Answered

Move - standby question

• 24 September 2019
  • 28 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

jm9843,

Here is something to try.. add the Move’s IP address to the routers DHCP Reservation Table and see if that fixes the issue of it losing its connection.👍

Thanks for the suggestion.  I reserved a static IP address for the Move on my router (Nest WiFi), did a complete power down and back on, but unfortunately it made no difference.  The Move still comes out of Sleep mode and becomes unresponsive after a short period of time.

Another data point: for these tests the Move has been connected to my main Nest WiFi router (i.e. NOT one of the mesh “point” devices) and on the 5GHz band.  Throughput to the Move seems to hover on average around 100 Mbps.

Fwiw, I’ve had zero issues with the Nest WiFi with regard to any speed or connectivity issues with any other device.  At this point I consider this to be a pretty bad bug with Sonos/Move which I guess isn’t entirely surprising given that this is their first product that doesn’t operate 100% of the time on mains electricity or have the option to run in the “Boost configuration” for that matter.  They’ve got to get it sorted though.

I picked up a Move yesterday and my initial experience with sleep and the battery was less than stellar. A run down of usage after the initial setup:

1. Charge the battery to 100% on the base
  2. Listen to ~30 minutes of TuneIn on battery before stopping playback
  3. Go to bed, get up this morning
  4. Sonos app can’t find the Move
  5. Status Light on top of the Move is solid white.  Pressing the Play or Volume buttons causes the Status Light to blink momentarily and a chime is NOT emitted.
  6. Pressing the Power button has no effect.  Placing the Move back on the charging dock has no effect

The only way that I could get the Move to come back was to long-press the Power button until the Status Light turned off and then pressing the Power button again to power it back on.  When it finally came back online, the battery had depleted to 36%.

The manual says the following about the Power button (emphasis mine):

Press to power on; press and hold to power off. If Move is off the charging base, it goes to sleep to save battery when you’re not using it. Just press the power button to wake it up.

This was definitely not my experience.  Any guidance from Sonos on what the issue could be or misconceptions about how the product is supposed to work?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

On a somewhat related note, the rest of my Sonos kit connects via a Boost, but that didn't appear to be an option when I set up the Move. Thinking about it further, should it not be using the Boost when in wireless mode?
The Move doesn't connect to Sonosnet (through Boost) like the other speakers. the reasoning being that Sonosnet was designed to operate with stationary devices, not devices that can be moved from room to room like the Move is. The designers believed that given the above and the increased reliability of modern routers/wifi since sonosnet was first created, it made more sense for the Move to be wifi only.

Thanks for this. This answers one of the two questions I came on here for. The second question is how do I change the wireless network of the Move? When I set it up I put it on my 5GHz network but the 2.4 would be better for range.