Roam is always turning itself on and the battery is always dead making the roam unusable

• 25 April 2021
  • 96 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

You can probably expect the Roam to take around the 5 to 6 hours mark to charge it fully on a certified Qi charger and somewhere around the 2 to 3 hours mark to charge it using a 5v/2A-3A USB-C charger, but please don’t quote me, as that’s not something I’ve actually properly tested, it’s just my own guesstimate.

Has this battery drain issue been resolved as I am truly disappointed with the darn thing dying after it’s been fully charged via the cable and powered of for use later only to find its dead again!!! What is supposed to be a useful outdoor speaker is now useless ! Honestly it’s a waste of money and I feel it’s a bad product that hasn’t been properly developed for it’s supposed purpose!  Is it worth contacting support?

Ken, 
Thanks for that link. I’ve always been pronouncing that as “Kee”, rather that “Chee”. Good to know I was wrong, and will use the appropriate pronunciation from now on. 

Interesting read, beyond that nugget, too. :)

I always thought is was pronounced “Cue Eye”.

Anyway, OP’s battery issues don’t sound like it’s the typical experience.  Perhaps a defective unit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Are you turning the Roams off completely?  This requires at least 9 second press on the power button.  They then hold charge for weeks.

If you leave them in standby mode it’s best to leave them on Qi wireless chargers to keep them trickle charger.

I always thought is was pronounced “Cue Eye”.

Me too.👍

Has anyone received an update for this issue? 
thanks. 

thanks. 

Last update was 11th May, see this link for any new S2 App updates:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Nope.  No word on whether they are working on a fix so that use of the Sonos App doesn’t automatically wake the Roam.    All is silent.   My guess is that one day they (hopefully) will release an update that includes this.  Could be another 6 months or so, in order to complete QA/testing.   Or maybe they won’t do anything and consider the current state as how they want it to be?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

thanks. 

Last update was 11th May, see this link for any new S2 App updates:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521

I think the question was really whether Sonos is currently working on a fix.   The last App update did not include a fix for the Roam where it wakes every time you use the App.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ve returned my Roam. My family gave up using it since it was always dead from waking up.

@caesar327 had similar  expectations to you in terms of standby time.  

It’s a nice speaker but not really fit for my use case I suppose. 

Thanks. I’ll be sending mine back. Very disappointing. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@sdtheclub check the specs on that charger as it may not be able to deliver the minimum 1.5/amps 7.5 watts. I’ve read 5 watts posted by someone but I don’t think it’s right. 

“Charge with the included USB-C cable and any 5V/1.5A or 2.1A USB power adapter, a Qi-certified wireless charger, or the custom-designed Sonos Wireless Charger (sold separately).”

edit to add watts

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@sdtheclub check the specs on that charger as it may not be able to deliver the minimum 1.5/amps 7.5 watts. I’ve read 5 watts posted by someone but I don’t think it’s right. 

“Charge with the included USB-C cable and any 5V/1.5A or 2.1A USB power adapter, a Qi-certified wireless charger, or the custom-designed Sonos Wireless Charger (sold separately).”

edit to add watts

It’s a 5 watt charger which may not be right but it did work just fine charging my roam up until today. At this point I’m not going to run out and buy a charger as having to keep it on a charger when not in use is not what I’m wanting. Every time I use my other sonos speakers or the app my roam turns on and it never turns itself off so if it’s not on a charger it will be dead before you know it. If this is the way it’s and sonos isn’t going to change it then it’s sadly going back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The tech specs of the original Sonos wireless charger for roam show 5W as output. And i testet two third party QI chargers with 5W output and both were connected to a 5V 2,1W wall plug.  
One was working well, but with the other one the charging LED was flashing red. Imo this has to do with the size of the QI charger. The one making problems here is a very small one and roam doesn‘t match completely with the chargers plate. Just about 90% are fitting together. 
On the bigger one roam had no problems and was charging well. 

Yes, something to give us more control over sleep battery drain. I have 5 other Sonos devices on my network in addition to the Roam, and the Roam doesn’t need to wake up each time I use one of these (especially as the Beam is my TV sound). Nor does it need to wake whenever I foreground the Sonos app.

The only occasions when the Roam needs to wake is when I choose to play something on it. I’d be happy to wait a couple of secs for it to boot up. Certainly better than discovering that it has already drained the battery and won’t play anything.

Regards listening to calls to the voice assistant - it doesn’t need to be listening all the time. It could listen when I press a button - say the mic button switching the mic on at the same time. It’s a portable device one designed to be kept close or with you. I don’t need to be able to shout at it from across the other side of the room - like I can with the Beam.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The tech specs of the original Sonos wireless charger for roam show 5W as output. And i testet two third party QI chargers with 5W output and both were connected to a 5V 2,1W wall plug.  
One was working well, but with the other one the charging LED was flashing red. Imo this has to do with the size of the QI charger. The one making problems here is a very small one and roam doesn‘t match completely with the chargers plate. Just about 90% are fitting together. 
On the bigger one roam had no problems and was charging well. 

Thanks I see now that the Sonos one is listed as 5w output over Qi. I wonder why they state at least 1.5 amps/7.5 watts but qi is 5w. I’ve had a problem with my 5w qi charging the Roam, I think it’s plenty big but I’ll have to check not. 

Badge

I have terrible and sad experience with Roam. I guess my unit showed me all possible problems described in this thread. First, I had to update my system to S2, it was not problematic but I had to stop using Connect:Amp I bought a few years ago :frowning2:  Adding Roam to S2 in the app was not straightforward neither was the Bluetooth setup.

Since I managed to include Roam in my app together with 3 other rooms, the real problems started. Terrible battery life, every other time I tried to use Roam, it was out of power. Charging took too long, I could not turn it on and use while charging, it was not responding and I could only see an orange led light. When I left the Roam in the original magnetic charger for some time, the Roam became frozen, I had to restart it to start using it again. Sometimes the BT connection could not be established. I managed to move the sound to another device once or twice, most of the time it was simply not working. When I left fully charged Roam off the charger yesterday night, it was not responding in the morning (/off-line in the app) and I could not wake it up using any method described here. After charging for 30 minutes I could finaly restart it, it suddenly claimed 96% of power. My wife refused to use Roam. 

So I am sending it back to Sonos. 

My Sonos Roam experience is bad.  I’ve tried to power it off by holding down the power button down for 5 seconds or greater.  Come back later and the battery is drained or nearly drained.  Have to leave it on the charger (not Qi) all the time to be usuable.  I’m outside of the return window but ready to return it.

Userlevel 7

My Sonos Roam experience is bad.  I’ve tried to power it off by holding down the power button down for 5 seconds or greater.  Come back later and the battery is drained or nearly drained.  Have to leave it on the charger (not Qi) all the time to be usuable.  I’m outside of the return window but ready to return it.

Do you hear a descending chime when you power off the Roam? The chime is how you know it has been successfully turned off. If it is powered off completely, it should only lose 1%-2% of battery charge per day.

Badge

Note: You don’t have to stop using the C:A, just simply reset it and set it up using the S1 App - it will continue to work just fine.

@Ken_Griffiths Ken, that’s what I did. But I cannot use it as part of one multiroom system as you certainly know. That’s not “just fine” but very annoying and disappointing. Nevertheless I knew this before obtaining the Roam.

Thats your prerogative, but it sounds like you maybe using the power button incorrectly for what your perhaps attempting to achieve with the device. 

I spent a lot of time finding a solution, that’s not the problem. I did my very last test today. In the morning, I left charched Roam in a living room, near the wifi router. It was turned on in the morning so I guess it was in a stand-by mode during the day, I didn’t push any button, I just stopped the playback. Few hours ago I came back home. Roam was again “frozen”, the white led next to the logo was on but the unit didn’t react to any buttons, it was not visible in the Mac app and it was off-line in the phone app. I had to hold the power button for a long time to resurrect Roam.

I already have the return label so it is time to send the parcel back to Sonos. The positive effect is, I can downgrade back to S1 and control all rooms from one app. The negative effect is, I have to find a good battery powered player for my bathroom.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

My experience... 

I'm only getting about 4-5 hrs on 50% vol and 3 days standby.

Contacted support and they suggested I return for a refund and the possibly buy again in a few months when the issue is resolved and the speaker may be reduced in price!

@Spewy so Sonos support told you to return the speaker and buy when it may be cheaper in a few months?… That seems like a really strange marketing strategy, likely to tick a lot of early adopters off.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Well I’ve done the 5 second press and it’s showing as ‘Offline’ at present so will activate later to see if it’s held a charge fingers crossed. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7

Sonos told me that whenever you “foreground” the Sonos app, Roam speakers will turn on. Of course this is frustrating if you have other Sonos products. You use the app to turn other Sonos products off at night and the Roam comes on. Unless you turn it off, your battery is diminished or dead in the morning. So every night I have to track down the Roams (I own 2) to make sure they are off. I will not buy another Sonos product. I own two Play 1’s and two Roams. This is a fixable problem and they won’t fix it. We should be able to disable this functionality if we want to

Consider enabling Power Saver Mode in the Sonos app so the Roam will automatically turn off after being idle for 30 minutes instead of going into sleep mode. Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5085?language=en_US

Badge

Hi @MH92,

We were aware of an issue affecting some Roams on a certain version of firmware that could prevent them from waking from sleep, and your post seems to reflect this. This issue has since been fixed via a software update. If you still have your Roam, please turn it on and update it via the Sonos app and let us know if this solves the problem for you.

Hi @James L. , thank you for your suggestion but I did check for updates a few days ago so I guess I was using the latest available software. After my very bad one month experience with Roam and after reading this discussion forum, I have completely lost confidence in this device. It is also obvious the claimed battery life (up to 10 days in standby mode) has nothing to do with reality. I have already performed a factory reset and have no reason to make further experiments.

Badge +17

Hi @MH92,

We were aware of an issue affecting some Roams on a certain version of firmware that could prevent them from waking from sleep, and your post seems to reflect this. This issue has since been fixed via a software update. If you still have your Roam, please turn it on and update it via the Sonos app and let us know if this solves the problem for you.

Hi @James L. , thank you for your suggestion but I did check for updates a few days ago so I guess I was using the latest available software. After my very bad one month experience with Roam and after reading this discussion forum, I have completely lost confidence in this device. It is also obvious the claimed battery life (up to 10 days in standby mode) has nothing to do with reality. I have already performed a factory reset and have no reason to make further experiments.

Understood. The update I mentioned was released on Monday so there’s a chance you haven’t updated your Roam to that version yet. 

We’re here if you change your mind and decide to give it a try.