Answered

Sonos Voice Control voice response way too loud .... How to change response volume level ?

• 23 February 2023
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 3

Turned on Sonos Voice Control and it works great.  Problem is that the volume of the Voice Control reponse is much to loud.  No matter what the level of music playing is the Sonos Voice Control reply seems to remain constant … but the volume is problematic as it is so loud.

Hoping there is a way to control and change the volume of the Sonos Voice Control response voice.  Does anyone know how to do this and are you experiencing the same problem where the voice response is much much too loud ?

The command “Hey Sonos Voice Control Softer” does lower the level of the voice control response.  If I set the music level louder though the voice control level seems to then match the music level volume.  Problem is that playing music at 70 or 80% sounds fine and not too loud but then the Voice Control level response changes and sounds much louder that the level of the music that was playing.

Want to be able to play music at a pleasant level and have the Sonos Voice assistant response level stay the same and at a lower level that does not hurt my ears.    This is causing me to not want to use the assistant.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 February 2023, 11:19

View original

31 replies

I agree with having separate controls for adjusting the volume of the voice assistant.

The speaker in my room stays in the same position. I might stay in the same position as well, but depending on the current volume level the voice assistant mutes the current music and then either talks to or SHOUTS AT me.

Especially with radio stations, you might have to first increase the volume a decent amount before hearing anything. The assistant though doesn't take into account how "loud" something is playing but at which volume level.

Please introduce an optional setting to set the voice assistant to a user-defined fixed volume level!

Has this been fixed yet? It should be logged as a bug and not a feature request. P1 priority critical bug. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Really a shame, I have three Sonos speaker sets around my house, (plus a pair of roams) and regrettably cannot use Sonos Voice Control, BECAUSE IT IS WAY TOO LOUD!  When a voice assistant (from just one room) can be heard in multiple rooms of a house, but the music is limited to the room intended for use then obviously, there is something that needs to be fixed.  Sonos is my “goto” for audio.  (And I switched from that name that everyone billed as the top of the rock when Sonos came out with the play1’s, upgrading to the latest and greatest in subsequent product releases).  However, this one downer regarding the voice assistant volume setting is such a disappointment.  I can only hope that Sonos takes their premier audio expertise and the wishes of its users to heart and does something “for us” as loyal users of their product and eliminate the frustration that exists.  I know I will never use the voice assistant feature until it gets fixed, but of course I do continue to enjoy the premier quality of the music that the speakers provide to me.  

Agree! Sonos, please add this feature. I’m gonna skip the voice assistant until then. 

Same problem here. Bought 2 Era 100s at Christmas and the Voice Control volume is significantly higher than the Spotify Connect and the BBC Radio Streams and the News Broadcasting stream volumes. It’s not the recordings… I’ve tried it on a wide range of music. Recent grime albums and seventies folk are all quieter than Voice Control. It doesn't matter which Voice Control - Alexa and Sonus both scare the neighbour’s cat unless I drop the volume before calling the activation word… this is not a great experience.

Observations -

• Alexa VC changes volume while talking. it’s not stable.
  • The Sonos App Volume Limit behaves weirdly.  It doesn’t cap absolute volume, instead it scales volume down.  There are differences between the apps when I do this... I can’t be sure but I think the volume drift occurred when I first set this to 37%.

The thing is unusable at the moment - please can we have an update?

DS

I had a similar problem with the Sonos One. Rebooting the device helped me, I think the software gets stuck in the ducking mode sometimes, which is when the volume lowers when taking a voice command. Then you later increase the volume to an acceptable listening level again but the voice assistant chimes and responses don't get ducked, resulting in those being at blasting volumes.

My era100s paired with a beam started doing this recently as well which I hope a reboot will fix that as well. Close to max volume on the speakers and music doesn't get nearly as loud as they did upon first installation.