Sonos doorbell

• 12 March 2016
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi all.
Tom B an excellent support guy from Sonos suggested I post this here as he knows the tech guys keep an eye on the forums for ideas and problems.

I suggested to him that as I live in a townhouse and have speakers throughout we cannot here our door bell while music is on through our system.
So.............I would like to see a Sonos doorbell that feeds through the speakers when someone presses it, perhaps loweting the volume a little as it does so that the bell is obvious over the underlying music.

What do you think?

regards
Stephen H

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I do sometime wish Sonos had a small "quick wins" dev team. There are a collection of small initiatives that would really improve the whole experience. This, time initiated night mode for playbar, selectable dark/light theme, one click access to equaliser, etc etc. They would not on their own get to the top of any dev list but sometimes the smallest of things can still make an impact 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Completely agree - they stay focused on the big stuff but never give us any of the little stuff.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It can be done via Smartthings I am sure ... have Ring be the trigger. When triggered Sonos interrupt music and can text to speech "Someone is at the door". I thought it could resume but I would have to dig in deeper. All the skills may just play something after.

Doesn't Sonos Voice app resume? I'm curious now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I currently use SmartThings for a variety of tasks related to my Sonos speakers, including doorbell actions. So when my doorbell rings, for example, the volume of my music is reduced (or the TV pauses, depending) and certain lights are turned on as needed after sunset. I also use ST, along with webCoRE & IFTTT, so I can both adjust the group volume via Alexa and create sleep timers via Alexa (features both missing from the current Sonos/Alexa integration), as well as automatically reduce the preset volume of any speakers that have been inactive for a period of time to my desired default level.

And yes, it is possible to have voice notifications of events like doors that have been left open, etc via ST as well. Unfortunately, the ST Device-Type Handler (DTH) for Sonos is quite poorly implemented, so some things like "speak text and resume," while possible, are a bit hit and miss. Like @bockersjv, I'd love to see an initiative to address some of these deficiencies. A few small initiatives, like providing a more current and comprehensive DTH, would open a whole world of possibilities for Sonos products with a bare minimum investment of time or money.
I wrote a simple open source server that can trigger doorbell chimes from a web request (easy to drive with IoT devices or devices like a doorbird)
https://github.com/EliSchleifer/sonos-doorbell

In case you find this useful
I wrote a simple open source server that can trigger doorbell chimes from a web request (easy to drive with IoT devices or devices like a doorbird)
https://github.com/EliSchleifer/sonos-doorbell

In case you find this useful

Wow! Thanks! Will try this out and let you know how I make out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Today we just announced that IFTTT and Sonos have been integrated, and you can use it with smart door bells to get chimes and other actions to work with Sonos. Take a look at our announcement post.