form of that software zone on Raspberry Pi computers costing 1/3 of what the Logitech hardware players cost. Does one really have to ask why a product line fails when they supply a piece of software that lets their users to build a version of their product for 1/3 the price?

The technical reason is the underlying PC architecture, specifically the clock. The PC clock is notoriously inaccurate, and simply cannot be relied upon to sync music (indeed, the sync feature with the Logitech software was non-existent, even worse than the fairly poor sync on their hardware players). So no matter what the case, you would need a hardware upgrade for the PC to be a fully compatible Sonos player. Sonos has decided that hardware is the Connect.
That is really too bad. I guess I'll have to keep my Squeezeboxes and Server then. At least I can use the server and Squeezeplay to play music on my computer.

As for using a Connect to do to this, it seems excessive and quite expensive. Adding another set of speakers is at least $1,000 for an amp, the speakers, taking out drywall, installing speakers, etc. Had I know you couldn't do this, I'd have selected a different system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Had I know you couldn't do this, I'd have selected a different system.
An informed buyer knows what he's buying.
Frankly, not being able to listen to my Sonos library on my computer speakers is just idiocy. It's easy enough to do that---there are many free apps (from Nightingale to VOX to iTunes) that will happily access a remote library, but it's an annoying hassle to have to deal with two music applications. Streaming to my computer speakers directly through the Sonos app would be a convenience that would improve this customer's loyalty at no cost to them at all, given that I'm not about to buy a Connect for this purpose---I don't have money to burn, and there are free, though annoying, options). So, the policy has annoyed a customer without improving sales. Seems dumb.
"No cost at all to them"? Really? Say that to the other company which allowed this function, except they don't exist anymore. Well, actually they do sort of exist, because there are a bunch of people still using their software to recreate their hardware using inexpensive PCs. But that couldn't have contributed to their demise, could it?
So Apple doesn't exist any more?

The point is that I *CAN* listen to my library on an "inexpensive PC." I'm doing that right now, as I write this note (via Itunes---Sonos is linked to the same music folder. Nightingale does the same thing, as would Google's player if you back up your collection to Google. Nightingale supports the Apple Remote app as well). Why do you imagine that that's difficult to do? If being able to stream my library to my "inexpensive PC" was going to drive Sonos out of business, it would have done it long ago. I bought the Sonos to connect the computer to my existing stereo system over the network, something that it does better than Apple's Airport. A Connect is smaller and (marginally) cheaper then devoting an entire "inexpensive PC" to the same purpose, and there's no real difference in sound quality). The point is that that it's inconvenient to deal with two music apps, and their strategy does not prevent me from streaming to my PC or give them any sort of lock in. it does, however, annoy many customers, judging by the comments on this thread.

I should also add that an Apple Airport Express and the iTunes remote will work fine if you don't want zones (I don't). However, iTunes is a pain. I bought a Sonos because I prefer the Sonos *software* to iTunes. That is, I'd happily buy the software as a stand-alone iTunes replacement.
Justify it any way you wish, it's not going to happen.
Userlevel 3
Badge
So Apple doesn't exist any more?

The point is that I *CAN* listen to my library on an "inexpensive PC." I'm doing that right now, as I write this note (via Itunes---Sonos is linked to the same music folder. Nightingale does the same thing, as would Google's player if you back up your collection to Google. Nightingale supports the Apple Remote app as well). Why do you imagine that that's difficult to do? If being able to stream my library to my "inexpensive PC" was going to drive Sonos out of business, it would have done it long ago. I bought the Sonos to connect the computer to my existing stereo system over the network, something that it does better than Apple's Airport. A Connect is smaller and (marginally) cheaper then devoting an entire "inexpensive PC" to the same purpose, and there's no real difference in sound quality). The point is that that it's inconvenient to deal with two music apps, and their strategy does not prevent me from streaming to my PC or give them any sort of lock in. it does, however, annoy many customers, judging by the comments on

I should also add that an Apple Airport Express and the iTunes remote will work fine if you don't want zones (I don't). However, iTunes is a pain. I bought a Sonos because I prefer the Sonos *software* to iTunes. That is, I'd happily buy the software as a stand-alone iTunes replacement.

And this post right here is the issue people are struggling with. Especially that last paragraph comparing iTunes to the sonos controller.

iTunes is a MEDIA PLAYER - Sonos controller IS NOT A MEDIA PLAYER! Say if with me people, SONOS CONTROLLER IS NOT A MEDIA PLAYER.

You don't expect to watch TV on your TV's remote control do you? Because that's what you seem to think you can do with the Sonos controller. It's a remote control for the sonos equipment. It's not "playing" anything. Pick up your TV's remote or your DVD players remote or any physical remote control. Hold it in your hands and say out loud "This is what the Sonos controller is - a remote control, nothing more." Period. Close thread we're done.
If only we could close the thread. But your explanation is 100% true. Unfortunately, 100% of the folks who want this feature won't bother to comprehend it
Userlevel 4
This was easy to setup with a CONNECT. People who have special needs/expectations, but want it for nothing, you are most amusing.
There is a very simple reason for wanting to play Sonos on my PC. When I'm putting together a playlist before a party (or whenever I feel like it) I shouldn't have to unplug a Sonos speaker and bring it into my office so I can screen my choices. I don't need high-fidelity, just enough to make my choices. The lack of this feature is NOT cool.
The lack of this feature is NOT cool.
As has been pointed out countless times, the lack of this feature ensures that Sonos stays in business. If a pure software Player was available someone would put it on a Raspberry Pi in a jiffy, thereby cannibalising Sonos hardware sales. Consider the fate of the Squeezebox as a text-book example.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm rather surprised and disappointed that I can't just play Sonos through my existing high quality studio monitors that are already plugged into the very same computer that and are already powered by a high quality digital quality digital audio controller.

I recently aquired one Sonos speaker, and was considering investing further into the system by buying speakers for other rooms, but this is an absurd deal-breaker. I hope reasonable people are able to understand why this situation is unacceptable to some people.

The notion that someone would just by a Raspberry Pi is absurd. I am equally shocked to find so many people putting down others who are making this very simple and reasonable request. I fear that Sonos is only getting a rather insular point-of-view from a minority of their most fanatical fans, to their detriment.

The notion that someone would just by a Raspberry Pi is absurd.

No, it's not. Sonos' chief competitor used to be Squeezebox. They created a "software zone", exactly like what is requested here. It was no secret you could cobble together an extra Zone or two by using a Raspberry Pi, if you didn't want to pay the premium for regular Squeezebox hardware. It didn't sync well, but nobody cared. Nowadays, Squeezebox is long gone as a brand, but do you know what lives on? The Squeezebox "software zone" running on Raspberry Pi computers.

Fast forward to today, and there are a half-dozen or more Sonos competitors. You know what they all have in common? They all do not have a software player to play over computer speakers. Looks like the market learned its lesson.
I'm rather surprised and disappointed that I can't just play Sonos through my existing high quality studio monitors that are already plugged into the very same computer that and are already powered by a high quality digital quality digital audio controller.

If they are true high quality studio monitors, then there is no sound colorization whatsoever... no highs, no lows... just flat frequency response as it should be heard specifically for mixing. Because they are probably powered, you can hook a Connect to them and do what you need, but again, the sound won't be what you expect.

And why that would stop you from getting Sonos kit for the rest of the rooms in the home is perplexing.
Userlevel 4
He's just trolling. Sonos is a wireless loudspeaker system manufacturer. Mike101 wants to benefit from their technology without buying the Sonos Connect that achieves it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
He's just trolling. Sonos is a wireless loudspeaker system manufacturer. Mike101 wants to benefit from their technology without buying the Sonos Connect that achieves it.

My question was reasonable. Some of you are clearly so highly invested into their system so that you become angry when "outsiders" question things.
Userlevel 4
My question was reasonable. Some of you are clearly so highly invested into their system so that you become angry when "outsiders" question things.
I'm not angry; I think your request is grossly unreasonable. You wish to increase your benefit from someone's technology, but you don't want to pay any more for the privilege. As a product developer myself (in a very different product category, but still) I have a very low opinion of your position.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm not angry; I think your request is grossly unreasonable. You wish to increase your benefit from someone's technology, but you don't want to pay any more for the privilege. As a product developer myself (in a very different product category, but still) I have a very low opinion of your position.

Inopinatus, your opinion is very important. Please opine on why customers should be forbidden from being able to listen to music through their own computer speakers.

Do you feel that it is your prerogative to insult Sonos customers who make requests and post complaints onto the forum that was provided by Sonos for this express purpose?