Answered

Car Charger for Sonos Move?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Badge

Note that it’s likely that the voltage required to charger the phone is likely to be substantially lower than the amount required to charge the much larger battery in the Move. 

True, but Sonos confirmed that the model I’m using meets the specs for a Move charger--see above. So according to Move, this charger should work.

Note that it’s likely that the voltage/ amperage required to charger the phone will be substantially lower than the amount required to charge the much larger battery in the Move. 

Badge

the car charger is plugged in and definitely getting juice… I tested with my phone and got charge immediately. I created a new diagnostic with the car charger plugged in: 1456481897

Badge

it’s VERY weird that the diagnostic dd not show the Move being charged by the Macbook Pro charger because I let the Move drain a bit, then plugged it in again… the Move was at 83% when I plugged it in and has already climbed to 90% in a few minutes… so it’s actually charging. So here’s a new diagnostic with the Macbook Pro charger plugged in: 54634612

I read that other thread before posting here… no one has mentioned a car charger at all in any of the posts I could find so this is apparently a new topic.

plugging the Move into the car charger now to test it… will post a new diagnostic on the next reply so as not to confuse them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @skinbeats, thank you for the update

I checked the diagnostic, the Move isn’t charging with the Macbook pro charger. What are the specifications of the charger?

Yes, we can test the car charger directly and check the diagnostic as long as the Move is connected to the home network.

Take a diagnostic with the Move charging with the car charger.

Even though we couldn’t recommend 3rd-party chargers. Here’s a community thread where users discussing what works for their Moves.

What are people using for USB C charger for Sonos Move 

You can give the thread a read through on what other users use for the Type C port.

Badge

ok submitted diagnostics… the move is charging via my Macbook Pro charger at the moment

confirmation number: 354611557

I can keep the Move in my network and try charging via the car charger in the driveway too if that helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @skinbeats, thank you for the update.

The specifications of the charger are correct for the Move.

I would now like to test the type-C port of the Move. Plug it in with a working type-C charger that is also within the specifications.

Take a diagnostic in the Sonos app while the Move is connected to your home network. Settings > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation.

The diagnostic should show us that the move is charging with the type-C charger.

Badge

If this one doesn’t work, can you recommend one that does?

Badge

Thanks for the reply.  I got NO lights on the Move when I plugged it into this or any other car charger so far. with this charger, I plugged the Move in USB-C to USB-C with the cable provided with the charger.

I did test the USB-C port by charging with my Macbook Pro charger which worked just fine… blinked Amber and charged the speaker to 100% So I know USB-C charging does work.

the model of charger I bought is Nekteck USB Type C Car Charger with 45W Power Delivery and 12W USB

Specifications:

Input: DC 12-18V (Max)

Output: USB Type-C Power Delivery: 5V/9V/12V/15V-3A, 20V-2.25A (Max)

Here’s the Amazon link to the charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WQQG7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @skinbeats, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to know the model of the car charger so I can check out the specifications as well. 

I would like to know what happened when you plugged in the Move to the car with the car charger.

What light did it show? It should flash amber then off on the LED light indicator on the top. 

The type C port on the Move requires a 45 watt - 20V/2.25A or 12V/3A output or a 36 watt - at least 12V/3A or 14V/2.4A output.

Update us with your findings.