If This Then Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
  • Community Manager
  • 10605 replies
Sonos has always been committed to providing more choice for what you listen to at home. Last year, we furthered that commitment with our Works with Sonos program and yesterday we introduced our new open API - the Sonos Sound Platform. Today, we're excited to announce a new platform integration with IFTTT, which will connect your home sound system to even more of the devices you love. 

IFTTT has integrated hundreds of different smart home products, websites and content providers and with today's beta launch, you can trigger your favorite songs and sounds on Sonos from millions of different IFTTT events.

Now you can have Sonos start your favorite radio station when your Ring-enabled door unlocks after you get home, or play your special pizza song (you do have a special pizza song, don't you?) when your Domino's order goes out for delivery. Having a party? Set your lights and your music using Phillips Hue. 

Actions available from your Sonos devices include basic playback control, pause/resume/next/previous, and volume controls (up, down, mute and unmute). You can start playing a pre-defined Sonos Favorite or song, album and artist playlist. 

IFTTT opens up millions of possibilities for customizing your smart home with Sonos in new and exciting ways. Create Applets or recipes to send commands to Sonos using the "then that" section of your command, also known as the "action".  

We're looking forward to hearing and seeing what you've set up with Sonos and IFTTT and want you to share cool ideas and Applets in the board here.

Sign up for IFTTT on https://ifttt.com/ and you can see what's available on our service page.

47 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Many thanks Ryan! This was a very long awaited/requested feature and I'm pleased it's finally here! Even if in the meantime some of us bought third party systems (such as Smarthings) to give a basic remote control of our Sonos environment as a workaround. I certainly hope the IFTTT channel as it is officially maintained by Sonos will offer more options.

Would you consider commands to group rooms and commands to issue text to speech in the near future? Also right now I can only see distinct actions to change the volume and play a stream, but no ability to set the playing volume for a stream (hence requiring two separate actions).

Also, are you planning to add triggers as well to issue smart home actions when a speaker starts or stops playing? (Right now all I see are actions)

Well done and thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
You're welcome! The team is just getting started. You'll see more functionality added over time as the beta develops. You're correct, Sonos is only available as an action for the system, not for triggers. I don't have any specific plans I can share on what's up next or will come down the road. I'll make sure to pass along your feedback to the team so they know what the community is asking for.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I'm pleased to see these developments. Like @william_37 I would love to have the ability within both the API and IFTTT to manage groups. I've long been able to control my speakers using SmartThings and webCoRE in a manner equal to or better than the present IFTTT actions allow (i.e., implementing TTS. for example), but managing groups has long been on my wish list. I hope as the new API advances either Sonos or an outside developer will be able to expand on the current Device-Type Handler (DTH) currently available for Sonos within SmartThings, which in turn will help us make Sonos a more cohesive partner within our smart home systems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I do use IFTTT for 'triggering' a few rather basic actions, like emailing shopping lists, ringing a lost mobile, flashing lights for reminders etc. and this latest Sonos integration, now opens up many further possibilities.

I personally wish Philips Hue lights and their motion sensors were available as 'triggers' too and not just in the 'actions' area, as it would be quite nice to trigger a particular light-scene in a room and then have Sonos automatically begin playing some music that suits the chosen mood/atmosphere... or of course vice versa, where a 'triggered' Sonos playlist, then switches on a suitable hue light-scene in a room, during post-sunset hours.

It’s really great to see all these smart-home devices beginning to communicate with each other in a very simple and customisable way for the end-user.

Thankyou so much Sonos ... really looking forward to using some of these useful actions and seeing the ongoing development with this new integration.👍
Badge +1
I'm confused by the 'Pause entire household' option? I want to pause all speakers when I leave home but this gives the option of individual speakers plus the option already mentioned.

Very happy with the integration though, my Kronaby watch is now set to play a favourite with the press of a button.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Not sure if it's the intended behaviour or a bug, but when specifying a URL to a sound file (e.g. mp3), it plays in an uninterrupted loop instead of stopping after one playback.

I do understand this if the URL actually references a live audio stream, but I would also need to play one off sounds on specifics IFTTT triggers, so is there a way for the system to differentiate between these single audio files playbacks and live streams?

Many thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@billythepuppet, thanks for the feedback. I'll pass that along to the team so they can look into ways to make it a little more clear and generally a better experience overall. The IFTTT integration is in beta, so you can expect to see it changing.

@william_37, your analysis on why it functions is exactly correct in this case. The Play Stream is designed for use with longer content, such as internet radio. I'll pass along a suggestion to the team for some sort of Play Clip or timed play option.
Great news but what would even be better is to hear that SONOS now connects to Google Home and to my NEST system. But hey, I can wait, and wait, and wait some more::cool:...............
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@Tuck, Google Assistant support is coming this year. With IFTTT you might be able to get a little something working before hand, but nothing like what we're working on.
Badge
Am I missing something? Trying to play a favorite or playlist by sending an email or text but don't see that applet available. Any reason why?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
lansa wrote:

Am I missing something? Trying to play a favorite or playlist by sending an email or text but don't see that applet available. Any reason why?

You need to create your own applet using the IFTTTT app or website, consisting of a trigger (such as 'Send IFTTT an email tagged') and an action using one of the Sonos actions. Looks something like the following when done:

This is really cool.

One thing is I can use it to play favourites but I don't seem to be able to set a Sonos Playlist as a favourite in the app. Is there a way of using it to play Sonos Playlists?
Badge
This is excellent news!! And it works great. I have been able to create my own applets to control Sonos from my Google Home device. What's fantastic is that I can now integrate my "goodnight" and "good morning" functions so that my Nest lights and Sonos work together to create the settings. Truly excellent, sending a huge thank you and applause to all the Sonos folks and beyond who helped bring this to fruition. :cool:
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
opusdeath wrote:

One thing is I can use it to play favourites but I don't seem to be able to set a Sonos Playlist as a favourite in the app. Is there a way of using it to play Sonos Playlists?

I had to use the desktop app to add a Playlist to my favorites as it wasn't obvious to me how do it in the phone app.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ok could someone please explain to me how when away, I can turn on individual Sonos throughout the house to play something so neighbours think there is someone in,for example.
Master T wrote:

opusdeath wrote:

I had to use the desktop app to add a Playlist to my favorites as it wasn't obvious to me how do it in the phone app.

Thanks so much. This changes EVERYTHING :D
Thanks so much for this feature! I have had a play and setup some great appletts:

Connecting to my Ring doorbell so I have a doorbell sound over Sonos
Connecting to Nest Protect so if an emergency it sounds over Sonos

Info here: https://www.smarthomegeeks.co.uk/how-to/how-to-connect-sonos-to-ifttt/

It would be really cool if you could add alarms to IFTTT?
Master T wrote:

opusdeath wrote:

Hopefully that is not one of the features going away in the upcoming desktop update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
upstatemike wrote:

Hopefully that is not one of the features going away in the upcoming desktop update.

It's not going away with that update. It's some of the configuration and setup stuff within settings that are getting removed, and just about everything that's going away is listed in the thread. (I only say "just about" in case I forgot something.) Music library management and playlist work will all be staying the same. Including adding radio stations.

But let's keep that discussion in the right place.
William_37 wrote:

Not sure if it's the intended behaviour or a bug, but when specifying a URL to a sound file (e.g. mp3), it plays in an uninterrupted loop instead of stopping after one playback.

I do understand this if the URL actually references a live audio stream, but I would also need to play one off sounds on specifics IFTTT triggers, so is there a way for the system to differentiate between these single audio files playbacks and live streams?

Many thanks

Yes 1000* +1. delighted to be getting closer to a proper integration for my Ring doorbell and my Sonos speakers. Gutted that I cant use it as the notification just loops.
@william_37, your analysis on why it functions is exactly correct in this case. The Play Stream is designed for use with longer content, such as internet radio. I'll pass along a suggestion to the team for some sort of Play Clip or timed play option.[/quote]

Yes I have the same issue.

Can I suggest adding a 'notification' type which will resume the previous scene or state after playing a chosen sound/track at a specific volume.

LIFX have this functionality with IFTTT. Below the IFTTT Applet flashes the lights in a predefined Scene (group) blue at a 100% brightness when my doorbell rings. Afterwards they return to the colour and brightness they were previously at. Obviously not so noticeable in the day time so I really hope to be able to use Sonos as well.

Perhaps in the meantime you could remove the looping notification/tracks?

Sorry pasted 2 screen shots together incorrectly on the previous post hence the double up on some options.

Hi, I am really looking forward to integration ifttt as well with my Sonos but I ran in to a problem activating the applet. When I want to choose a room/device ifttt returns an error and the room drop-down just says 'loading'. My favourites are populated though. I tried revoking the permissions and activating them again but no joy. Any idea how I can debug this further?

Can you maybe work on an option to group all your speakers with one button?
This is useful if you connect the playbar to the tv, without using all speakers in house.
If you can group all the speakers afterwards, you could easily hear the same song troughout your whole house.

Besides that it's great that you're working with IFTTT, can't wait to see more :D!
Hi folks!
I'm new to this world, can someone tell me if i can start music from my Sonos with Google Home mini using IFTTT?
I've already set my 2 account on ifttt page, when i say something like "Ok Google start Sonos" (like i've set up on ifttt page) google home mini don't reply to me, it seems like he reached the command but can't send it to Sonos...
Anyone did it?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings