Controlling Sonos using Rako Controls Cloud Gateway

• 19 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Thought I'd start a conversation to help other Rako users and the Sonos community to dismistify the setup.

To control Sonos speakers from a Rako Controls keypad, you'll need a Rako Bridge and Rako Cloud Gateway (includes an Audio Control Module license) which combined discover and communicate locally to the Sonos speakers. You then need to register your Cloud Gateway at my.rakocontrols.com. Once the Cloud Gateway is configured, you can create a MyRako Sonos activity containing input mappings to control Sonos favourites, setting volume, changing tracks, etc.

To give you a scenario for this, I've converted my garage to a gym. In the garage I have a Play 3 and Rako keypad to control the lighting. I got fed up with having to use my phone's Sonos or Spotify app to control the music. So I mapped the garage keypad so that when "1" (scene 1) is pressed the lights come on AND a Sonos favourite is selected on the Play 3. When "Off" is pressed, the lighting goes off and the Play 3 is paused. See attached screenshot for MyRako Sonos activity mapping.

Now this is in place, I can control my patio speakers (Sonos Connect:AMP) using a keypad. Makes it user friendly when we have guests around (and non-geeky members of the family), especially when the volume needs to be quickly lowered - No need to grab a phone!

I know this isn't the cheapest way to control Sonos, but if you've invested in a Rako Controls lighting/blinds system, you may find it worth the extra money to get the Cloud Gateway as Rako can also be controlled using Alexa, Google Home, HomeKit and coming soon IFTTT.

Note: One gotcha I discovered, MyRako was intermittently unable to find any Sonos speakers. After lots of head scratching, I discovered that the cause was my Netgear ProSAFE switch. My Sonos bridge is connected to the switch along with the Rako Cloud Gateway. Enabling "IGMP Snooping Static Router Port" to "Any" on the Netgear fixed the discovery issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Heath_3. Thanks for the great write-up. Sounds like quite the setup you have. I'm sure this will benefit others on the community. Would you mind if I share this internally? In the meantime, please do let us know if you need anything.
Hi Edward,

Sorry, just seen your post. Of course you can share.

I'm in the process of extending my Rako/Sonos integration to include newly renovated bathroom. The bathroom will include either a Sonos ONE (ceiling mounted in a corner) or Sonos Connect:AMP with ceiling mounted flush speaker.

The Sonos will be controlled by a Rako wireless 10-key plate which can safely be fitted in the bathroom next to the door. I'll also be using a Rako PIR and wireless module for the LED downlighters.

Rako also offer a plate designer, this is what I've come up with so far but in white (see attached).

Regards,
Heath