Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music

Show first post

184 replies

Same here! 2x play 3 in our bedroom. Minimum level is too high so my wife hates it!

@Sonos: anybody out there?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
You have fine volume control with buttons, but not using Alexa.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The Alexa volume control, whether built-in with Sonos One or via Echo, offers nothing but large quantum leaps. I had a Play:1 by my bed on my night stand. I replaced it with a Sonos One when it first came out. However, I soon put the Play:1 back and added a Dot. Alexa did no good for volume control, and the Sonos One's smooth top buttonless surface is no good for touch control in the dark. The Play:1 has feelable buttons. I guess I could turn the Sonos Flashlight app on, but I'd rather do it by touch. Now I have a rarely used Sonos One sitting in my garage because the only other room I would use it in can't pair it with a Play 1.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.

And to me the fade out option of the sleep is so quick! It seems like a not finished feature.
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.
Userlevel 1
+1. Just adding my voice to the chorus that the lowest volume is too high - noticing it on my Playbase when I like to have a game on as soft as possible but just loud enough to hear a crowd cheer (for example, while I'm multi-tasking on my computer and typing this on the forum). Sonos, please add more granularity.
Please reduce the minimum volume. I really enjoy listening music when going to sleep but with sonos it's just much too loud. I've had a squeezebox before which was not perfect but the minimum volume was great. Btw I use a Play 1 in my bedroom.
Yes, please. The lowest volume is still too loud on my PLAY1.
Same here. I’ve been able to achieve low volume by adjusting vol level via their app. Can’t do it using physical buttons on the speaker itself unless I’m missing something.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I asked the same.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/volume-knob-6792203

There is somewhere also a thread to bite for new fearures, but i cannot find it anymore, search for it.

Camillo
It will help other posters if you publish here the final outcome and how it was achieved. Your getting the same sound levels from wall mounted speakers after just one tap away from mute on the phone app, as I get at my desktop from the same model speaker pair from 5 taps just doesn't compute.

And I believe that my system behaviour is the norm.It ought to take 100 taps to get the slider over completely to the right with volume increases keeping step with the taps.
Badge
If that is from one tap away from mute, tapped to the right of the button on the app, it is WAY too loud. It would take me 5+ taps.

right ok I will contact sonos and send a report in see what they say 🙂
If that is from one tap away from mute, tapped to the right of the button on the app, it is WAY too loud. It would take me 5+ taps.
Badge
And all the users specifically mentioning the issue using the devices I mention above? And usually Play 1, not a Playbar.
I am chilling out on my bed now playing a game with some smooth music on the back ground with only 1 tap I can hear comfortably, surely that's to loud for the first tap on the volume?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
And all the users specifically mentioning the issue using the devices I mention above? And usually Play 1, not a Playbar.
Badge
A defect then, most likely. I tried again with my stereo pair that is three feet away. The only time I could hear very faint music at one tap to the right of mute is because Bryan Adams was singing summer of 69. It took 3 taps to understand the words properly. With music to go to sleep, it should take more taps than what Bryan needs!

Do the one tap to the right of mute thing and send a diagnostic to Sonos with an email quoting the number to see if there is a defect that is causing a 10% volume level.

hmm you might be you are right I've just played the same song on my living room play 5 and sub and its alot quieter, my play 1s are in each corner up high on sonos wall mounts, could this be why I am hearing them louder ?
I've just tested with my playbar and the iPad controller.

When moving the slider all the way to the left and then 1 tap at the end of the line I could barely hear the TV (It was dialogue).

The to screenshots show the slider in the 2 positions.

I suspect many of the people who stilll have this issue are NOT tapping the correct place on the controller.

No. I see the above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes they are saying it's too loud with apps (inc. iPhone, tablets etc.).
This thread and others before it. You don't see them?
I'm on a phone so apologies for no quotes etc. but read earlier in the thread.
No one is reporting a granularity issue with the phone app, except the one today. Or with the app on the computer. In fact early in this thread others using the phone app are puzzled at why what is said is an issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Everyone reporting it here and in previous threads all have a defect?
I'd suggest more granular control is needed at low volume - inc. from the hardware volume buttons too.
Yes that's pretty much the reported issue.
And when you're next to a speaker you shouldn't need to resort to the faff of getting your controller anyway.

That is a fair point. But unless my English is having a day off, the coarseness of the button controls on the Sonos speaker unit isn't the latest complaint, from what I understood of it.
A defect then, most likely. I tried again with my stereo pair that is three feet away. The only time I could hear very faint music at one tap to the right of mute is because Bryan Adams was singing summer of 69. It took 3 taps to understand the words properly. With music to go to sleep, it should take more taps than what Bryan needs!

Do the one tap to the right of mute thing and send a diagnostic to Sonos with an email quoting the number to see if there is a defect that is causing a 10% volume level.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes that's pretty much the reported issue.
And when you're next to a speaker you shouldn't need to resort to the faff of getting your controller anyway.
Badge
Reconfirming from both my phone and Mac controllers. With the volume slider on the very left, the mute light comes on on the unit. And then it takes 1 tap for that light to go, but 4 taps to the right of the button to hear the first faint sounds from the speakers. And I am listening to a play 1 pair flanking my computer on my desktop, while I am at the desk.

on the app on my phone yes, its on mute the first tap and the music come on but defo not 1% its quite loud far to loud to play at night, to sleep to I have 2 play 1s in stereo in the bedroom
Reconfirming from both my phone and Mac controllers. With the volume slider on the very left, the mute light comes on on the unit. And then it takes 1 tap for that light to go, but 4 taps to the right of the button to hear the first faint sounds from the speakers. And I am listening to a play 1 pair flanking my computer on my desktop, while I am at the desk.