Sonos Roam power button - poor implementation

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Pressing the button for short (sleep), 2s (bt connect) and 5+seconds works fine. 

However. Roam does not stay off, when buttons is pressed 5+ seconds and the off-chime sounded. It shows offline in the Sonos App, and after a few minutes, returning to the app and looking at the devices, it is back online.

This has resulted many times in drained battery, which is a bit disappointing when the Roam has been advertised with long-lasting batterylife.

At first I thought, the battery of my device just wasn’t very good. Even when only using the provided (extra ordered) Sonos Wireless Charger. But then I found, the device turns itself back on… and draines battery without being used. Is this just because there are other Sonos devices in the app which are being used more often?

Anyway, nice product, but I hope Sonos will improve power management and consumption...

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @chrisjph  - if you’re not getting any kind of click from the power button, then it may be worth reaching out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call :)

Xander, I don’t think that’s accurate.  Generally there is no obvious tactile response from pressing the power button.  If I want to bring it out of standby, I can only tell the press worked if the led light comes on.  Many others have commented on this as well.   There is no clicky feel (like the buttons on the top) -- and, unfortunately, I don’t think there is supposed to be one.   

Thank you for your comments.  I contacted Sonos and they’re telling me that the button on the roam is supposed to be a slight push.  Again, nonsensical for a portable speaker you should be able to throw in a bag.  Even a hardshell case would do the trick.

Userlevel 1

I agree that the button design is mechanically poor implementation (little to no tactile feedback, too small, wrong shape, etc.) and overly relied upon for too many functions.  There’s too much emphasis in product design for “clean” design, void of buttons, knobs and so forth.  Just not good - should be a dedicated on/off button, dedicated paring button.  

Userlevel 2

Thanks James L. I will definitely do maybe even today after work. And if I am happy with how the demo unit works and feel I will definitely buy one straight away and will report back to this forum in any case. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks @caesar327, it is good to know I am not on my own! This could even be a quality control issue I guess, so In the next few days I will try to test a few units in stores if I can. 

I agree with you the button is narrow and shallow which makes it difficult to operate. Allowing wake from any button will be great but it should be easier to fully power down the unit whenever you want to. It is a basic function that simply should work better!

Userlevel 2

Yes, saw that one as well which prompted me to write here. 

I agree with your comments, especially the one on the remote control of power.  I have alarms set to turn on a radio station at times and there are instances where I have been away and find on my return that the speakers have been playing to themselves for days at a time.  I have implemented an alarm turn off after a period but that is not perfect.  Sonos should provide a “sleep” control that inhibits alarms and is actionable from the app or windows app etc.