Answered

Siri Local Integration

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Any news regarding this topic? Would be a nice christmas present :)

thanks and br

If you do a search on Google, there hasn’t been any new news articles on the subject since June. The only thing I’ve found is one home smart thermostat by ecobee that is the first third party device to support Siri integration. Here’s what’s quoted in the fine print for it below.

Well I did and I found nothing new => so I’m asking sonos “directly” for a new status. ;)

Again this is really frustrating that Sonos would have to tell their customers to buy a competitors smart speaker to get Siri integration with their own speaker. This is Apple not playing nice in my opinion, as an Apple TV is a viable home hub, so why not make that compatible for Siri integration?

To be honest for me as a customer it would be more frustrating knowing that there is technically a possible solution to integrate siri on sonos but it is not integrated due to some reasons. 

And thinking about the money I spend in sonos (4 sonos one, one roam, 2 beam) I don’t really care if I would have to buy one homepod mini for the siri feature if I really want it. (for the trueplay setup you also need an iphone at the moment e.g.) otherwise there is still alexa or google, so you don’t have to buy one.

I totally get your point but honestly speaking I don’t really care from the customer point of view.

I would be happy if the feature would be technically provided in the future :)

Edit: 

as an Apple TV is a viable home hub, so why not make that compatible for Siri integration?

I would be also fine with that.

Well I did and I found nothing new => so I’m asking sonos “directly” for a new status. ;)

PS. BTW in future, if you want to direct your question to Sonos directly (and not to the community), indicate that on your question (i.e. Can someone at Sonos let me know the status of this?).

that was my intention. thanks :)

Can someone at Sonos update us as to where they are at on adding Siri support to Sonos products (with the required HomePod Mini on the network)

Has Sonos promised anything of this sort which would lead you to ask for a progress report (which Sonos never gives, by the way)? 

Userlevel 1

An update does not require a promise, nor any progress. 

An update does not require a promise, nor any progress. 

It doesn’t?  

Can someone at Sonos update us as to where they are at on adding Siri support to Sonos

Could’ve fooled me. 

Badge

With iOS 15 and HomePod OS 15 launching tomorrow and this feature becoming available, is there any update from Sonos?

Userlevel 2
Badge

This Verge article agrees with you.  “The voice assistant will be routed through a HomePod if the devices are connected to your network.”

That makes me think it won’t be the best fit for Sonos ‘integration’, as it’s not really an integration at all.  All you’re doing is setting up devices as satellite microphones/speakers for a Homepod.  You need to have at least one homepod obviously.  Not sure how that would work for music playback.   It could presumably be a better design overall, in that your satellite devices might not need to be upgraded when new features arrive.  That would all just happen on your homepod?

Agreed, seeing a bit of a conflict for SONOS to encourage people to buy another companies speaker - that’s why I’m hoping the Apple TV’s will eventually gain that ability, specs should be equal or better and it is running the same(ish) operating system - so hope dies last I guess? ;)

Regarding the design: From my understanding the other “integrations” do the same, but instead of being Satellit mic/speakers for the voice commands and responses and sending them to a local device that has the compute and “smarts”, the data is sent to Amazon/google servers for processing (I might be getting this last part wrong…). 

Badge

It requires Sonos to support it though, the HomePod/Homekit Hub is just the device that will be used to route the commands once Sonos supports it.

At WWDC’21 Apple announced opening up Siri to third party hardware, are there plans to integrate this and make it an option for voice assistant just like Alexa and Google Assistant?

I really hope Sonos is able to suck it up and integrate Siri through HomePod. It’s very likely that if you want Siri you already have a HomePod in your house. Just click and drag the code over and allow Siri to work. 
I’d rather have on device processing take care of the requests I make instead of sending it online or to an untrusted server somewhere. 
I honestly expected the best apple speaker platform to accept and integrate better. 

Hi @User673319,

We don’t have anything to announce at the moment regarding native support for Siri on Sonos, but I’ll be sure to pass your request on to our development team for consideration. It might also be worth letting Apple know that you’d like to see Siri on Sonos products, since it’s ultimately their decision as to where their service is available. :slight_smile:

Just make it happen. I already have an apple speaker so you aren’t losing a sale. I’m getting frustrated with Sonos being stubborn

today I read that the first 3rd party devices supports the “hey siri” feature. @SONOS: any updates?

It’s very often the case that Sonos do not announce their development roadmap. It would probably be far more of an issue for complaint if Sonos announced that they intended to deliver Siri on Sonos and then discovered they could not make it work on their hardware, or Apple decided they were suddenly going to delay the Siri rollout on 3rd-Party devices, like Sonos, due to impact on the Apple servers etc. (just as examples).

So I can see why no information would ‘likely’ be forthcoming from either company until the service had at least been fully implemented/tested and was ready to roll-out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sf_1992 

I’m afraid not - I’ve nothing to share at present.

Agreed, seeing a bit of a conflict for SONOS to encourage people to buy another companies speaker - that’s why I’m hoping the Apple TV’s will eventually gain that ability, specs should be equal or better and it is running the same(ish) operating system - so hope dies last I guess? ;)

Does Apple TV already have Siri functionality?  If so, I think that’s possible.  If not, then I’m not sure Apple will have the profit motive to let you use Sonos or other speaker/mics for Siri without having to buy a homepod.

Regarding the design: From my understanding the other “integrations” do the same, but instead of being Satellit mic/speakers for the voice commands and responses and sending them to a local device that has the compute and “smarts”, the data is sent to Amazon/google servers for processing (I might be getting this last part wrong…). 

For the most part, every voice enabled speaker would just send the voice to a cloud server for processing, so yes, that’s correct.  Even homepods, really Siri in general, followed this process.  Siri would not work with an internet connection.  It looks like that trend is changing and some commands are now processed locally...which I find a little surprising personally.  This is clearly faster and better for the user, but I thought Amazon/Google/Apple liked collecting all that data in the cloud.  I would guess they are still getting data on your usage, just not right away.