Skip to main content
Answered

Can I cut plug off Sonos Five power cable and wire into socket?

Hi, I’m looking to wall mount a Sonos 5. I don’t have a socket up high on the wall. I could run one but it will still look messy I think having a plug on the wall. How do people usually do it? All I can think to do is cut the plug off, run the cable in the wall and use an inline fuse to make it safer, then hardwire into the socket. I know Sonos wouldn’t recommend it but can this be done and is it what people usually do or am I missing something?

13 replies

Doing so would more than likely violate a few electrical codes, especially the ones requiring in-wall rated wiring to be used in walls.  It would also be quite the fire hazard. 

Badge

Doing so would more than likely violate a few electrical codes, especially the ones requiring in-wall rated wiring to be used in walls.  It would also be quite the fire hazard. 

What do people usually do? All the marketing images show no plug

As @jgatie says, you are not supposed to run flex within the wall or wall cavities.  Having said that everyone does it.  Well nearly everyone.  I’ve done it.  Short runs shouldn’t be an issue — your house at the end of the day 😋

Badge

As @jgatie says, you are not supposed to run flex within the wall or wall cavities.  Having said that everyone does it.  Well nearly everyone.  I’ve done it.  Short runs shouldn’t be an issue — your house at the end of the day 😋

Ok cool so would I run some kind of in-line fuse or just go straight into the back of the socket? Thanks

What do people usually do? All the marketing images show no plug

Marketing images never show cords or plugs.  Funny thing about marketing images, they don’t actually have to work.  But there are solutions that don’t involve an electrician.  See these:

https://www.amazon.com/Echogear-Power-Voltage-Cable-Management/dp/B07H9C1176?ref_=ast_sto_dp

And here’s the short cables to go with them:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/power-cable-i

As @jgatie says, you are not supposed to run flex within the wall or wall cavities.  Having said that everyone does it.  Well nearly everyone.  I’ve done it.  Short runs shouldn’t be an issue — your house at the end of the day 😋

Ok cool so would I run some kind of in-line fuse or just go straight into the back of the socket? Thanks

I wouldn’t bother with the fused socket.  I would just run the flex in the wall to the nearest socket if there is one nearby.  As lock as the cable run is short and obvious, such that no one is going to drill a hole in it you should be ok.  Technically you shouldn’t do it, as I said everyone does.  I think the in-line fuse is probably overkill but there are many ways to do it — are you in the UK where plugs are fused anyway ?  

Badge

I wouldn’t bother with the fused socket.  I would just run the flex in the wall to the nearest socket if there is one nearby.  As lock as the cable run is short and obvious, such that no one is going to drill a hole in it you should be ok.  Technically you shouldn’t do it, as I said everyone does.  I think the in-line fuse is probably overkill but there are many ways to do it — are you in the UK where plugs are fused anyway ?  

Great. Yep I’m in the UK. Forgot you guys don’t have fuses in plugs. As long as it won’t blow the speaker? There is a module for all my sockets on the fuse board anyway in case there was a major error into the home 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I had these wired into the ring main when I had the kitchen redone a few years ago.

It’s on certified mains cable and then just bought a couple of cheap white power leads from Amazon and cut the plugs off to the right length and hard wired the lead into the switched and fused socket.

If you can get a run of twin and eath spurred off an existing socket and run through the wall to where the speakers are, you should be good to go with the ability to isolate the supply and have a fuse too.

Badge

UPDATE: I need a fused spur with flex outlet. I can cut the plug off and feed it into here and it also has a fuse on it so it meets the regulations 

UPDATE: I need a fused spur with flex outlet. I can cut the plug off and feed it into here and it also has a fuse on it so it meets the regulations 

What difference does it make ?  A 13amp plug has a fuse — same thing.  The thing about running flex is that it has to be obvious where it is.  How you connect it makes no difference. 

Badge

It depends — if you’re running the flex on the surface of the wall, yes.  But the regs prohibit running flex buried within the wall — regardless of whether it is powered through a FCU.  Flex is not designed to be buried.  I think you are fixating too much on the regs — loads of people have wall lights and bury the flex in the wall down to the nearest socket.  Technically it is not allowed, but it works.  FCU’s are for fixed installations but they don’t let you off the hook with regards burying cable into the wall. 

It’s a bit that but it’s more to prevent risking damage to the speaker. I figured if it has a fuse, it’s safer for the actual speaker? I’d rather just run the wire as then I don’t need to chop the wall for a back box. What way would you do it? Thank you 

It depends — if you’re running the flex on the surface of the wall, yes.  But the regs prohibit running flex buried within the wall — regardless of whether it is powered through a FCU.  Flex is not designed to be buried.  I think you are fixating too much on the regs — loads of people have wall lights and bury the flex in the wall down to the nearest socket.  Technically it is not allowed, but it works.  FCU’s are for fixed installations but they don’t let you off the hook with regards burying cable into the wall. 

It’s a bit that but it’s more to prevent risking damage to the speaker. I figured if it has a fuse, it’s safer for the actual speaker? I’d rather just run the wire as then I don’t need to chop the wall for a back box. What way would you do it? Thank you 

I amended my earlier answer — sorry for the confusion.  There is a fuse in a 3pin plug and there is a fuse in the FCU, so as far as the speaker is concerned — no difference.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m no electrician, so I can’t say if it will meet regs, but if you do go the way you’re planning, use a switched, fused spur. Then if you need to restart the speaker you just flick the switch.