Don't buy the Sonos

• 5 October 2017
  • 43 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

My message: Good luck to anyone buying a Sonos to use on banjopicker1959's network and DSL connection.

Use it anywhere else, on any other DSL connection and you should be fine.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My message: caveat emptor. Good luck to anyone buying a Sonos to use on a DSL system. If you take the chance, save your receipts, all packaging materials, and keep an eye on the calendar so you can send it back and not get stuck with hundreds of dollars of useless equipment. I guess I can sell it on eBay, or re-gift it to some hapless relative. It's too light to be a good boat anchor.

To those who have DSL and your Sonos works, mazel tov.
I've been using Sons with DSL Internet for the best part of 10 years now with no problems. I have 40Mbps now, but in the past I've had less than 2MBps and it's never stopped it working.

Statistically, hundreds of thousands of other people have also used Sonos with DSL Internet without any problems either.

Of course, if you are using a relatively low speed Internet service for streaming, and if your Internet service is congested (lots of downloading or video streaming by other users) or the ISP is simply rubbish, then this could have a detrimental impact on music streamed to Sonos. But this isn't a Sonos specific issue.

There's no reason to not use Sonos with DSL just because one person is having issues with their local network or ISP.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes that's peak speed, I live in a rural area, but that's what we have. The Sonos only needs 500kbps or something like that. It's not the speed that's causing the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
10mbps is quite low nowadays, is that peak speed?.
Userlevel 2
Badge
When I ran a connection test of my DSL while loading a web page, I saw some latency, and the connection test would 'fail'. Once page was loaded, it would 'pass'. When more users are active, either in my home or elsewhere on the DSL loop, the skipping got worse. 9AM Sunday morning was better than 8PM on a weeknight. Plus I don't understand why it got worse with time. My DSL gives 10mbps down/1mbps up. But the fact that XM's app can stream it flawlessly tells me that the Sonos software just isn't handling the latency very well on my DSL. When I searched to find solutions for skipping, I found 5 posts complaining about it. Not a lot, but not zero. I am 'lucky' I guess.
My contribution is that people with DSL internet may have problems and may want to look elsewhere for their listening solutions.

Nonsense.

We know one thing: There is apparently something in your particular circumstances that causes Sonos to go wonky. But there is nothing inherent in DSL that causes Sonos to go wonky, for thousands of users with DSL lines have Sonos and it works just peachy. Matter of fact, you are the first person I can remember to point to DSL as being the cause of any problems. If this were widespread (like EOP connectors which do not forward packets necessary for Sonos), there would be many more posts like yours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Quote "It is possible that my Sonos speaker and/or Boost are defective in some way, but tech support never indicated that."

It is of course possible but there has never been, as far as I know, any indication that Sonos operate in this way
Userlevel 2
Badge
My contribution is that people with DSL internet may have problems and may want to look elsewhere for their listening solutions. I acknowledge that my life on occasion serves as a warning to others. While some are bent out of shape about my posting and have great luck with their systems, the fact is that months of working with tech support has gone nowhere, and the skipping problem was getting worse, not better. As soon as I did a test streaming the same XM channel through XM's app via my DSL, and then through headphones, then later a bluetooth speaker, I realized my DSL was perfectly up to the task of streaming XM.

I don't like the fact I had to dump Sonos, but nor do I like being out $300. I liked the system - when it worked. It is superior in many ways to bluetooth, but the fact remains it did not work for me. I want to listen to music, not deal with IT issues and tech support.

It is possible that my Sonos speaker and/or Boost are defective in some way, but tech support never indicated that.
I don't care if it's rare or not, and I've been working with tech support for two months. I've done just about every permutation possible with channel changes and all of their other suggestions. Sonos simply didn't work for me, possibly because of latency issues with DSL. It's just not robust enough to handle DSL apparently, whereas streaming the same channel through my phone with the XM Sirius app (with bluetooth speaker) handles it just fine. Those with DSL may want to look elsewhere for their speaker solution.

I'm happy Bluetooth works for you. Sonos is a far more complicated system that requires a significantly more stable network and internet connection, but even so, the vast majority of systems work fine (far better than most Bluetooth speakers). It doesn't get an overall 4.5+ stars rating on Amazon for nothing. But as the saying goes, horses for courses.

But there really should be a section of the forum for folks who just want to vent non-specifically or threaten us with selling their systems 'if Sonos doesn't do X.'

I could then completely avoid that section of the forum and focus energy instead on those with constructive questions and contributions.

Yes!!!!! They can call it the "Or The Bunny Gets It" section! Make it so, Ryan S!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is there a 'want to sell' part of this forum?
No. It's against the T&Cs of the forum

But there really should be a section of the forum for folks who just want to vent non-specifically or threaten us with selling their systems 'if Sonos doesn't do X.'

I could then completely avoid that section of the forum and focus energy instead on those with constructive questions and contributions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No. It's against the T&Cs of the forum
Userlevel 2
Badge
Userlevel 2
Badge
I don't care if it's rare or not, and I've been working with tech support for two months. I've done just about every permutation possible with channel changes and all of their other suggestions. Sonos simply didn't work for me, possibly because of latency issues with DSL. It's just not robust enough to handle DSL apparently, whereas streaming the same channel through my phone with the XM Sirius app (with bluetooth speaker) handles it just fine. Those with DSL may want to look elsewhere for their speaker solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I have Playbar, Sub and Play1 pair. Streaming from Deezer and my home NAS has been flawless. Couldn't be happier.

Twp weeks without a single dropout or hitch.
Your experience is extremely rare. The vast majority of people are happy with Sonos. I'm sure you contacted their support and followed all suggestions instead of simply posting your displeasure here without giving the support a chance to help. Sorry it didn't work out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The Sonos was given to me as a birthday gift from my wife back in July, and it worked well at first. Gradually, it started skipping, and to help I bought a Boost. It seemed to help at first but the skipping just got worse and worse. Eventually I couldn't even play music from my phone. Call after call with customer support didn't help. All of this has led to some distress for my wife - seeing me struggle with trying to get it to work for weeks on end.

I have an iPhone6 and DSL internet. As a test, I used the XM-Sirius app instead of the Sonos, and listened to it through simple headphones. Flawless. So, now the Sonos is gone, and replaced with a Bose bluetooth speaker, which is also flawless.

The expense was significant, near $300 total for the Sonos 1 speaker and then the Sonos Boost, both of which are out of return warranty by now, with the Boost being the newest at 6 weeks old. So, now I am stuck with $300 of useless electronic devices, which will have to eat or try and recover on eBay.