HomePod and a future Play:5

• 13 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hey folks. I have two HomePods and am looking to get a vinyl turntable soon. Of course there are no line ins on these speakers but I do like the sound quality. My question is, if I were to get a Play:5 and use the line in with the turntable, could I then stream this to the HomePods or just to other sonos speakers? I figure that any signal being pushed out via airplay 2 needs to be coming from an Apple device, most logically a HomePod. This wouldn’t be an issue if the HomePods showed in the sonos app for me to route the line in signal to, but from what I understand these HomePods don’t show in the app.

Further from this, does anyone have a multiroom vinyl solution that doesn’t involve a Mac or iOS device taking in a line in signal and pushing this out with airplay?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos is of course my primary option hence my being here. But without the ability to cast to a HomePod the sonosnwoupd be replacing a HomePod and not joining it, which I would have liked to avoid

Thanks for confirming the prior

I think your best option would be to look for an Apple solution that can take input from your turntable and cast it with airplay. I don't know that their is such a device, but Apple products are currently the only thing then can cast, or initiate an airplay signal, and given Apple's hsitory, that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.
Sonos is of course my primary option hence my being here. But without the ability to cast to a HomePod the sonosnwoupd be replacing a HomePod and not joining it, which I would have liked to avoid

Thanks for confirming the prior
if I were to get a Play:5 and use the line in with the turntable, could I then stream this to the HomePods or just to other sonos speakers?
Just to other Sonos speakers.

Further from this, does anyone have a multiroom vinyl solution that doesn’t involve a Mac or iOS device taking in a line in signal and pushing this out with airplay?Well, Sonos. So I wonder if you mean something different from what I think you mean with this question.