PLAY:1 Line In

• 1 November 2013
  • 76 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
A Sonos user would like to have a line in at the back of the PLAY:1.

What do you think about it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

And I'd think this was a product/marketing decision.
Exactly, just like trim levels on car model variants at different price points. Cost of providing the feature isn't the main driver. Although providing this might reduce the clamour for computer speakers from Sonos, so who is to say when the decision may be revisited?
It may also address the issue of the high price of the Connect for just input purposes; one can use the 5, but sometimes there isn't the space needed for its footprint and/or the budget for its price.
I agree with Chris. And I'd think this was a product/marketing decision. They have provided the capability on other products, which they seem to make money off of. Why introduce it on something cheaper, and introduce a reduction in sales of the more expensive model?

The answer to this is an analysis as to a projection on how many more Play:1s they might sell, due to the reduction in the price point for getting a audio input on it. The contrary side is they'd need to add the cost (which I'd imagine can't be more than a dollar or two) to every Play:1 sold, which would reduce the current profit on it, and also incur what I'd think would be a substantial one time charge for retooling the production line on which they're made. I suspect someone at Sonos already made those calculations, and decided to keep things the way they are.

But if, at some point, they do a refresh of the Play:1 with an internal microphone for voice control (with Amazon, or any other partner they chose), that might be an ideal time to introduce that change. So who knows? I'm certainly not against the idea, as a consumer. I just don't see it happening until a more substantial product refresh, if at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't forsee a play:1 gen2 in near future. And as the entry level not sure we will ever see input on. Not that inputs bad but don't believe at the price point they will ever add.
As others have stated, I would like a line-in on the Play:1 so I can connect them direct to the PC in the office. Not really an option to run a cable down from the office to the connect in the living room just to get this!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would be surprised in next versions of Play:1 (or Play:3 if there is another) would have an input as well. However, Sonos must have had its reasons for only putting in the Play:5 top of the line Play speaker.
It would make it much more versatile, since then it can also be used alongside other equipment & pc's !
I was also disappointed by the absence of a line-in on the play1
Also realize - if your buying speakers for every room why does every room need a line in. Get a Play:5 for one room to be your line in. Then the Line in on the Play:5 is accessible to all the Play:1s in your whole house just like if they had one of their own. Maybe you don't understand that. You don't need multiple Line Ins.

Doesn't apply to my scenario.

I have three rooms I would like to use Sonos in:
- Living room
- Bedroom
- Office

I am currently using Sonos in two rooms:
- Living room (PLAY:5 - Line-in connected to TV)
- Bedroom (PLAY:1 - no line-in needed)

I would love to purchase a Sonos speaker for the office as well, however, I have the following issue:
- In need of a speaker with line-in, as I wouldn't want to keep the current Logitech 2.0 speaker set (connected to my laptop computer)
- Can't buy a PLAY:5 just for line-in -> It's too big to fit on the desk; it's too powerful and expensive for it's purpose.

A PLAY:1 or PLAY:3 would be an option for me - however, due to the lack of a line-in jack, not convenient and therefore not worth the money.

+1 for adding a line-in to (at least) the next Generation of PLAY:3.
+1 for line in on all products, seems a ridiculous oversight, and sadly can only see cynical reasoning behind it. i realise sonos is developed as a network based solution but hate the idea of listening to music being completely dependent on a functioning network, with line in you know you'll be able to listen to anything, wherever you are, with just a speaker and a music source, which is as it should be. come the zombie apocalypse i still want to be able to listen to music : ) i'd buy two play 1s and a sub tomorrow if i didn't have to pay hundreds of pounds for a connect just to achieve the most basic of functionality.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You could copy all your records onto a NAS and you wouldn't need a line in. Instant wireless access anywhere to your music.
The wall that was full of CDs now has some nice art hanging on it instead. They are all on a NAS in lossless and mp3 format.
Userlevel 2
I have a record player in the back of the living room, now connected to my play:5 when I want to use it, but that player is usually stationed at another room. I do want to buy Play:1's to add surround sound, but the lack of line-in stops me from doing so. Adding multiple Play:5 is not a viable option in this situation, and buying a connect just to get a line-in is way too expensive.

So if the next Play:1 has line-in I will buy them, otherwise not.

NB. I know connecting converting analogue sound to digital players is not the ideal situation, but it is convenient 🙂
If not then we can let our dollars talk as we buy other brand products with the features we like.
That customer response is the challenge that any pricing strategy for any product has to successfully meet, and Sonos has been successful with theirs. The challenge that they are struggling to deal with is to do with the Amazon Echo and its voice control, not the absence of the line in on the play 1/3. And they are seeing how to meet that latter challenge, collaborating with Amazon to get Sonos to also offer some kind of voice control; Sonos may therefore not have the bandwidth at this time for adding line in, even if it may seem merited to management.
The only thing that we as consumers can do, is let them know what we would like to see. If they choose too meet those needs, great. If not then we can let our dollars talk as we buy other brand products with the features we like.
You aren't going to see a line-in on the Play:1. It is the second youngest Sonos unit there is, and they aren't going to completely retool the line to add something which, if it was needed to drive sales, they would have included in the first place.
I do understand that one line is is enough But a $500 PLAY:5 is overkill for my living-space. I can get 2 1/2 speakers of same function and probably similar quality (Bose, H-K?).

So, dear Sonos. Please get on it. I want to use your stuff but can't without a line-in on the PLAY:1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also realize - if your buying speakers for every room why does every room need a line in. Get a Play:5 for one room to be your line in. Then the Line in on the Play:5 is accessible to all the Play:1s in your whole house just like if they had one of their own. Maybe you don't understand that. You don't need multiple Line Ins.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Anna, give it some more thought, sonos really is a fantastic streaming ecosystem.
What exactly do you want the line in for? any music on your phone, ipad, ipod can be streamed from that device wirelessly.
Now I have to sell the one I have on e-bay and go find another wifi system that has line-in.
Would you obtain a line and give up probably higher reliability/up time + other features that Sonos offers, compared to any other wifi system out there? Make sure that you aren't cutting your nose to spite your face.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I truly think it was a cost thing, maybe the driver was cheapest entry level, which it does great. As a surround speaker for playbar it has everything it needs and no more. A play1 only user soon finds a need for line-in, as sonos is so tied up with partners only, and you either buy into it more with a connect or play5, or like all of us on here, find something better value, like GCA for all the old hifi's in the house.
Basically like me, you can't afford any more sonos expense, we all have to stop somewhere, sometime 😉
If I could cast things like bbc iplayer radio, I wouldn't need a re-design, I would buy more play1s.

Hopefully sonos are opening up more, first step casting spotify from native app, then alexa, but it will be glacially slooooow.
Mee too! I love the sound and look of the PLAY:1 I bought. But as time goes on I find it is not useful to me. I need a line in. And I am not buying a PLAY:5 just for that. If the PLAY:1 had line-in I would have one in every room. Now I have to sell the one I have on e-bay and go find another wifi system that has line-in. Why did you do that? Withhold the line-in on the smaller speaker. - Anna
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Sure. Go buy two $400 speakers just to get line in. As mentioned above, there is a lt of mobile audio only accessible via Bluetooth or line out - audio books, online videos, radio apps that aren't in the Sonos ecosystem, even movies. I set up an AirPlay receiver on a zp100 line in, and lay on my bed and watched Netflix on my iPad with my Play:3 providing the audio. Sounded way better than my iPad speakers.

It's a major oversight on Sonos' part, or more likely, a calculated one to avoid cannibalizing Connect sales. However, I think it's a poor calculation - imagine a Special Edition Sonos Play:C, with line in for a computer and mini desk stands. Get people to buy the Sonos for their computer room, then let them discover there's soooo much more capability once they expand to other rooms.

I do believe there is a software hack to create a Node.js Sonos compatible client. If this were to run on a Raspberry Pi, could make it a great way to add a line in to SonosNet anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes I fully agree, as denon decided, a line-in and usb for input/ or just charging would be ideal.
But sonos decided against both, probably concentrated on making play1 cheapest it could be, to fight off competition, make the play1 "the in" to the whole sonos eco-system.
Their response will be, go buy a play5 please 😉
The question is not why would I want to be tethered to it, but why is there not a line in on all their speakers? A line is available on the Play 5. Having a line in on all speakers offers the customer the most flexibility. I have XM radio that I could play through the Play 1 if there was a line in. The Denon HEOS1 has a 3.5mm line in along with a USB port.

Believe me I am not the only person who would like to see a line in on the Play 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why? you would be tethered to it!
Just use it wireless from your hand, anywhere, unless it is an older ipod with iOS6 or classic and you can't, in which case use could buy a used dock from ebay.
I'd buy a set of Play 1's today if they had a line in. I'd like to be able to plug my iPod directly into the Play 1.