Sonos Roam power button - poor implementation

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I cannot detect anything I would describe as a click. either in feel or in sound.  But does it turn off and on as required every time I push the button?  Yes it does, now I know what is needed. 

Do I get confirmation that the press has been effective - yes, a light comes on and goes off.

So for me it is of little significance and certainly not enough to forego the many great features.  I of course respect the right of others to take a different view.

Userlevel 2

Yes, saw that one as well which prompted me to write here. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @dggontan, welcome to the community.

The Roam’s power button should click when pressed, so it sounds like your unit was defective. The click isn’t as noticeable as the top cap buttons (volume controls, play/pause etc) but you should feel a bump/click when pressing it. I encourage you to check out some demo units in stores to confirm how they should feel :slight_smile:

Just adding more confirmation, that others are finding similar issues with the “feel” of the power button -- see this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/muytpm/sonos_roam_power_button_not_responsiveclicky/

Userlevel 2

Thanks @caesar327, it is good to know I am not on my own! This could even be a quality control issue I guess, so In the next few days I will try to test a few units in stores if I can. 

I agree with you the button is narrow and shallow which makes it difficult to operate. Allowing wake from any button will be great but it should be easier to fully power down the unit whenever you want to. It is a basic function that simply should work better!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @dggontan, welcome to the community.

The Roam’s power button should click when pressed, so it sounds like your unit was defective. The click isn’t as noticeable as the top cap buttons (volume controls, play/pause etc) but you should feel a bump/click when pressing it. I encourage you to check out some demo units in stores to confirm how they should feel :slight_smile:

There is no clear tactile response on mine either.  The button is not easy to use as it is narrow and shallow.   Hence the need for allowing wake from ANY button press. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks James L. I will definitely do maybe even today after work. And if I am happy with how the demo unit works and feel I will definitely buy one straight away and will report back to this forum in any case. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi all,

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Roam this week. First Sonos product for me, but I love the brand and my interactions with other Sonos products in the past (friends, showrooms) have always been great. 

Unfortunately, I sent my Roam back to Sonos for a refund. The problem? That power button at the back.  Everything else is excellent, sound, design, size, I love it. But the power button is a really poor implementation. There is no click whatsoever unless you press the button really strongly. I never knew if I was successful switching it on or off. If you press the button a bit on one side it just doesn’t work. It got on my nerves and I ended up sending it back. 

I was thinking maybe I got a bad unit, but I have seen a few comments in Reddit which are consistent with my experience. 

how is it working for you? I might go to a brick & mortar store to try one out. If I can confirm all units are the same I will have to wait until this is fixed or get an alternative brand which, to be honest, I am not happy about. 

thanks

Agreed - the power button IS a problem. You are not alone.  I wouldn’t mind except you need to use that button fairly often to wake the Roam (unless you want to fumble with the app or charge it).   I have asked Sonos to implement using a button press on any of the top cap buttons (play/pause) to wake it.  Indeed, most devices any button press does and should wake it.  

if they did that, the power button funkiness wouldn’t be as big of a deal.  As there should be little reason to use it then after initial setup.  It sleeps on its own fairly quickly.  And I don’t foresee needing to completely power it down.   

This definitely was an engineering miss- likely related to waterproofing.  But allowing wake from any button would go a long way to resolving issues presented by the power button.  And it seems it should be an easy software fix.  

Badge +17

Hi @dggontan, welcome to the community.