Airplay 2: Existing Sonos One speakers not showing up

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hi
I have a Playbar , 2 x Sonos One (working as 5.1 in lounge with playbar) and a 2nd gen play 5. I have updated the sonos app on my iPad but can only see the play 5 for use with Airplay 2. Am I missing something please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Goodness I hope that's the not case, Ones used as surrounds don't work with Airplay 2. I use that surround system the most when not enjoying a movie. Would have saved myself the $ and bought Play:1's instead. Do you remember where you saw that at? If not, would be great if you could share it if you happen upon it again.

Hi ChrisWalsh,

In a Sonos 5.1 setup, the device connected to your TV determines its Airplay 2 compatibility. Due to the way the 5.1 speakers communicate, it wouldn't work well for the rear speakers to handle Airplay streaming for the front channel. If your 5.1 setup has a PLAYBASE or a BEAM for its front channel, you can use the speakers as a target for Airplay 2. If you are using a PLAYBAR, you can't target the speakers for Airplay 2 even if you have Sonos Ones for your rear speakers.

As with all Sonos speakers, you can group the 5.1 speakers with a Sonos One, PLAY:5 gen. 2, PLAYBASE or Beam, and target the group for Airplay 2 streaming.
Yep, I'm an idiot. Turns out that I have a PLAY:1. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time. All along I thought the Christmas gift I got was a Sonos One, and couldn't wait for AirPlay2. Fail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the response, Bruce. Diagnostic confirmation #1316626023. I've rebooted/powercycled everything in my network, including IOS devices and router....multiple times for my Sonos One. I will definitely post the resolution if/when one is provided. For Chris, I could be wrong, but in my search for a solution I think I remember seeing something that said that surrounds would not work with AirPlay...but forgive me if I'm providing bogus info.

Hi BMcF,

The only speaker I see in your report is a PLAY:1, which does not support Airplay 2. The Sonos One, however does. It's a tad confusing as the names are similar, but you can tell because the Sonos One has a microphone button on the top while the PLAY:1 does not.
No, that's correct, a Sonos One bonded to the controller of a PLAYBAR does take away the ability to have it act as an AirPlay target. It's the controller of the room (the PLAYBAR) that is the significant device in that equation.
Goodness I hope that's the not case, Ones used as surrounds don't work with Airplay 2. I use that surround system the most when not enjoying a movie. Would have saved myself the $ and bought Play:1's instead. Do you remember where you saw that at? If not, would be great if you could share it if you happen upon it again.
Thanks for the response, Bruce. Diagnostic confirmation #1316626023. I've rebooted/powercycled everything in my network, including IOS devices and router....multiple times for my Sonos One. I will definitely post the resolution if/when one is provided. For Chris, I could be wrong, but in my search for a solution I think I remember seeing something that said that surrounds would not work with AirPlay...but forgive me if I'm providing bogus info.
I'm having the same problem. I've 3 Ones. 1 is a standalone and works fine with AirPlay 2. The 2 others are grouped as "sorrounds" with a PlayBar and Sub, they do NOT show up in AirPlay 2. What gives? Seems like a code defect. Anyone at Sonos tracking and resolving it?
Might be helpful to Kieth if you were to share the diagnostic number with him, so he can see the specifics of your system, and perhaps point out why it's not showing up.

I, of course, don't have access to that data, but I'd certainly start off testing by power cycling the speaker. Since each speaker is essentially a computer, it doesn't hurt to reset the OS, so to speak, and force it to reboot.

My apologies for you getting sent back to my post, although I'm just a customer, not a Sonos employee, so I don't have much control over Sonos' emails to you.

I'd certainly be interested in the resolution to the problem though. I can't think of a particular reason why you're not able to see your Sonos Ones, so whatever solution you get from Sonos, I'd ask you to post back here, so that others can learn from your experience.
Screenshot
I have a Sonos One, which is working fine otherwise with the Sonos apps and Alexa. It's obviously available/visible on the network.
But assuming that they are Sonos Ones, and not PLAY:1s, they certainly should be showing up, assuming that you have AIrPlay turned on on your iOS or Mac devices.
Bruce makes a great point here.

The Play:1 is not AirPlay 2 compatible. The Sonos One is AirPlay 2 compatible.

Which do you have?
Nice circular reference...I submitted the diagnostics and opened a case. They just sent me an email directing me to look at your response.
Same response.
Same issue
That's odd. Perhaps you may want to submit a system diagnostic , and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

But assuming that they are Sonos Ones, and not PLAY:1s, they certainly should be showing up, assuming that you have AIrPlay turned on on your iOS or Mac devices.