Answered

Can you connect more than one Sonos Roam via Bluetooth

Show first post

57 replies

Yep, it does a pretty bad job of doing stuff it wasn’t designed to do. Perversely, it’s an amazing device when deployed for its intended use. 

Badge

I have mine working as a stereo bluetooth pair for the first time. They were set up as a stereo pair on my home sonos network. I then paired both to bluetooth and pressed play. Hey presto! Stereo bluetooth. Not sure if I can recreate it away from home or if I just fluked it. Anyone else get this to work? PS I also just downloaded updates. 

I bought a pair of Roam speakers from a Sonos reseller thinking/assuming that they would (of course) work as a pair. The assistant didn’t point out the flaw in my thinking!

I found out that you can create a pair on a Mac via MIDI and such like but this is disappointing and doesn’t work from my iPhone… and adds a nail in the coffin for me and Sonos. The initial products were great, but why pay a premium price for something that doesn’t quite hit the mark?!

(I have 2 Sonos Move - that I have found out do not work on SonosNet and do not work properly on my mesh network - another pair of nails for products that lack detailed information before buying and only work within a limited set of parameters)

I bought a pair of Roam speakers from a Sonos reseller thinking/assuming that they would (of course) work as a pair. The assistant didn’t point out the flaw in my thinking!

I found out that you can create a pair on a Mac via MIDI and such like but this is disappointing and doesn’t work from my iPhone… and adds a nail in the coffin for me and Sonos. The initial products were great, but why pay a premium price for something that doesn’t quite hit the mark?!

(I have 2 Sonos Move - that I have found out do not work on SonosNet and do not work properly on my mesh network - another pair of nails for products that lack detailed information before buying and only work within a limited set of parameters)

Where have you been the past few years then, since these products were launched. There’s been quite a few discussions about the things mentioned here and elsewhere online - oh and you can stereo pair the Roams and group Roams/Moves together, wherever there’s an accessible network/WiFi connection and play Bluetooth audio to all - I tend to use a mobile hotspot to pair/group them (an iPhone XR in my case) and control/play to all from my iPad App and it’s Bluetooth - only one device needs to be BT paired, even when playing to all.

Thanks guys, this sounds pretty easy and this tip should allow us to listen to good music in stereo in the beach without lugging my much larger JBL Extreme Bluetooth speakers.

Sonos really needs to address this shortcoming, just no excuse for such a limitation with a higher end product like the Roam when much cheaper options have no issues streaming stereo over Bluetooth. Anyone willing to pay Sonos prices does so because they have a deep appreciation for SQ, and most anyone in that portion of the market will typically be less than satisfied with mono. It’s really inexplicable that they still haven’t addressed this at this point. 

Many thanks for the workaround.

Another ‘similar’ option is to connect the mobile device to a rechargeable dual Bluetooth transmitter that can connect/stream to two (Roam) devices simultaneously. It means stereo audio plays on both speakers, but I find that works fine for outdoor use. Here’s an example (selected at random) from Amazon, but there are many others to choose from…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONRU-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Adapter-Black/dp/B0BD89GRW1

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

No, you’ve missed the point, according to prior posts on this thread you’re supposed to be able to group two Roams and play mono Bluetooth signal to both without any additional transmitting devices. If this is not correct than prior posts above are incorrect.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Apologies, might have been another thread or I might have missed the wifi references.

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the Sonos Roam does not support daisy chaining or connecting multiple Roam speakers in mono or stereo via Bluetooth.

It's designed primarily for individual portable use, and while it can connect with other Sonos speakers using Wi-Fi for a multi-room audio experience, this feature is limited when using Bluetooth.

However, Sonos may have released firmware updates or new products with additional features since then.

To get the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the capabilities of the Sonos Roam, I recommend visiting the official Sonos website or checking the user manual for the latest details or any software updates that might have been introduced since my last update.