Question

Sonos power consumption

• 19 December 2016
  • 29 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

So, why Sonos provided ethernet port on each of their product, if this system is just thought to be wireless?
WOL can be applied also to WiFi, not just ethernet. As it can be made configurable (enabled/disabled), it's just an end user choice how to use the system. If they had this implemented, they surely enlarge the audience, with very low efforts, as i said.
About the wasted 1 watt or 2... it depends on the usage one will make of the product. In my case, that maybe is not just the case of a vanishingly tiny minority, i cannot accept to keep the audio system idle consuming a couple of watts 20 hrs/day (for each speaker): assuming i can listen music/watch TV 4 hours/day, that is a lot, with those figures energy consumed when system is idle is the same as when the system is playing music -> very poor efficiency!
Come on, we're in 2016 and there are ways to make it better! And WOL is one method, also considering that probably the Atheros controller used for ethernet already has this function, and from design point of view they just need to route a couple more wires and pay few hours of firmware development to implement the feature. They've redesigned Play 5, why not redesign also the other products to meet next generation performances?
But, after all, they will make their choice, i'll make mine, i just need to know what can be done and what cannot be done, and decide the way to go.
Thanks
Sonos is a wireless music system. Ethernet WOL would be of interest to a vanishingly tiny minority: those with an all-wired system. In SonosNet mode the wireless nodes depend on the wired nodes to be fully active so they can actually communicate.

Reducing idle consumption is clearly a Sonos priority since, as you observe, the later models (BOOST, PLAY:5 Gen2) have considerably lower figures. If a matter of a watt or two really bothers you, good luck with your search for an alternative product.
So, i'm close to conclude Sonos products are not applicable to my case. The play 5 2nd gen seems to have reduced power consumption to 1W when in idle, that is good, but the cost is too high.

BTW, as electronic engineer, i can say that adding the WOL function is very easy and making it configurable by user just enlarge the audience without sacrifice usability in other use cases. When WOL is active all the rest of circuits can be turned off and the whole unit consumption can be less than 0.5W!

Probably if Sonos didn't implemented WOL til now is because they designed the HW without support for this function, otherwise it was just a matter of firmware change to add this functionality, that do not to change the philosophy of their mesh system.

If Sonos tell me they will implement WOL on play 1, i'll buy it immediately, otherwise i'll look for something else.
1) i found that power consumption of Sonos Play:1 is 3.8W when in idle mode, no music playing (+0.3W if connected by ethernet). Is it possible to put the speker in sleep mode and wake it up by a WOL magic packet?
Sonos doesn't support WOL. The processor remains active, and indeed so does the wireless interface, so as to be able to respond instantly to a controller.

2) as i plan to not use the wifi, is it possible to disable the WIFi functionality of the speaker?

This practice is not officially supported by Sonos at all, but google will find the instructions for you. Allegedly disabling the radio can reduce idle consumption by up to 2W.