Sonos 5 line Only ( no delay )

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Badge

Yep, i was using the Sonos device for just Internet Radio in my living room due to this issue.

Now it is back to life and using it on my Mac

I think Sonos should create a proper Workaround for people who just want to use Line-in mode and still be able to control the product through the App ( Equalizer. etc … )

Even when setting the delay to 75ms, it is still noticeable and very annoying when playing movies, however as soon as you unplug the cable ( make sure Wifi was not initially set-up ) delay is gone.

Regardless of anything else, if it works for you, it works! So enjoy.

Badge

As per something more challenging, you guys have to try that out.

Badge

I am currently using Sonos on my Mac, but also tried it on a Mobile Phone, Airport Express using Airplay and TV.

Even when setting the delay to 75ms, it is still noticeable and very annoying when playing movies, however as soon as you unplug the cable ( make sure Wifi was not initially set-up ) delay is gone.

As per proving there is no lag, you can simply try it and connect to a TV, pref to be a video playback so you can notice if there is any delay or not.

I think as Kumar said, it should work on any device.

No, something more challenging like DJing is needed - the TV lipsync is so “loose” as it is, that I don't see any issues even when the delay is being added by Sonos, and not even when I watch things like strumming, or drumming, closely on music videos where sound is via Sonos Connect. Sometimes in my set up I even wonder if there are two opposite delays happening offsetting each other significantly!

But soon enough someone will post something definitive on this, I am sure!

Badge

Hello Everyone

This work around works, and i am using it as we speak

Sonos Model is PLAY:5 Gen 1

Regarding Sound delay, i am not exactly sure, but seems whenever Sonos App or smart features gets involved in sound routing, the delay occurs, when Network is switched off, the delay from Lin-in disappears, that said, i can assume Sonos is creating additional processing for the sound input causing the delay.

Regarding grouping Sonos speakers, not sure either as i only have one, but i can assume that it won’t work, but you can try enabling the feature then disconnecting the ethernet and trying it out ( maybe connect both Sonos ad-hoc mode via ethernet cable? ) 

As per proving there is no lag, you can simply try it and connect to a TV, pref to be a video playback so you can notice if there is any delay or not.

I think as Kumar said, it should work on any device.

I cannot for the life of me think why this should work. I also struggle to believe it could have remained undiscovered through the whole history of Sonos. 

But I shall suspend disbelief for the moment and ask exactly how you are proving there is no lag and with which device?

If it works on any version, it should work on all I should think, the delay is there for essential foundational needs as soon as there is more than one Sonos unit in the set up.

If.

It would be educational to know if this is a PLAY:5 Gen 1 or gen 2, or a Sonos Five, since there is no Sonos 5 speaker. 

3-connect audio jack from both ends, make sure you can hear the sound of the device connected and playing ( you will notice the delay )

4-disconnect or unplug the ethernet, no more delay, and Sonos can now be used as generic speaker.

Presumably, you have witnessed the delay disappearing as soon as you removed the ethernet wire, perhaps with a stutter caused by a forward time jump?

This is a very good workaround, if it works, I am surprised that it has not have been discovered till now.

Another question: so this Sonos speaker will not play in grouped mode with other Sonos kit, having become a stand alone unit lacking that and other smart features?

I am sure this claim will be tested soon over here, because it can be proved/disproved very easily.