A New "Era" of Sonos Speakers

• 6 February 2023
  • 99 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I found this article about the Era 300 on the Sonos website.

https://blog-stage.sonos.com/en-us/guide-to-spatial-audio

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

This looks like an article in progress that will be posted later on the Sonos blog. The images are missing or blurred. It says the best use of the Era 300 is as rear surrounds with a sound bar at the front. They also provide some Amazon spatial audio tracks to try.

I stumbled upon this by googling “Amazon spatial audio on Sonos.”

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

The photo of the 100 does not appear to show an ethernet port. Quite often when providing help on this board the suggestion is made to temporarily wire one device to the router. Are moving into an era where fixing network issues becomes harder to do?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Shipping as promised….so far zo good 

Nice… but odd that outside folks would have access to their staging environment, I’d be guessing a misconfiguration ;)

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sonos:  just make sure speaker stands are ready to go as well...

Slightly more difficult, I suspect. I’d put money on the fact the stands aren’t made by Sonos in Sonos manufacturing plants, but made by third parties. Just a guess, mind you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Looks like the link is password protected now, so legit? 

If a line in source needs the Sonos adapter, what does the on body USB socket do on its own with no adapter?

No more the ‘end of SonosNet’ than the fact that the Sonos Roam or the Sonos Move don’t connect to SonosNet, either. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

No more the ‘end of SonosNet’ than the fact that the Sonos Roam or the Sonos Move don’t connect to SonosNet, either. 

I agree that our older SonosNet speakers will be fine working this way still but I’d put money on the fact that Sonos probably won’t make anymore now that support it. Otherwise why won’t these 2 new ones support it? They always stated the portables did not support it given their portable nature.

It’s a shame I think as I think SonosNet is a great feature but I also understand it is there due to how the original speakers used to work, back in the old days 😀 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The end of Sonosnet?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

This one surprises me a bit. I like that Sonos builds its own mesh and had just kind of assumed Era would continue that tradition. 

It surprised me too. It’s a shame I think as I love the SonosNet feature with Sonos although I know my existing system will still be fine working on it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Really don’t know how to use the ERA 300 as surrounds since my couch is against the wall...

It says the best use of the Era 300 is as rear surrounds with a sound bar at the front. 

I hope this doesn’t mean that the Era 300 can’t play atmos music on it’s own, without being bonded to an Arc or Beam (Gen2).  That would be rather disappointing.

Badge +20

It says the best use of the Era 300 is as rear surrounds with a sound bar at the front. 

I hope this doesn’t mean that the Era 300 can’t play atmos music on it’s own, without being bonded to an Arc or Beam (Gen2).  That would be rather disappointing.

The article clearly said (towards the bottom) you can use a single or pair of Era 300’s for Atmos music.

The article clearly said (towards the bottom) you can use a single or pair of Era 300’s for Atmos music.

The link to article for the Sonos blog is requiring a password,  so the only information I have is what @dan8558 stated.

The photo of the 100 does not appear to show an ethernet port. Quite often when providing help on this board the suggestion is made to temporarily wire one device to the router. Are moving into an era where fixing network issues becomes harder to do?

“Sonos will separately sell a line-in adapter for USB-C audio and a “combo adapter” for plugging in over ethernet”

USB C to ethernet adapters run about $15 on Amazon, if you don’t need audio.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I noticed the dreaded “pre-order" phrase included in my email notification. 

Sonos: just build the damn things and then offer to the market, don't get greedy for cash and put your best customers in pre-orders wait time hell.

Latency rate is not mention? Specially for gamers that is very important thing. I have other brand headphones but their Latency rate is 50 to 70ms. And is there any app they develop to control the volume? It give more branding look and now a day everyone have android phone to install app.

Latency rate is not mention? Specially for gamers that is very important thing. I have other brand headphones but their Latency rate is 50 to 70ms. And is there any app they develop to control the volume? It give more branding look and now a day everyone have android phone to install app.

I’d guess there will be a line-in latency of 75ms, that’s geared for ‘grouping’ speakers, as that applies with existing Sonos products, but that’s obviously a guess on my part and these speakers seem to be part of a multi-room wireless audio system for TV/Music audio rather than gaming speakers, unless of course they are perhaps ‘bonded’ (not grouped) with a Sonos Home Theatre Product, which are more suitable for gaming purposes. The latency is minimal/negligible when it comes to HT surrounds/Sub. I’m guessing the new Era’s will be capable of being used for ‘surround’ duty.

The Android App by the way, alongside other platforms, for control of the speakers is available here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

The latency is probably software based, and not hardware based. Sonos is set up for 2.4Ghz synchronization across multiple rooms. It doesn’t matter how ‘fast’ the encoding from Analog to digital, or how fast the digital input is, it matters in the Sonos system how the engineers programmed the software in order to have enough ‘buffer’ to play in sync across multiple devices connected (worst case) to a 2.4 GHz channel. 

In order to have Sonos play across multiple rooms more quickly, the underlying premise of Sonos would need to fundamentally change. 

Badge +2

Is the Era 300 supposed to be considered an upgrade to the Play 5?

Badge +2

Is the Era 300 supposed to be considered an upgrade to the Play 5?

Based on the article, it looks like the Era 300 will be in a separate class than the Five. The 300 is designed more for Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio whereas the Five will still be Sonos’ flagship speaker for the stereo purists.

Makes sense. Thanks!!

Reports suggest that the 100 has a line in using USB C. How will that work, or, what will that work with?

I have always believed that the Play 1/One would have been a better product than what it already is, if it had a line in jack. But I am not sure what the 100 is reported to have, is that feature.