Answered

Impossible to connect my SONOS ROAM in Bluetooth

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

@southern gal

Yes, as Bruce says, it sounds like you may have a fault. I have two Roans and both switch and work on Bluetooth away from home off their charger. So I would submit a diagnostic and call/chat to the Sonos Support Staff.

We have been struggling with this for a few weeks, off and on. 

Husband stumbled on what might work for others…

We have the Roam added to Sonos and updated. It will play using Sonos app. Of course problem was Bluetooth. So the issue was, we would do as directed; get the flashing white light and when you had a steady white light, press and hold and the blue light would supposedly illuminate and a tone would sound initializing  pairing. But what actually happened was that when you hold the power button the speaker eventually makes two little sounds and powers off. Never a blue light. The solution is to let go of the power button when you hear the small tones BEFORE power shut off. 

We have three of these beasts and it worked on each one of them. 

Also - conflicting Bluetooth connectivity can be confusing so use one device to control. We were not able to achieve individual pairing of a speaker on his phone and a speaker on my phone. Maybe if we are out of range from one another. 

Hi - I know this is an older thread….quick update on my end...I went through Sonos chat to figure out how to connect my Roam to my mobile via Bluetooth.  Couple of learnings…

1.  you have to connect your Roam to wifi and the Sonos app before you can connect to Bluetooth. 
  2. If you have S1 app, you have to unplug all the S1 devices on your system and launch the S2 app.   Once you do that, the S2 app will start the connection process to the Roam device.  
  3. Once you have the Roam connected to through the S2 app, you can connect via Bluetooth to your device.  
  4. Plug back in the S1 devices and good to go…

Would be a lot easier if Sonos would publish this and also make the transition from S1 to S2 a little more gradual but the individual via chat was ver helpful. 

Just to add to these instructions here, which are really more about splitting and creating an S2 Household from an existing S1 system. The majority of Roam users will not need these instructions as they will normally be adding their Roam to an ‘existing’ or ‘new’ S2 HH.

Many will have (hopefully) seen on the Sonos.com website that the Roam is designed for an S2 setup only. 

The only reason that the Roam needs to initially be connected to WiFi is to add it to the S2 system and register the device in the users online account/profile.  The Bluetooth audio will work after that registration has taken place, whether the user is connected to WiFi or not.

So the instructions posted are likely only for the very few users who wish to split their HH before installing Roam. The details are also mentioned in these Sonos Support documents, which also highlight the limitations of using a ‘Split’ S1/S2 System…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4824

HTH

I was getting the chime but not the blue light and couldn’t connect to Bluetooth on my iPhone. I bought 2 Roams and the other one paired perfectly first time. I followed the advice on this forum to do a software update and the Roam then paired. Odd that 2 Roams in the same order would ship with different software...

Indeed the Move works like that and it’s about the only Sonos product I still use regularly. It’s too big to carry with me on travel.

I plan on returning mine - the Bluetooth setup is not intuitive. Roam is for roaming - why do they insist on WiFi connection. Every time I pair - next time I come in it will not connect. I try to forget the device and then have to try 5 time to connect it again - ridiculous.

Userlevel 2

So the Saga continues.

all the problems I was having were experienced while I was “roaming” traveling from the UAE to the UK with a long stopover in Portugal. It seems that the SONOS “Roam” works fine as long as you are not “roaming”

As soon as I arrived at my UK address it connected to the Sonos network and then allowed me to connect via Bluetooth. I basically carried an extra useless weight in my baggage for the whole trip and could not listen to any music in my guest house without headphones.

I was amazed to read the response from Sonos that the product is sold incomplete with the software still in development. So shouldn’t we pay for 50% of the product and send you the rest when it is finally finished and actually works as advertised?

What about a bicycle manufacturer with electronic gears run by software, “Please pay for my bike, the gears will not shift but we will let you know when you might be able to change gear in future firmware updates”

So Sonos what is the fix for this? Can I ever take this product away from a Sonos system again?

I have successfully connected my Samsung Galaxy S20 to Roam via bluetooth in order to play music.  However, I am unable to make telephone calls (cellular or whatsapp) using Roam.  

I cannot find any explanation online as to why this is happening.

I have also tried using my iPhone 7 but the same problem occurs.

I have a UE Boom speaker and this problem does not occur on that device.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I have already tried restoring factory settings.

Badge +17

I have successfully connected my Samsung Galaxy S20 to Roam via bluetooth in order to play music.  However, I am unable to make telephone calls (cellular or whatsapp) using Roam.  

I cannot find any explanation online as to why this is happening.

I have also tried using my iPhone 7 but the same problem occurs.

I have a UE Boom speaker and this problem does not occur on that device.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I have already tried restoring factory settings.

Sonos Roam cannot be used to make or receive calls nor be used as a speakerphone, so what you’re describing is expected.

Once you master the Bluetooth pairing on the roam you will be blown away with it I suggest you pair all your devices one at a time one after the other apparently you can add up to 8 devices. I did struggle to get it to work but once it clicked with me l am fine with it I even connected my iPod classic to it with a Bluetooth sender unit and best of all you don’t have to go through pairing mode again once you have set up your devices I have 5 devices setup.

Same here. Not happy at all with the Roam.

Unable to connect it on my WiFi, apparently it does not work well with network extension, which makes little sense for a nomad device.

I swallowed this excuse from support but when I tried to configure it sitting next to the router it did not work either… I managed to listen 3-5 sons over the past month…

Also, the - expensive - charger does not work properly, I have to use the cable instead + for some reason Sonos decided the color of the charger is different to the device (white vs grey).

Today I have tried to connect it via Bluetooth as a fallback option now but the music disconnects after 20sec.. (I took the device to the countryside where there is no wifi). Extremely frustrating.

@Sonos team, please don’t ship products before they are ready. I was very happy with my other products but this very negative experience is harming seriously my trust in the brand.

I am using the new app, S2.   Requirements look fine.  I’ll test at home today as well.  I don’t care about the WIFI part that much. 

You will find that you just need to do the first-time initial setup on WiFi, but after that you can then choose to use Bluetooth, but if that’s your primary goal, I would have perhaps just bought a Bluetooth speaker instead, rather than one that is computer-controlled/designed for multi-room synced wireless audio. Here are some of its features, briefly outlined below:

• Waterproof 
  • Automatic-Trueplay Tuning
  • Apple Airplay Capable
  • Wireless Audio
  • Sound Swap available with many other Sonos products.
  • Bluetooth (with audio pass-through to grouped wireless Sonos devices)
  • Stereo pairing & grouping on WiFi 
  • 10 hour battery life
  • Built-in mic with voice assistant control (Alexa/Google?)
  • Available in Black/White colours
  • USB-C/Wireless Qi charging.
Userlevel 2

@Ken_Griffiths Good to hear your Roam is working 

mine is also working now but from all the trail of problem mails it is fairly obvious that there is a problem it should not be a complicated procedure to connect a BT speaker. 
I am concerned about taking this speaker on a trip in case the same thing happens to me again. It was not “user error” I researched and tried every possible solution none of which worked without the unit being connected to a Sonos system which was not available while traveling.

Userlevel 2

I am so glad to read all these posts I was starting to think that I was losing the plot.

I am an early adopter of SONOS and hove two houses full of products, I was very frustrated with the whole update situation but have bitten the bullet and am upgrading my systems (Now having difficulty operating the old system, that's for another post).

So I did get my ROAM working on Bluetooth after setting it up in my home system, so I took it travelling with me, now it reacts in exactly the way everyone reports. I have tried everything reset new system you name it but there is no way I can get a Bluetooth blue light to come on.  Of course now I am not at my home so there is no way to connect it on that system, it really should not be this difficult to connect a Bluetooth speaker, I am regretting leaving my Bose BT speaker at home and I am very close to becoming an ex SONOS customer. 

Come on SONOS why are you not responding to your customers?

It is such a shame to watch a once innovative and forward thinking tech company become yet another victim to the almighty corporate god of the Dollar.

Anyone want to buy an unused ROAM very cheap.

Harrison

The weirdest problem I experienced with Roam's bluetooth was after I took the speaker on holiday and charged it in my hotel room.

After that I could not get my phone (a samsung) or my partners phone (an iphone) to pair with the Roam. 

The only solution I could find was to set up my Sonos app and my Roam on the hotel's free WiFi. Once I did that the bluetooth connection worked fine again. 

I can only assume the Roam automatically connected itself to the Hotel WiFi when I turned it back on, and that triggered some kind of security features. 

It could be a problem if the Roam resets itself every time it comes in contact with a new WiFi environment. Bluetooth should work regardless of any WiFi signal

The easiest way I find, is that once the Roam Is Bluetooth ’paired’ to a phone/tablet, to activate/deactivate the Bluetooth link from the mobiles own Bluetooth list - don’t need to have any WiFi connection at all and the only time I touch the speaker is to wake it up, if it’s asleep, or powered off.

Finally did it. Let Go!

The key for me was the detail on the let go.  I was holding the button for to long.  Most blue tooth devices go into paring mode while you are holding the button. Not Sonos

Now press and hold the rear power button on the Roam for two seconds and let go.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I do, but the only chime I hear is the one that you can hear when the ROAM is turning off.

Hello,

as I just received my SONOS ROAM I have tried many times today to get it connected in Bluetooth by following the procedure as described in that link.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989?language=fr

So I kept pressing the button at the back but the blue light never went on and as a consequence the product had been left undiscovered for my mobile phone.

Is there anyone who encountered the same issue & what should I do to get it solve.

Thanks for your help

Had the same problem. But updating the Roam fixed the problem.

Userlevel 7

@brettyg1963 The fact that the Roam can work as a Bluetooth speaker AND on Wi-Fi with other Sonos speakers is what makes the Roam unique.

The setup process of the Roam is very simple and should take no longer than 5-10 minutes. Pairing the Roam over Bluetooth takes less than 30 seconds.

Perhaps these instructions will help: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4994?language=en_US

@MaS84

On pressing/holding the rear button for a couple of seconds and then letting go the device status LED should switch from white to blue and it flashes until it pairs or is paired with a device. I’m not sure what’s happening in your case but maybe speak/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK, that’s if you still cannot get it to pair. The Staff may take you through a factory reset of the device or they may run some tests with you and if necessary replace it, if it is faulty. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks for your help I will take this issue though customer support.

Tried everything listed above but no luck.  Bluetooth pairing just doesn’t work on this product.  Really terrible for a supposedly high end product.  Every cheap Bluetooth speaker I own works easily but not Sonos Roam.  Wow how embarrassing for Sonos!

Userlevel 2

Awesome, I live on the edge of the Peak District, it’s a lovely part of the World

Have a great staycation 

As of now, I hate the Roam.  Impossible to connect simply and easily. It’s way too frustrating and too much work to use.  

@George de Oregon 

i have two Roams and currently out and about  travelling with one of them for a few days and my experience is what is seen explained in this YT video.

So I find it easy to switch the Roam between WiFi (or MiFi in my case) and Bluetooth and back again. It works exactly as shown in the video…

Hi - I know this is an older thread….quick update on my end...I went through Sonos chat to figure out how to connect my Roam to my mobile via Bluetooth.  Couple of learnings…

1.  you have to connect your Roam to wifi and the Sonos app before you can connect to Bluetooth. 
  2. If you have S1 app, you have to unplug all the S1 devices on your system and launch the S2 app.   Once you do that, the S2 app will start the connection process to the Roam device.  
  3. Once you have the Roam connected to through the S2 app, you can connect via Bluetooth to your device.  
  4. Plug back in the S1 devices and good to go…

Would be a lot easier if Sonos would publish this and also make the transition from S1 to S2 a little more gradual but the individual via chat was ver helpful.