Answered

What Size are the SONOS Play:5 divers ?

Badge
Can someone please tell me how big are the three woofers and three tweeters in the Sonos Play:5 second generation. With size I mean like 4" inch or 5" inch ?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 28 March 2018, 17:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Augustya

You are stressing over the wrong things. Your two topics:

What Size are the Play 5 drivers?

At the end of the day it's a moot point. The size of the driver is not the only criteria considered when designing a speaker. There's materials used, DAC's, Magnets, Cross-over point, enclosure, sine wave and the list goes on. What you should be concerned with (assuming you know what you're listening for) is how the speaker sounds in comparison to other speakers you may have heard. At a particular affordable price point that's all that matters. Have you ever heard the phrase..."it's comes in a small package, but packs a big punch!"

Sonos Play 5 and Sub will it live-up to my Expectations:
That's like asking will you like Apple Pie! Listening to a speaker is just as subjective as taste. Only you can make the final decision as to what you like or don't like. Sure there are many in this community including myself who will tell you that Sonos speakers sound great. However, the majority who say such have been listening to music over a variety of speakers and have a general understanding of what makes a general baseline by which to judge speakers. But again at the end-of-the-day it will still come down to your personal preference.

In conclusion, if you don't "Get" what I've written...then there's no amount of a advice in this forum that will help you decide. Good luck and Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
If Sonos told you, they would have to kill you and then you wouldn’t be able to enjoy your Play 5’s. If you shine a light in there, they look to be around the 3” range.
Why does it matter? And you do realise that your entire history of past conversations is there for all to see very easily?
Lol. Unfortunately for all of us, there isn't a way for the rest of us to ignore your rubbish. Minus the caps.
PS: But thank you for deleting your latest long and extremely ill considered post made here.
But Stuart, the man wants to know if the woofer is the same size horizontally as it is vertically...
Can you guys represent me?:8
Nahh...I have been impeached by the Born again:-)). Moderator Ryan is Chairman of next steps.

This could have been an useful thread for me had it not been trespassed by the "PEST"

I ask again:

How exactly is the "Size of the Woofer" going to help you decide to buy something (which you claim you already own)?

You keep refusing to answer this simple question, nor are you willing to explain why you need purchasing information on something you already own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You guys are killing me :):):):):):):D:D:D:D;););););)

I think it's time the moderators shut this tread down. :? JMO 🆒

Agreed.

Thanks for playing everyone. I'm closing this thread down as I think it's been as productive as it will be.

@Augustya, if you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me directly. I'll be happy to answer any that I can. We do keep some specifics about Sonos speakers quiet as we've found that they don't tell the whole story around how it sounds. Like the frequency response of each driver, since you're looking at a bunch of independently amplified speakers, working in tandem, with Trueplay to back them up to sound the best they can in any room.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Don’t you think if Sonos WANTED you to know they would make it clear? They don’t want you to know, so you won’t ever know. And knowing is half the battle.

Since my earlier post was not posted I am posting this with a new user name.

And here I was thinking that we have been spared this output via second thoughts by you. My bad.
No, I just enjoy winding you up to see what more nonsense comes up in your second thread that is just like your first in terms of nonsensical content. And how is the sound from the play 5 and the Sub that you claim to have at home? Open up the 5 unit, get a measuring tape and answer your titled question by taking some effort.:D
I am enjoying this immensely; and I am also serving the useful purpose of letting other posters that have patiently replied to your nonsense on two threads now, that they can better use their time answering questions from other people with real issues and/or intelligent questions about Sonos. Replying to you is just time wasted in feeding a troll. If you know what that means.

And by your admission above, you are also admitting that what you have written in your born again ( seriously?!) profile about owning the 5 and the Sub is a lie.

Time to be born a third time and open another thread: ROFL. Might be a good idea to not lie there about Sonos products that you own. Or don't own, more accurately.

Now being in India

Being an Indian myself, this is the only part of your nonsense that makes me cringe.
The rest is priceless entertainment. Carry on Doctor and unravel completely. But at least have the wit of erasing the false claim of owning Sonos units.
Userlevel 7
Would a single play:5 and one sub would be an ideal setup and be sufficient or two Play:5 and a Sub would be ideal ! If I want some ground shaking Bass !

You've got to read more carefully and pay attention. See your answer below that was in my last post :P

Ok, never have I ever felt ever in my life which I am made to feel now, as if it is Blasphemy !! to ask all these about SONOS. As if this is gonna be the impeachment bill that the senate is gonna pass against the President ! Sonos is ok in giving me the Size of the Woofer ! That is not a forbidden word ! I can atleast give some point to SONOS for being atleast not secretive for revealing that ! lol ! :D

And pray tell, how exactly is the "Size of the Woofer" going to help you decide to buy something (which you claim you already own)?
Lol. And the answer as to size is in the very first reply in this thread, that the OP shot down as "rubbish". Not understanding the associated humour in the answer, it would appear.
Userlevel 7
@ jgatie and Kumar

I have a hearing in front of the Senate Hearing Committee on Loud Noise Created by Overly Large Speaker Components. Can you guys represent me?:8
Userlevel 7
You guys are killing me :):):):):):):D:D:D:D;););););)

I think it's time the moderators shut this tread down. :? JMO 🆒
Or move on. The man has become an awful bore.
Unless you better understand what you call Law of Sound - whatever on earth that is - no one can help you with your rubbish.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi augustya, for some reason your post kept getting flagged as spam. I saved them, but deleted most of the duplicates.

Let's all try to keep thing friendly. There are a bunch of posts here that are against our code of conduct on the board, but for the moment I'm leaving them for the sake of the conversation.

I would like to add that the measurements are largely diameters here, it's made horizontally, but the woofer is circular.

You can see an exploded view of the PLAY:5 without its covering here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan and this would be also the case with Audio Industry as a whole right ? When an audio company publishes that a woofer or a tweeter is some inches, it generally means and generally the industry standard is to refer it to horizontally, diagonally right ?

Often times, these measurements are of circular objects, if there's just one dimension, it's the diameter, no matter which point on the circumference you start with, it's the same to the opposite side.

Also, I removed that post of yours above, please keep it friendly here. The community is always more willing to help when we're all being pleasant.
What matters for bass reproduction is the total surface area of the woofers, and their excursion. Three woofers in concert offer the same surface area as one much larger woofer, while keeping the enclosure size minimal. Long excursion, with powerful magnets to keep it under control, allow sufficient movement of air over the entire surface area that the Play:5, per the article I posted, can faithfully reproduce frequencies down to about 30Hz. As the article notes, it shamed some very expensive bookshelf speakers.
I would go for the two PLAY:5s for stereo separation, and the SUB to kick the bass.