Google Assistant is finally coming to the Sonos One and Sonos Beam

• 8 January 2019
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Until they start attaching DATES to these carrots, this is just old news. Of course they had to say it's coming due to the press pressure, as this Google integration has been the longest running joke in the industry. But, to qualify that by not adding dates, and then further saying they are only expanding the Beta pretty much means the masses very well might not see this for many more months. I frankly don't believe anything from these guys until I see it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I'm not really seeing any new information here that we didn't already know. I think the only reason this is bubbling back up again is because Google said something about it at CES. Still lots of unanswered questions in terms of functionality.

Can we use other Google Assistance devices (minis, google assistant display devices, google assistant on phone, etc) to control Sonos or does it have to be one of the Sonos units?

What features will be available?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Pretty simple answer, Sonos. OF COURSE both Alexa and Google Assistant should operate simultaneously. This will provide the full range of streaming sources via voice control.
Unless that causes even more delays. If so pick one at setup suits me fine.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
This article suggests google are not keen on having multiple assisstants available:

"Sonos integration was supposed to be last year, and though Bronstein didn’t specifically explain the delay, he did present the problem in an interesting context. “Whether a device will have a switchable assistant or not is something that the entire ecosystem is defining right now,” he says. I think the key word there is “switchable.” Where Amazon is happy to let multiple assistants stay active on a single device, Google apparently wants them to be “switchable.”

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/8/18172082/google-assistant-connect-vs-alexa-interpreter-mode-maps-features-devices-ces-2019
Pretty simple answer, Sonos. OF COURSE both Alexa and Google Assistant should operate simultaneously. This will provide the full range of streaming sources via voice control.
The beta will soon expand to thousands more homes in order to help Sonos stress test the feature which will, eventually, benefit the final release, although many of the final settings still aren't finalised.

"Part of the beta is understanding what people want," explained Sonos to Pocket-lint when it demoed the new tech behind a closed-door meeting. That means the company hasn't yet worked out whether users will be able to use both Alexa and Google Assistant at the same time or whether they will have to pick one at setup, but should mean that the integration will have a lot more features than the Alexa launch.

It is expected a full public launch will still occur later this year although Sonos couldn't confirm when that would be exactly.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/sonos/146199-get-google-assistant-on-sonos-one-if-you-agree-to-some-extraordinary-rules
Listening to music and podcasts is one of the most popular ways people use the Google Assistant, so we’re bringing the Assistant to the Sonos One and Sonos Beam (earlier speaker models will be updated to work with the Assistant). With the Assistant built in, you’ll be able to control your favorite music, podcasts and radio stations from all over your home without ever picking up your phone.

https://www.blog.google/products/assistant/hey-google-whats-new-assistant-ces-year/