Switch off WiFi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from Sonos One

• 27 January 2020
  • 92 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

92 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though enlightening for most, I do not think you’ll convince the people concerned about this…….

2 meters, close by, 1500 +

going outside in the city is a problem.

bt is a different signal the WiFi and 4g.

it hops 1600 times per second, and that’s what se is feeling. Nasty signal.

Average sunlight is 1000 W/m2, an intensity 40 Million times your Bluetooth.  Now that’s a “Nasty Signal”.  

Good grief. :rolling_eyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

Enough said.

BLE was 25 uW/m2…. 24/7 that’s a lot.

At what distance?  

BTW I hope you don’t go outside, especially when it’s sunny, still less get on an aircraft. 

2 meters, close by, 1500 +

going outside in the city is a problem.

bt is a different signal the WiFi and 4g.

it hops 1600 times per second, and that’s what se is feeling. Nasty signal.

At what distance?  

BTW I hope you don’t go outside, especially when it’s sunny, still less get on an aircraft. 

Agreed that bluetooth is always ON as measured with an RF meter emitting ~200uW/m2 continuously after initial setup which is totally unnecessary. The fact that it's bluetooth LE is irrelevant.

My workaround is to wrap my Beam with RF shielding metal thread material and it lowers the level to ~3uW/m2 which is acceptable to me.  The bluetooth antenna seems to be in the middle of the Beam near the buttons. The issue with this is that you need to cover the touch buttons with the RF shielding.

I have some One’s outside wall mounted and it's not really practical to cover these.

Next, I plan to pull them apart and either a) cut the bluetooth antenna or b) shield internally.  If anyone has circuit diagrams please yell out.

To SONOS product engineers, this is a simple fix in your next hardware build.  Just add a physical on/off button for WiFi and bluetooth please, rather than driving a growing number of electrosensitive people away from your great products.

Just disconnect the top cable, you lose the buttons, light and mic, but no BT signal any more 👍

Hi All

I have a very quick and simple question:

• Can I SWITCH OFF the Wifi and Bluetooth PERMANENTLY from my Sonos One?

I am keen on using Sonos One connected to my Router via a Ethernet cable and also because I want to reduce the EMF Radiation in my Flat.

Thanks in advance

N

Just disconnect the top cable, you lose the buttons, light and mic, but no BT signal any more 👍

No warranty either.

Yep, I know.

Extreme, destructive measures for eliminating a tiny amount of RF energy (the clue is in the name ‘BLE’) when there’d doubtless be more from neighbour WiFi signals. And that’s assuming one doesn’t have WiFi of one’s own (which happens to be a Sonos system requirement). 

Ask my girlfriend(tiny amount), se is glad that i solved it. only for installation wifi is required. 8 screws and a cable, that’s all, and reconnecting is easy.

The system is by cable connected.

We do not use WiFi or 4g.

And we use protection against WiFi from the neighbours and cellphone towers.

Now 0.8 uW/M2 in the living.

0.2 in bed.

Hi All

I am keen on using Sonos One connected to my Router via a Ethernet cable and also because I want to reduce the EMF Radiation in my Flat.

Thanks in advance

N

No warranty either.

Yep, I know.

Extreme, destructive measures for eliminating a tiny amount of RF energy (the clue is in the name ‘BLE’) when there’d doubtless be more from neighbour WiFi signals. And that’s assuming one doesn’t have WiFi of one’s own (which happens to be a Sonos system requirement). 

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

No warranty either.

Yep, I know.

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

No warranty either.

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

Agreed that bluetooth is always ON as measured with an RF meter emitting ~200uW/m2 continuously after initial setup which is totally unnecessary. The fact that it's bluetooth LE is irrelevant.

My workaround is to wrap my Beam with RF shielding metal thread material and it lowers the level to ~3uW/m2 which is acceptable to me.  The bluetooth antenna seems to be in the middle of the Beam near the buttons. The issue with this is that you need to cover the touch buttons with the RF shielding.

I have some One’s outside wall mounted and it's not really practical to cover these.

Next, I plan to pull them apart and either a) cut the bluetooth antenna or b) shield internally.  If anyone has circuit diagrams please yell out.

To SONOS product engineers, this is a simple fix in your next hardware build.  Just add a physical on/off button for WiFi and bluetooth please, rather than driving a growing number of electrosensitive people away from your great products.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you can use the feature - you use it when you set up the system. It is just not used for music.

You could buy a Gen 1 One or a Play:1 - bit speakers do without bluetooth.

To this point, no, they have not.

Has Sonos provided an update to disable the bluetooth module?   There is no need for it to be always on, especially considering you can’t even use the feature anyway.  Thinking of buying Sonos One but waiting for this update before doing so.  Thank you.

Hi All

Thanks in advance

N

WiFi, yes.  Bluetooth, no.  

I also found that bluetooth is always on. I bought the Sonos One primarily because I wanted to avoid the EMF radiation of Wifi-only devices like the Echos. Sonos, please respond whether there is/will be a solution.

Userlevel 1
Badge

It is possible that they are using some low-end bluetooth chipset that does not allow itself to be disabled.

I just found out by accident that the Sonos One has Bluetooth enabled permanently (both speakers in my bedroom were found by my phone when I turned on Bluetooth and scanned for available devices) Although I’m not afraid of EMF, I don’t need 2 EMF emitting devices next to my bed. I replaced the Sonos One speakers with the Sonos Play:1 which I had no longer used.

In my opinion there is no need for an always on Bluetooth device in the Sonos One. I can control the speaker via voice or the Sonos desktop app on my PC or Mac. Even if I had Wifi turned on and wanted to control the speakers with my phone, I could do that via already available Wifi – no need to add more EMF sources.

I had decided to purchase the Sonos Ones because they were the only smart speakers which could be used with a wired connection and had Alexa Support. Had I known that Bluetooth is always enabled, I could have bought Amazon speakers for less money. Unlike Amazon’s or Apple’s speakers, from which is known up front that their devices work with WLAN only, I feel mislead by Sonos – no mentioning of always on Bluetooth on their web side’s product description or Amazons, where I bought the speakers. At least I didn’t see any notes.

I’m thinking about selling my 2 Sone Ones. And I think I will invest no additional money into Sonos products. Their rivals speakers are getting smarter and are cheaper. The Sonos USP is gone for me with always on Bluetooth.

I consider Sonos’ behavior in this matter disrespectful to their customers health. We simply don’t know yet how the long-term exposure to today’s massive EMF exposure will affect ones health over 50 or more years.

Can the Sonos One  product owner/manager please comment on whether Bluetooth can be turned off in the future. Thanks.

I agree. Unethical and unhealthy for Sonos to not allow bluetooth to be turned off.  I will not buy another Sonos speaker again and will tell everyone that i know not to buy sonos speakers due to them being unhealthy.  Why have an ethernet port if you can't turn off both the wifi and the bluetooth?

Bluetooth is only active when setting up.  WiFi can be turned off in the settings menu:

How to disable or enable WiFi on your Sonos players

Wrong.  Bluetooth is always on even after setup

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just installed 16 Amp devices, and with the latest f/w, bluetooth is definitely still turned on after installation. This is not a good thing, since bluetooth uses the same 2.4GHz frequency as 802.11, and yet does not follow any of the traffic control of regular wifi. It is like a very rude neighbor, and definitely should be disabled after setup is complete.

One wonders if this contributes to the wifi issues that the majority of my Amps experienced when relying on wifi. They are all in a rack, with an AP a couple feet away, and yet continuously dropped off the network. Fortunately I was planning on connecting them to my switch anyway (yes, in daisy chained groups of 4, with line-in devices on each Amp closest to the switch).

Hi Bruce, in our house all build in power cables are shielded against EMF, additionally, in the central power box circuit brakers have been installed, which cut the current when devices like lights are turned off. The outer walls contain a layer, which shields against EMF from cell phone masts. Every room has 6 ethernet ports. It was an option, we could select when our house was planned.

Despite all of that and working in tech, I have no problem using wireless devices when needed. A tablet for example would lose all its advantages when being hooked up to an ethernet cable. What I don’t like is avoidable EMF emitting. Speakers with an ethernet port certainly fall into this category.

Why do you call the Sonos speakers Wifi speakers? I can turn off Wifi in the app settings. So, they become non-Wifi-speakers, or not? Is there something I have not yet comprehended? Do the (stereo) speakers still commute via their own Wifi net?

Since you wrote that BLE is only turned on during setup, I powered up the “Ones” to conform that. My laptop found the 2 devices, they each disappeared when pulling the power cord from the speakers. If there was no Bluetooth (regardless of BLE or not), my Laptop would not find them.

The only Sonos device with Bluetooth is the Sonos Move. All other current products have Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) for set up purposes only, which doesn’t carry any music signal. 

I am confused as to why you chose to purchase WiFi speakers if you’re only interested in a wired solution. 

Do you also shield the power supply and electrical cables to block the EMF they generate?

I just found out by accident that the Sonos One has Bluetooth enabled permanently (both speakers in my bedroom were found by my phone when I turned on Bluetooth and scanned for available devices) Although I’m not afraid of EMF, I don’t need 2 EMF emitting devices next to my bed. I replaced the Sonos One speakers with the Sonos Play:1 which I had no longer used.

In my opinion there is no need for an always on Bluetooth device in the Sonos One. I can control the speaker via voice or the Sonos desktop app on my PC or Mac. Even if I had Wifi turned on and wanted to control the speakers with my phone, I could do that via already available Wifi – no need to add more EMF sources.

I had decided to purchase the Sonos Ones because they were the only smart speakers which could be used with a wired connection and had Alexa Support. Had I known that Bluetooth is always enabled, I could have bought Amazon speakers for less money. Unlike Amazon’s or Apple’s speakers, from which is known up front that their devices work with WLAN only, I feel mislead by Sonos – no mentioning of always on Bluetooth on their web side’s product description or Amazons, where I bought the speakers. At least I didn’t see any notes.

I’m thinking about selling my 2 Sone Ones. And I think I will invest no additional money into Sonos products. Their rivals speakers are getting smarter and are cheaper. The Sonos USP is gone for me with always on Bluetooth.

I consider Sonos’ behavior in this matter disrespectful to their customers health. We simply don’t know yet how the long-term exposure to today’s massive EMF exposure will affect ones health over 50 or more years.

Can the Sonos One  product owner/manager please comment on whether Bluetooth can be turned off in the future. Thanks.