Forced upgrade to S2 now S1 app doesn't work

• 13 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Play1 and Play3 working fine on S1 yesterday. Today when I launch S1 and try to play from any service, SirusXM, Spotify etc. a white popup box says I have to reauthorize the service but have to upgrade first.  I go into system and choose upgrade. This opens app store to the S2 app. I download and launch S2 and it says all products are incompatible (expcted.) I swipe close both apps and launch S1 again.  Again, if I try to play anything on Sirius or Spotify it says I need to reauthorize and upgrade. If I try to reauthorize the option is greyed out as it says I need to upgrade.  Amazon Music does play Any ideas how to fix? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Huh? There are a lot of strange things going on here:

1. The Play1 and Play3 are both S2 compatible.
  2. Why would the S1 app force you to S2 when playing a music service?

Ahah actually I think the S1 app is asking you to Update (not Upgrade) - a re-auth requires you to be running the latest version of the app (either S1 or S2). (Stuff being greyed out is a sign that you are not on the newest version).

How to proceed: in the S1 app, do an Update to get all S1 devices (and the controller) to the latest version. (Not an Upgrade to S2).

Stay away from the S2 app, for now anyway. It seems that an S2 update should be in your future at some point so you don’t get left behind, all your declared hardware is compatible.

Thanks. I deleted S1 and S2 apps. I then downloaded S1 again from app store. If I try to do an update and still get the need to upgrade dialog and get sent to the S2 app on app store.  However, Amazon and TuneIn music services work when I try to play them. Just Spotify and SiriusXM that are affected for me.  Maybe something’s messed with the reauth mechanism  and the app. doesn’t know what to do?  Something for Sonos support on Tue... 

Comtrolav, tekker is absolutely correct on what it is doing. It doesn’t matter what you are trying to play, when select update it opens in the new app, or makes you down liad the new app. In that app they are not all compatible, but they still don’t work in the old app. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Tekker 

Did you try to remove the affected music services from S1 and to reconnect them?

Also it could be worth a try to reset the Sonos S1 app and to reconnect it to your Sonos system. 

Thanks @Schlumpf   S1 will not allow me to remove services. Options are greyed out until I do the upgrade wihich takes me to the S2 download page.  I’m going to see if I can reset / delete all the speaker and start from scratch. Deleting the S1 app and reinstalling brings back the current config. 

Comtrolav, tekker is absolutely correct on what it is doing. It doesn’t matter what you are trying to play, when select update it opens in the new app, or makes you down liad the new app. In that app they are not all compatible, but they still don’t work in the old app. 

Sorry you are seeing this too @HollyNC . But, it’s good to know I’m not the only one, so it must not be on our devices but something with Sonos and the S1 app. I’m going to contact support when they are open. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Tekker 

Did you also try to reset S1 controller app?

Greyed out options normally appear, if theres an app update available or if you are not logged in to your Sonos account within the app. So perhaps a relogin also could help. 

Perhaps someone experiencing this issue could post a screenshot of the warning messages you are getting?