Reduce idle consumption energy level (currently around 5W)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

121 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
For people who wire all of their players you can actually reduce the 'low power' (or 'idle') energy consumption by disabling the internal Wi-Fi hardware. For example, rather than 5W on idle it'll be around 3 to 2W instead, just by disabling the Wi-Fi hardware. It may not be much but when looked at in regards to the overall scheme of things it can add up to quite a big bit of power saving.
I've done this myself and used equipment to measure the power draw with and without this hardware enabled.

While this is not officially supported by SONOS it is not something that will damage or hinder the capabilities of your players or system, SONOS just prefer the Wi-Fi aways be on in the off chance that you may decide to go wireless with one or more players.

You can give it a shot: http://vowe.net/archives/013907.html

@User873439
Most people want a scheduler to disable the complete Sonos at night. kmjy's proposal is only for advanced people that do not want to wait for a solution. But of course it works only if you do not disturb the Sonos.NET. In my case a set of Play:5 is connected through LAN beside the bridge.It does not make sense to have the Play:5 WLAN enabled as the other players are placed in the other direction of my house.
Badge +1
I wanted to buy two Sonos Play3s for two bedrooms - but no way am I going to add any more wifi to the six components I already have. Eight units at 5 watts each for a year and spraying us with wifi all the time - even while we sleep - it's just not on.
Badge

Why no response from SONOS on this very urgent problem or even much better why still wait for a good solution
Badge
sorry it should have been HEOS 7
I use a programmable remote power plug on my sonos Playbar, Sub and two rear "One" units so I can switch them off when I turn of the TV or Music, I also have another button to power of the TV. Other accessible sonos units in kitchen & bedroom are manually turned off when not required.
Before totting up savings and little bird love, also factor in the cost in money and environment impact of faster equipment replacement arising from shorter service life arising from power cycling it. No one can say what this is, but arguably it may cancel out leaving the little birds in the same place as before.

On the other hand, not covering the whole house has a more definite impact on little birds.
This thread is 4 years old. The 5 watts thing is now under 3 watts for the Play:5 and One.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This thread is 4 years old. The 5 watts thing is now under 3 watts for the Play:5 and One.
Wrong: my wattmeter on which my Play:1 is plugged says 5w, on idle status, after few hours of non use, not playing. I am in Europe with 230v power.
Si if Play:1 is above the listed specs from Sonos, I don't expect the Play:5 to be more accurate..

Kumar: I would be interested in statistics about the lifespan of PSU plug in all the time vs one being unplugged regularly.
Then we could compare the two and see if what is the less costly for the consumer between power savings + replacement vs plugged all the time...we are talking of years of ownership... so until my house is powered by solar panel, I will continue to care about power consumption of the devices which are always on.
Add up all the items in the house and all these tiny streams become rivers.

Kumar: I would be interested in statistics about the lifespan of PSU plug in all the time vs one being unplugged regularly.
Then we could compare the two
Add up all the items in the house and all these tiny streams become rivers.

See what I wrote earlier - this isn't available, but the phenomenon is known. So the only sure way to avoid rivers is to have less streams to start with. Or do something like what I do - turn off power to only those units that are not used on a daily basis and turn it on only when needed. Hopefully, this leaves me ahead on the equation with rooms where the music is needed once a week or less.
I also walk instead of using the car, as much as I can. Saves on doctor's bills as well that way. Isolated environmental gestures are usually not worth the trouble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A simple switch can save the idle power use, this type is handy if the outlet isn't handy:
https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-31324-CordMax-Polarized-Extension/dp/B003E46M60/ref=sr_1_4

This type works well if the outlet is easy to reach:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MYN3OO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Fancy and may well waste too much power you have ones like these:
https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00FAII824/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Sonos may not have a lot of options to reduce idle power further - the processor, Ethernet and WiFi all need to be available so the system can be contacted and told to wake up when needed. That doesn't leave a lot that could be powered down on a connect, on a player or connect amp there are the amplifiers, but I believe they are already being powered down at idle from looking at my (Play 3 and 5) power measurements.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My bad: I tested again the power consumption of my Play:1 with another wattmeter and in idle mode it draws 2.7W. Much better. But still a few watts x times the speakers....
I am looking for remote controlled switch so that I can easily turn on and off the speakers according to the needs. So thks to Stanley for the links, I will have a look tonight!!
Badge
Ill do someThis thread is 4 years old. The 5 watts thing is now under 3 watts for the Play:5 and One.

Are you referring to updated software? Or because of new hardware (new Play One, new play 5). My devices are all the old models (3x play1, 2x play3 and 1x playbar). Was there an improvement from software and if yes, when did it happen?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, moskito99. I have noticed that you have posted in two fairly dated topics. You're welcome to post in any thread that is still open, though you do stand a better chance of engaging in successful discussion if you start a new thread. I'll close this one now. Many thanks.
Maybe you can add some sort of power down update, or add switches to your latest models. When I first set it up, I kept pulling out the mains plug!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Initially I thought I was being stupid by unplugging my Sonos Connect after a listening session, but now I can see this is a common concern. If (or when) I buy an addition unit, the issue will become even more significant. As with a previous poster, I have noticed how warm the unit gets even when not "in play mode". This surely must reduce the MTBF
Userlevel 1
Just another deal breaker 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I disconnect most units when not used
I agree, an on/off switch or power down mode is needed. I just had my Play5 replaced because my the connector broke from pulling the plug in and out so many times. Now I have an on/off switch at the Receptacle.
Userlevel 1
Until Sonos has implemented power down and sleep modes in all their player models (not sure whether all existing hardware models support the features), right now the best improvisation is to use a programmable electronic timer (mechanical one is too noisy) at AC power outlet. This way you can avoid material fatigue and trouble in pulling and reinserting the plug regularly (not all AC outlets come with switch particularly those two-pin US sockets). If the features can be implemented in firmware/software of all Sonos media player models, then they should be included in next release of software update. It is the same issue as full support for Apple AirPlay protocol (without resorting to unnecessary use of Apple Airport Express). Sonos product developers should learn to take users feedbacks seriously no matter how much more knowledgable on products than the users. Remember Apple has learned the hard way.
I only use my Play5 for a few hours a day and right now manually unplug it if not in use to avoid the high standby usage. At the very least, there should be a way to turn off the WiFi on the unit if you don't use that as that surely would result in some standby savings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I agree. In the meantime I suggest using some remote control power switch outlets (Funksteckdosen). I suggest the Fritz!DECT 200 (expensive but it shows energy consumption): http://www.amazon.de/AVM-FRITZ-DECT-intelligente-Steckdose/dp/B00AQ9E77M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373051791&sr=8-1&keywords=dect+200&_encoding=UTF8&site-redirect=de&tag=maxrev-21&linkCode=ur2&camp=1638&creative=6742 With this you are able to control the outlets through your smartphone/tablet and you are able to add on/off-switch-plans. It supports google calendar as well. If this is too expensive you can use a usual remote control outlet and combine it with a Gateway so you are able to switch them with an app: http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_availability_1?rh=n%3A340843031%2Ck%3Alan+gateway+433%2Cp_n_availability%3A419126031&keywords=lan+gateway+433&ie=UTF8&qid=1373051887&_encoding=UTF8&site-redirect=de&tag=maxrev-21&linkCode=ur2&camp=1638&creative=6742 There are apps available called "SteckerChecker" or "PowerSwitch" to control multiple outlets through your smartphone/tablet.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Inspired by this post: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?p=201482#post201482 If the Sonos bridge does not obtain an ip or the bridge is offline for 30 minutes then the other Sonos will go to "deepsleep".
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I also find Sonos devices to be quite wasteful. What I finallly did was buy timers that switch off all Sonos components during the night. It's slightly annoying (you have to maintain the timers) and not optimal, but it's better than nothing. The disadvantage is that in the morning I find all my devices ungrouped and playlists forgotten.
Userlevel 1
When connecting the Sonos devices exclusively to wired switches the built-in WiFi support may be disabled automatically or by an option in the GUI. This would save lots of energy. The unit itself may also be switched to low-enery mode when it's not working and waked up on LAN requests.
I too agree completely. Constantly powering on and off via switches etc defeats the object of the system somewhat. I have speakers mounted quite high up with hidden power sockets.

I am interested in both reducing standby power costs as well as wifi radiation whilst asleep.

I would have thought it would be simple enough to tell all the units to go into receive only mode (listening only) . Once a unit which is wired into the LAN is triggered from a controller, it would wake up and send signals to all the others to wake up. As the CT  100 etc are being phased out, it means that ALL other controllers are going to go through the router etc.

This could be improved by sending specific signals so only specified units would wake up as required.

Also a general timed option to shut down would be good. This is how I have my general wifi set up. I can always override it manually if necessary.

I understand the mesh approach, so maybe if a unit is required to be on as it needs to be for "hopping" to a distant unit, this unit would stay on. To implement wouldn't be so hard as IF a unit was told to be active and then loses a signal it could broadcast to all other units which were switched off as they would STILL be in listening mode.