Sonos Play : 5 + Sonos SUB will it live up to my expectation ?

• 21 November 2017
  • 37 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Badge
Good grief. Buy it, take it home, try it out. If it is not to your liking, Sonos gives a 45 day return period. Note: That return period may not apply to your local dealer, but it does if you buy from Sonos direct.

This trying and returning if not good does not work out for me ! I am in India and Sonos does not sell officially here neither on its own nor through a dealer ! So I have to take a very accurate shot, judgement call, as if I buy it and then repent it I will not be able to return. I will buy it from abroad and out of the return window !
I have to take a very accurate shot, judgement call, as if I buy it and then repent it I will not be able to return.
Good summary. I did just that in 2014 and have no regrets, but my needs are a little more subtle than your thunderous bass. For my music listening pleasure, a well anchored midrange is where it lies and the Sub does that brilliantly.
Badge
So guys I have been thinking about this, but still have some questions which have been unanswered! I also called the Sonos Technical Support and even they seem to not to have any accurate answer on this. Can anyone here further enlighten me on this ? So let's imagine a situation that I have the Play:5 and let's say the Play:5 (Hypothetically speaking) gives 240 Watts of power now if I add a wireless Sonos Sub to it the output is not going to increase right ? Then How is adding an external Sub going to enhance the Bass of this entire set up ? Will this set up Play:5+Sonos SUB have more BASS than let's say a traditional 2.1 set up ? Any real audiophile, music lover would not compromise for a Play:5 kind of portable device where you have to compromise on sound, going by the simple law the more portable you go the more you compromise on sound. So guys how will the Play:5+Sonos Sub stack up against a traditional 2.1 set up ?
Badge

Are you in India ? Do you not have your PM activated ?
No, I have it turned off.
Any real audiophile, music lover would not compromise for a Play:5 kind of portable device where you have to compromise on sound, going by the simple law the more portable you go the more you compromise on sound. So guys how will the Play:5+Sonos Sub stack up against a traditional 2.1 set up ?
There is no such law, except in the minds of audiophiles that are clueless about what technology can accomplish today. Or about psychoacoustics.
Badge

There is no such law, except in the minds of audiophiles that are clueless about what technology can accomplish today. Or about psychoacoustics.

Absolutely there is, there is a Law of Physics, Law of Sound. The Output speaks for itself,compare a Sonos Play:5 and put it against a good 2.1 speaker system with two satellite speakers and a dedicated Sub-Woofer and lets see what sounds the best ? There is no mind, it is reality, what one listens and hears.It is Physics and law of sound !:S
Badge
coming back to my question, I was looking forward for an answer on my question posted earlier.

"So let's imagine a situation that I have the Play:5 and let's say the Play:5 (Hypothetically speaking) gives 240 Watts of power now if I add a wireless Sonos Sub to it the output is not going to increase right ? Then How is adding an external Sub going to enhance the Bass of this entire set up ? Will this set up Play:5+Sonos SUB have more BASS than let's say a traditional 2.1 set up ?"
Badge
In the beginning i was like you chasing watt. as much as possible. then one day i happened to listen to sonos and that was about it. The clarity of the sound was amazing. no mather how high you crank the speaker you will NOT get any distortion.
Just like the others says. Take them home for a nightstand 🙂. you wil be amazed by the Sonos bass. if you want a 2.1 setup play5 and sub, advise your neighbor to start looking for a new place to move in. good luck!
Badge
you wil be amazed by the Sonos bass. if you want a 2.1 setup play5 and sub, advise your neighbor to start looking for a new place to move in. good luck!

Thats what I am trying to figure out here will a Play:5 and a Sonos SUB match the same BASS that created out of a 2.1 set up ?
Badge
just a question. do you intend to get 1 Play 5 and a Sub and creat the sound of a 2.1 setup?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thats what I am trying to figure out here will a Play:5 and a Sonos SUB match the same BASS that created out of a 2.1 set up ?
This question is unanswerable without knowing the 2.1 comparator. If you want a setup that is mostly a 'bass machine', I'd look elsewhere, as well as focusing on options that you can hear before buying.