Answered

Microphone randomly turning on or off on new Sonos Arc with just Sonos Voice Control

• 29 October 2023
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve just recently installed a Sonos Arc with eArc from a Samsung TV. I’ve noticed while I am watching video from a FireStick 4K Max, occasionally (seemingly randomly), the Arc will turn on or off the microphone. I haven’t noticed this happen while watching cable TV or through other HDMI sources (blue-ray, etc).

I haven’t been able to narrow down any more details around when this happens other than it seems to be randomly and only with the Firestick input. I haven’t found anything similar on searches, but has anyone else experienced similar or how to get this to stop? I’m not using Alex or any other voice services other than Sonos Voice Control.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 December 2023, 11:37

View original

71 replies

Just wanna report back here that I got the replacement arc and so far so good.  The mic is working as it should be and hasn’t turn off by itself. The new arc is manufactured in Dec 2023.

Badge

Thanks, after the 3rd contact with support -- Arc will be exchanged, hopefully the new one does not have the issue again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Corry P Thanks for the quick reply and the update on the resolution of the case. I appreciate it.

For anyone else tracking, overall I would say I had a pleasant experience with having to get in touch with technical support. I tried calling, but they don’t open the phones until 9am EST and it was 8:40. Since I have to leave this morning, I noticed that the online chat option was available and the green light for agents (not just the “helpful” chat bot). So I gave chat a chance.

I had to go through all of the same information explanations, but wasn’t asked to do a bunch of troubleshooting steps with my speaker, other than providing the serial number. Like Cory P stated, the resolution is to replace the unit. I was assured that the problem doesn’t exist on a properly functioning unit. I was on chat for right at 35 minutes, but now have a closed troubleshooting ticket, with a reference number, and am waiting on contact via email to begin the replacement process. I’m supposed to receive that email in the next 24 hours.

I asked and was told that I will have the option to send back my speaker first and then receive a replacement, which leaves me without a speaker. Or, I can opt for getting the replacement and then sending back the defective unit. I presume that the second option will involve providing either a credit card number for an authorization hold, or possibly to be temporarily charged the replacement amount until they receive the defective unit, but that is just a good guess. I will likely use the second option, because my speaker does work, I just can’t use my touch controls since I had to disable them to “fix” the random microphone on/off issue.

Overall, even though it took time for Sonos to come up with a resolution for their customers, I would say this was a positive process, and I’m quite happy with not having to go through a bunch of unnecessary troubleshooting steps that many other companies would require when trying to call in to resolve an ongoing issue. I’m still quite happy with my Sonos product environment in my house, and will continue to buy their stuff, especially with good quality support both in the community here, and through their online/phone call support.

Hopefully all of this information helps someone!

Userlevel 2

@ShaunG Thanks for sharing. I checked. My new Arc is truely a new Arc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I too have this issue with the mic, and contacted the sonos support chat a week or so back. They asked a few questions and almost immediately said I need a replacement. 

Got the returns email in 24 hrs as promised, and have selected the Advanced Return option so the replacement is shipped first. This means i can use the box from the replacement to send the old one back as i threw the box out.

While far from ideal solution, and i appreciate others have had a slightly less than perfect experience with Sonos CS on here, compared to the fiasco that is Bang & Olufsen warranty returns, which took over 3 months and multiple threats of legal action to get a working speaker back, Sonos Support have been mightily helpful and this is how customers should be treated.

Hats off to you Sonos. Been a customer since 2008 with the old ZP120 and ZP90 and the funky remote control, and will certainly continue to be a customer.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ShaunG 

No, you won’t need your case number - all we need is your registered email address to find your existing case(s).

The last agent you spoke to who currently has ownership of your case seems to be off today, so I’ve taken steps from over here in Europe to get someone to take ownership of your case and get things moving again - I don’t think there’s any need for you to call in again. Please keep an eye on your emails.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Same here in the Netherlands, mic turns off and on by itself

Bought 28 march 2024

Is this a hardware or software problem.

Sonos ask to exchange the arc for a new one.

I'm afraid if I get a new arc it will have the same problem!

@wimvandijk : check the date of manufacture. Mine was august 23. Sonos exchanged it for one from november 23. Issue did not manifest it self. Check my input above.

Series nrumber A107 2401 cy so the arc is from januari 2024 and still I have the microfoon on/off problem 

Then I am out of advice…except that I would still let Sonos replace it by a new one. They check if the issue manifests it self before sending it to you (that’s what Sonos told me before they shipped mine).

Badge

Second replacement (frist had the same issue) arrived today, it seems now it´s working. Alexa is active and the microphone does not go inactive byself the last 4 hours while playing music and watch TV (touch control not disabled).

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Chagn 

I can only recommend you get in touch with our technical support team regarding your new Arc’s behaviour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ShaunG 

I’ve been informed that we’ve sent you an email once again - I hope it will get through to you this time. Could you please confirm if you have received it or not? If not, perhaps you have an alternate email address that we may have more luck with? If so, please let me know what it is by a Direct Message to me here and I’ll try to get the label sent there instead.

Thank you for your feedback - I assume it was somewhat cathartic to get that off your chest, but it is also extremely useful for us to pass along to management so we can improve procedures and such like. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Airgetlam Speakers are a wearable item that will eventually fail because of currents passed through the wires. Electronics are also able to wear down as they age and are used. You don't know what was replaced in a refurbished unit and yes, they go through the a ting for full functionality, but that means nothing on the overall longevity of the unit. 

Check out any company that sells refurbished units and you will see a drastically reduced warranty vs the original new equipment warranty. The manufacturers know this too, and account for it in thebreduced warranty. 

I'll take new any day with the full warranty over an unknown condition "refurbished" unit where the manufacturer can only do so much to test and evaluate the product.  Especially when a new unit was paid for, and not a refurbished unit. I'm a computer engineer, for what it's worth. 

It's good to hear Sonos is making right those of us with units that were defective from the box.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Corry P Thanks a bunch for all of your help! Within a couple of minutes on your post, I had an email get through to me. I was by far able to get more information with your help than through chat/phone. I hope they can improve on their process, since the issues I had shouldn’t be possible. I was finally able to use the link and get my advanced replacement processed. Now to just wait for the speaker to come in. That’s also great news that the units with the microphone issue have cycled through inventory. I’m looking forward to being able to use the touch buttons on the Arc again.

@Chagn Thanks for the helpful info. I’m hopeful my first replacement unit will be what I need to get fully functional.

As a side note, the community forum with Sonos employee representation is by far a better experience for me than dealing with the frustrations of chat and/or phone support. Although all of the customer support personnel have been extremely friendly, I never got a positive result from either chat or phone. The entire process needs to be refined so customers are not sitting waiting for an email to never come. The follow up/verification process on the support side needs to be modified so this isn’t possible. Better yet, most other companies will process RMA returns right there on the phone with you so no other steps are necessary.

I’ll follow up once I get the replacement in, and the old unit out. The only hesitation I have now is the caution on the advanced replacement method. I have 14 days from the date the RMA is generated to return the old speaker. Not only that, but it apparently has to be received and verified by the 14th day, which reduces the time line even more. It’s the Christmas holiday now, which will very likely delay everything (receiving and sending), so I’m going to be a very unhappy customer if I get charged for a speaker because of delays/processing time. More to follow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ShaunG et al

We now recommend that anyone affected by this issue get in touch with our technical support team directly for a resolution. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Chagn 

The guidance for what our agents should do with such cases has changed - if you get back in touch, they will take care of you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ben01184 

If you add either Alexa or Sonos Voice Control (or both) to a speaker before it’s bonded as a surround speaker, the voice assistant(s) will remain, and the microphone(s) will be active.

So, please remove your Era 300 surrounds from the Arc, add your Voice Assistant of choice to one of them, then bond them back to the Arc once more to use a Voice Assistant on your surround speakers while you wait for this issue to be resolved.

Remove surround speakers

Set up Amazon Alexa with a voice-enabled Sonos speaker

Control Sonos with Sonos Voice Control

Add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater

Google Assistant can only be added to surrounds if the Home Theatre primary device does not support Voice Assistants, and cannot be added to Era models at all.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

That's a less than satisfactory solution that isn't a solution. Why can't the resolution be put in here instead of requiring us to jump through hoops to get an answer that you likely already know?

Same here in France, Mic turns off and on by itself.

Don’t want an exchange but hope a software fix soon..

Bought last week and serial number begun by A105 2308, I guess built by 2024 August.

Userlevel 2

As I stated before:

Microphone randomly turning on or off on new Sonos Arc (with Google Assistant AND Sonos Voice Control).

Tested with various set-ups and input-sources. Took me 1 phone call with Sonos on Friday 26 January 2024. Monday 29 January 2024 in the morning a brand new Arc was delivered (from Poland to Holland). Tested it and the issue did not manifest. Free shipping for returning the faulty Arc. Good performance Sonos!!! I am very satisfied and happy!

Case closed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Stalem That's great news, glad it worked out for you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ShaunG 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are actively investigating this issue, but do not currently have an ETA for a fix. We will follow up here as soon as we have an update or fix available.

You’ve already found the workaround to disable the touch controls - this will keep the voice assistant active in the meantime.

I hope this helps.

I am having the same issue of the microphone turning on and off randomly. Cannot use Google Assistant reliably due to this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

See 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ShaunG 

Sorry to hear of the issue you had with organising a replacement, though it does look like things will be sorted out for you soon - as @Chagn demonstrated, this is certainly not normal.

I’ve been told that all the affected Arcs have been purged from the warehouse, so the chances of now receiving a replacement Arc with the same issue should be close to zero.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ShaunG 

I’m very glad to hear that things have finally begun moving along as they should have initially - thanks for getting back to me. The backup email address was really just to cover all possibilities, just in case - it was indeed a problem with our own systems that were causing these issues.

I will be sure to hand the feedback you’ve left here in the last few posts to the relevant teams - thank you again.

And regarding feedback for my own contribution, I believe you have already taken care of that! Thanks!

Userlevel 2

Same here in the Netherlands, mic turns off and on by itself

Bought 28 march 2024

Is this a hardware or software problem.

Sonos ask to exchange the arc for a new one.

I'm afraid if I get a new arc it will have the same problem!

@wimvandijk : check the date of manufacture. Mine was august 23. Sonos exchanged it for one from november 23. Issue did not manifest it self. Check my input above.