Don't buy the Sonos

• 5 October 2017
  • 43 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Quote "It is possible that my Sonos speaker and/or Boost are defective in some way, but tech support never indicated that."

It is of course possible but there has never been, as far as I know, any indication that Sonos operate in this way
My contribution is that people with DSL internet may have problems and may want to look elsewhere for their listening solutions.

Nonsense.

We know one thing: There is apparently something in your particular circumstances that causes Sonos to go wonky. But there is nothing inherent in DSL that causes Sonos to go wonky, for thousands of users with DSL lines have Sonos and it works just peachy. Matter of fact, you are the first person I can remember to point to DSL as being the cause of any problems. If this were widespread (like EOP connectors which do not forward packets necessary for Sonos), there would be many more posts like yours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
10mbps is quite low nowadays, is that peak speed?.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes that's peak speed, I live in a rural area, but that's what we have. The Sonos only needs 500kbps or something like that. It's not the speed that's causing the issue.
I've been using Sons with DSL Internet for the best part of 10 years now with no problems. I have 40Mbps now, but in the past I've had less than 2MBps and it's never stopped it working.

Statistically, hundreds of thousands of other people have also used Sonos with DSL Internet without any problems either.

Of course, if you are using a relatively low speed Internet service for streaming, and if your Internet service is congested (lots of downloading or video streaming by other users) or the ISP is simply rubbish, then this could have a detrimental impact on music streamed to Sonos. But this isn't a Sonos specific issue.

There's no reason to not use Sonos with DSL just because one person is having issues with their local network or ISP.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
My message: caveat emptor. Good luck to anyone buying a Sonos to use on a DSL system. If you take the chance, save your receipts, all packaging materials, and keep an eye on the calendar so you can send it back and not get stuck with hundreds of dollars of useless equipment. I guess I can sell it on eBay, or re-gift it to some hapless relative. It's too light to be a good boat anchor.

To those who have DSL and your Sonos works, mazel tov.
My message: Good luck to anyone buying a Sonos to use on banjopicker1959's network and DSL connection.

Use it anywhere else, on any other DSL connection and you should be fine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Ive had trouble with channel hopping, were you using it in Sonos net, hard wired or your routers wifi ?
So many wifi deviced near our house with 'smart' wifi just continuously hop channel to channel as they try to avoid others. Most of my equipment is now hardwired and the wifi channels are set to fixed and the hopping has stopped.

WOnder if your skipping was due to hopping ?
Add me to the "happy with DSL" group. I've used my Sonos in 2 different homes with DSL over the last 5 or 6 years, and nary a problem.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I think you should spend your money to upgrade your internet, get rid of DSL and get something decent first. Once you got that, Sonos will work for you. Your problem is you have a lousy internet with data rate that is insufficient. Good luck.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Get rid of DSL ? What are the alternatives, fibre to the home ? Virtually everyone is on DSL, be it adsl or vdsl, it's very rare (at least in the uk) to have anything else.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I don't doubt your qualifications, and I do believe that my DSL should have been up to the task. It certainly is now with my new setup. But why didn't my Sonos work? No one knows as it turns out. Do you have any proposed ideas as to why it won't work? You seem qualified to at least speculate, since my DSL should be up to the job. Previously unknown flaw in software? Faulty hardware?

At the risk of being repetitive: why: 1) did the problem got worse with time; and 2) why did streaming the same XM channel through the same WiFi, through the same phone, into hard-wired headphones or my bluetooth speaker using SiruisXM's mobile app, work perfectly?

If i could find answers to these questions, from anyone knowledgeable, perhaps the problem could be solved. Despite all the diagnostics sent to Sonos, they have no answers after weeks of trying.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I didn't see the subsequent reply - my ping is the same as yours, as is the rest of the performance. I contacted my ISP and they find no problem with my modem or my wireless. When I had the Sonos, it worked fine at first, until after two months it reached a point at which I could not even stream music from my iTunes without skipping. There have been no other issues with any other devices using that DSL. Once the Sonos was removed and replaced with the bluetooth speaker there have been no issues whatsoever.
If streaming works, on your DSL, then it should work with Sonos. That points to it not being your DSL.

Have you tried streaming locally, from files on a PC or laptop? Is this what you meant by "from my iTunes"?

I would strongly suspect issues with wireless, and local streaming issues tend to confirm this. Wireless isn't as simple "as it-works-or-it-doesn't". It can work fine on one device but not on another. In some cases it can be because the working devices are interfering with the non-working ones.

The other thing to bear in mind is that phones and PCs are designed as general purpose devices with gigabytes of memory. Phone apps, especially, are designed to work in environments with poor data and will tend to buffer a lot to compensate for the occasional spotty connection. Sonos systems, basically being speakers with embedded "smarts" will do this too, but have limited memory space to do this in.

There's all sorts of things which can impact a Sonos setup in this way, including:
- The topology of your network (wired/partially wired/totally wireless)
- Using wifi or Sonosnet
- The presence of potentially conflicting wireless devices such as DECT phones

As a general rule, whilst wirelessly connecting Sonos to your existing wifi is more convenient, using the inbuilt "Sonosnet" mesh network is far more reliable. Many home wifi networks are not really built for robust streaming.

Another test to do, if you haven't got this setup already, is to wire one of the units and deselect wifi in the app settings. This will make the Sonos units form their own wireless mesh separate from your wifi.

I am surprised the Sonos support staff couldn't help you on this though.

Cheers,

Keith
I'm using a similarly limited DSL broadband connection with peaks of 12.5mbit/s. Sonos works pretty much flawlessly in standard wifi mode. The only ongoing issue I recognized are constant dropouts with a single (rather exotic and small, thus bandwith-limited) webradio station via TuneIn. The stream is dropping every couple of minutes and eventually is fully stopped by the dedicated zone player due to too many recent errors.

I got around this problem by simply playing this particular radio station through my VU+ box and send the signal into the Sonos environment by using a Connect.

Apart from that, any connected online music service just works like a charm, may it be Deezer, Spotify, Tidal in hires or even the rather exotic ones like Batanga, Mixcloud and alike. I can even simultanously stream internet videos up to 1080i to my tv without any hiccups while playing online music content on several zones.

Long story short: I very much doubt that Sonos has a general issue with DSL internet connections. You live in a rural area, the technical infrastructure at your location is most likely to blame. Enjoy the countryside.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I am surprised that Sonos hasn't at least requested to look at the hardware.

You sent them a diagnostic earlier though, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
"...technical infrastructure at your location is most likely to blame". Then why does my iPhone stream music perfectly through the SiriusXM app to my Bose bluetooth speaker? That connection presumably goes from SiriusXM -> ADSL modem -> wifi -> phone -> speaker. Likewise, I can directly stream music stored on my phone flawlessly to the bluetooth speaker.

Uhm, doesn't that all go over Bluetooth direct from your phone to the Bose speaker? I.e., not touching your internal network infrastructure at all, apart from the phone connecting to the Internet.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
"...technical infrastructure at your location is most likely to blame". Then why does my iPhone stream music perfectly through the SiriusXM app to my Bose bluetooth speaker? That connection presumably goes from SiriusXM -> ADSL modem -> wifi -> phone -> speaker. Likewise, I can directly stream music stored on my phone flawlessly to the bluetooth speaker.

I am surprised that Sonos hasn't at least requested to look at the hardware.

Because either:
1) you have the phone set up to use 4G data. this is fast. I have a good internet connection, but I would have to complain to my kids to get on my wifi -- their 4G connection is faster than their phone on my wifi sometimes.
2) the siriusXM app may stream lower quality/less bandwidth than the sonos stream uses. OR the siriusxm app on the phone is built to work over a lower quality network connection, and buffers a lot to handle hicups/temporary network drops

I notice you have hardwired a Boost, have you tried removing the boost, and temporarily placing your play 1 near your router and plugging in the ethernet to see if it works then?

Do you have a separate dsl modem and wireless router? Or is it one of those all-in-one units?