Answered

What are people using for USB C charger for Sonos Move?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

143 replies

@YtJ 
This power adapter/charger (link below) certainly works, as I used to have this one for my Sonos Move when out and about ‘glamping’, at least that’s until my Son ‘borrowed’ it.🤷‍♂️
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CVFMGL1

It should charge two Moves at the same time, but I never did try it with two, but it can charge an iPhone XR or an iPad Pro at the same time as charging a Move, which I found useful.

Other products that are similar, and maybe cheaper etc; are also available on Amazon and elsewhere online, but look for those that are certified and support PD and output the 45w as mentioned earlier.

Userlevel 7

Below are components I use to charge my Move.  1 and 2 via electrical outlet. 2 and 3 outdoors for power boost before the battery drains.

1. Wall Plug
  2. USB-C Cable
  3. Portable Power Brick

I’m wondering how much time you’ve given these charger to work? I’m not sure (and I mean that literally) that Sonos knows/cares what kind of charger is connected, as long as it matches the minimum input voltage and amperage. It might be slower than their own charger, but I’d think electricity is electricity.

I’m sure I read somewhere that USB-C charger for the 'Move' needs to output at any of these three levels: 12V/3A15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A. 

Presumably the last two will charge a little quicker at 45w.

Userlevel 2

I’m wondering how much time you’ve given these charger to work? I’m not sure (and I mean that literally) that Sonos knows/cares what kind of charger is connected, as long as it matches the minimum input voltage and amperage. It might be slower than their own charger, but I’d think electricity is electricity.

Seriously? Let me explain that I tried each and every one of these devices here in this link - and not a single one charges the sonos AT ALL. So i’m afraid your “electricity is electricity” is a little too simplistic here. Clearly Sonos have decided that only “special” electricity is enough - which is exactly the opposite of the point of Power Delivery USB-C charging specs! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for the details list@AjTrek1

@Jake_11, do you know which MacBook charger you have? Are you sure it’s the 61W one? Also, are you using the standard cord that comes with it, or another cord? That issue I mentioned with the MacBook chargers was identified during the testing Move before it launched, and we’re currently still looking into the problem. For that particular issue, unplugging the cable on both ends for a few minutes should fix it until it gets into that state again. We don’t have an official USB-C PD charger at this time, and don’t have a specific list of recommended ones. We’ve seen a lot that will work, and really any that meet these requirements should work:

The power adapter must be USB-C PD. For 45W operation the PD source must put out either 20V/2.25A (or higher current) or 15V/3A (or higher current). For 36W operation the PD source must put out 12V/3A or 15V/2.4A and charging speed is reduced if listening to audio at the same time. Anything less than 36W will not power or charge Move.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Jake, from what I can tell, that charger should work. Make sure that you’ve updated the software on your Move to the latest build. That issue I mentioned above should be resolved with the Sonos software version 10.5.

Userlevel 7

@bblaauw 

The USB-C port on item 4 is Output to supply DC power to the Move after it’s internal battery is drained and there is no electrical outlet. Items 2 and 3 are used to recharge item 4 using item 1 after item 4’s charge is depleted. Got it! :thinking::grinning:

Cheers!

Thrilled to come across this thread as I have been experiencing this with my Move on holiday vacation and am so frustrated. I didn’t bother bringing the a Sonos charger, and am getting the worst intermittent charging performance from the Move with the two MacBook chargers I have along on my trip.

As I’m in a remote setting, I can’t buy the recommended charging apparatus now. Has anyone had any luck with resets or software fixes? 

@Ryan S any update on this? I bought the Move launch weekend, so I assume it’s an early unit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi AndrewBrian, there were some improvements made for the Macbook charging cables in the Sonos software version 10.5, so if you have that build, as long as your chargers meet the requirements listed in the thread, they should work fine.

The power adapter must be USB-C PD. For 45W operation the PD source must put out either 20V/2.25A (or higher current) or 15V/3A (or higher current). For 36W operation the PD source must put out 12V/3A or 15V/2.4A and charging speed is reduced if listening to audio at the same time. Anything less than 36W will not power or charge Move.

What kind of intermittent issues are you seeing with your charging cables?

It doesn’t sound like a problem with that particular unit, as AjTrek1 says, it can be picky sometimes. Have you tried a different cable or another charger that is known to work? I’ve seen some Macbook chargers work, but that doesn’t mean all will.

@Ryan S Yes, I’ve tried three different MacBook chargers and an iPad charger, with about six different USB-C cables. I can also try a Lenovo USB-C charger that I have. But it does seem like there’s something more going on, since the chargers are providing more than enough power and the Move just isn’t drawing it. I’ll let you know when I try the Lenovo charger.

Using this well priced wall charger and it works great: 

USB C Wall Charger Omars 45W 

I just received a MOVE ordered directly from Sonos today 16 Jan 2020 and if I connect my MacPro power adapter it works fine at charging the MOVE. The orange charging light comes on for approx 10 seconds and then goes out. Then I’m left with a lightning symbol on the battery in my Sonos App on my iPhone. This would suggest anyone finding it doesn’t work, either has a faulty MOVE, some other Mac PSU model numbers don’t work or the physical connection between MOVE socket and Mac PSU is a little off (assuming the Mac PSU works fine for your other Mac devices). Hope you get a replacement MOVE or find some other fix soon enough. Good luck!

I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083N9HVBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it’s not plug and play. sometimes it charges the move, sometimes it doesn't. 

Would help if Sonos listed one on their website

Badge

I’ve tried several USB-C PD chargers, including the one below, with the exact specs required for Sonos Move. Unfortunately even the amber LED in the front lights up for the whole duration the charger is connected, no charging occurs. It would have been so difficult for Sonos to allow charging the speaker from any PD enabled charger, even at a lower speed? This is my first Sonos product, with high expectations for the price, but I’m already disappointed. How many chargers I have to buy just to find the right one?

Badge

And to spare some people the frustration, I also own loads of other Anker’s and none of them worked - please note, the following chargers do NOT work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUTIUEA
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HIR9R
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WLTPTY

Power Delivery protocol is supported only over USB-C connectors, but anyway, something else is specifically required by Sonos, as just chargers following specifications (15V/3A or 20V/2.25A) are not enough (see my post above).

Badge

Would help if Sonos listed one on their website

Unless they have some sort of partnership with them, Sonos never makes recommendations on third party hardware.

Then they must provide the full required specifications for the charger/cable, as only voltage/current is not enough. Is a shame.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I think some of the issues are that the cable AND charger must also be PD rated?  Of the three listed in the Amazon post above none looked to be PD compatible chargers and one was also less than 45W

Sonos Manual stated Power Sources

• USB port (USB type C PD power with 45W, 20V/2.25A).

Badge

I think some of the issues are that the cable AND charger must also be PD rated? 

• USB port (USB type C PD power with 45W, 20V/2.25A)

The charger from the picture is with the USB-C cable integrated and following PD specification, as you can see, but Move is not charged.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I can’t see where it says it is PD rated?

Badge

https://www.chiconypower.com/en/item/view?item_id=554

First one from the list.

I have tens of USB-C PD cheargeable devices (including notebooks, chromebooks, tablets, portable speakers, smartphones) and all of them can be charged with this charger except one. Guess which one.

To present as a feature that Sonos Move can be charged over PD USB-C is a clear exaggeration.

And, by the way… here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3640?language=en_US

is specified that:

“We recommend using a 45 watt USB-C PD charger, outputting a minimum of 20V/2.25A or 12V/3A. You may also use a 36 watt charger that outputs at least 12V/3A or 14V/2.4A, but the charging speed will be reduced.”

So, is stated “we recommend”, not “is mandatory”. More, 14V/2.4A does not follow any standard and PD for sure not. Anyone can asume that if a lower power PD charger is used, the charging speed will be lower, but will continue to charge the Move, which is not true at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’m not trying to argue I was just pointing out that when looking to purchase that charger it does not state PD, and nor did it on the case so thought that might be the issue.  I do wonder if Sonos has implemented the later PD standards. 

I too would like a compatible charger to travel with that will also work with my iPad.

As an aside USB standards in general are becoming a confusing mess, and I’m not saying that exonerates Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Anyway, is not something expected from a company like Sonos, to count on users to test their own product compatibility. A list of compatible/certified chargers must be presented on their web site.

Totally agree. 

The charge issue along with the power discharge bug has turned me off from buying one. I'll stick with my old bt speaker for now.

Badge

I still hope that  both problems will be solved through a firmware update, as I really like the sound of this little speaker. 

Another issue for me is with the Google assistant. The execution of voice commands is very slow comparing with a Google Home device.