Add Chromecast built-in Integration

• 26 December 2021
  • 95 replies

Show first post

95 replies

Badge

I've seen this conversation come up again and again. Unfortunately, I think this forum often misses the point:

Sonos does not want to sell you speakers. They want to sell you an ecosystem. Hell, they're even moving towards expanding that ecosystem into a full media OS in the near future. They are committed to this focus. For those disappointed in this focus, you will continue to be disappointed with Sonos. Do not invest in Sonos hoping this will change. It won't.

Why? Why does Sonos allow Airplay and not Chromecast (and yes it is Sonos making this decision)?

Simple. Apple only sells expensive hardware. There is no chance of wireless Apple speakers undercutting Sonos.

Chromecast, alternatively, is available in nearly every upcoming active speaker nowadays. Speakers with better sound than Sonos have Chromecast at exorbitant prices, which is fine. Chromecast, however, is also available in very affordable speakers that severely undercut Sonos. This provides a wireless multi-room solution to the consumer at a far lower price of entry than Sonos.

This latter situation is untenable for Sonos. They used to be the only game in town for wireless multi-room. Now that the space is crowded, they have to compete. Sonos has a diverse lineup and a fantastic sound. They can easily compete in the high end. On the low, however, they simply can't. More importantly they never will as they are a relatively small company, and some of these cheap Chromecast speakers are loss leaders for billion dollar companies.

So how does Sonos respond? They wall off their garden. They leverage their first mover advantage. They provide incentives for competitors to stay out of the low end of the market, which provides Sonos' original/strongest incentive (multi-room) at a fraction of the price. Maybe they focus their early legal battles against the companies bleeding these low end customers, customers that a decade ago would have been forced to break out their checkbook and invest in Sonos.

If you're comfortable in the Sonos ecosystem, you're lucky. They make a great product.

If you're not, or are more optimistic about Google Home than Sonos long-term, buy anything else.

Sonos doesn't sell speakers..

If they did, I'd buy more of them.

Badge

I've had Sonos for quite a few years now, I started with Sonos connect connected to a good HIFI system. Then I bought the One 2nd generation, and I was happy with it, but I always missed the compatibility with Chromecast, in my modest opinion the most comfortable way of streaming (it even supports high resolution 24/96). I was tired of not being able to launch a podcast (which doesn't appear in the Sonos app) from my mobile phone, for example, from the google podcast app.
So, seeing that Sonos doesn't seem to be interested in Chromecast, I bought a Bose smart speaker 500 which now has Chromecast compatibility (I still have it on trial at Amazon). Fantastic, being able to cast if I want to from almost any Android app.
Sono is anyone there?

I would encourage you to review the myriad of legal actions between these two companies, and reflect on what possible impact that might have on their relationship. 

@John B

I think you are coming at this from the perspective of someone whose mindset is ‘single device sending audio to single speaker’.  Sonos is fundamentally designed to be multiroom, multi-source and multi controller, with an app that is a remote control for the system, not a music player.  It was not designed for all-audio casting.

Actually you miss my point. I am strongly preferring to buy a product that can work as a unified system. Otherwise I wouldn’t be looking at Sonos. But I need less advanced users (like my wife) to be able to do what is natural for her within that framework. Even if I can convince her to change her natural workflow, I certainly can’t expect guests to do so.  Casting is a great way of having people casually interact with your system. I stayed with some friends last year who had Sonos, and experienced this exact situation from the other end. As a guest, how do I play my own content on their Sonos system?

I think it is rather paranoid and illogical of you to be talking of Sonos being “antagonistic to Android users’, but you are entitled to your opinion, and to your different priorities.

Edit: just as a historical note, the first native app that could be used with Sonos was Google Play Music, until Google scrapped it in favour of YTM.  But you could only use it on Android devices, not iOS.

It’s 2022. Adopting a platform that isn’t moving forward is even worse than individual devices that don’t work as a system.  Bottom line, “casting” is a ubiquitous way for people to casually send AV content to media systems. There aren’t any media oriented TVs or receivers sold today that don’t provide this. It’s essential functionality. Supporting Airplay but not supporting Chromecast is clearly preferential to Apple users. Even more so, as I think Chromecast is a more “successful” implementation (as in more regularly used by the platform’s users) . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure why you would absolutely need Chromecast when Spotify has Spotify Connect and other streaming services have comparable ways of streaming to Sonos. Even I, an Apple user, mostly stream music using the Sonos app.

Sonos have removed every audio input possible without eliminating their use for television.

Not exactly. Line-In is available on Port, Amp, Five, and all their antecedents. The system can be used to distribute sources of any flavour, including a Chromecast Audio.

Plus of course any content can be streamed from an iDevice over AirPlay. 

Do you actually possess any Sonos gear?

I own a fair bit actually. Including more than one of the products you listed. 

These are older products, however, and I think it's fair to say their successors will not have any such feature.

Port, Amp and Five are not older products, they are the current lineup of Sonos products.  And there is absolutely zero reason to think that Sonos plans to no longer sell any products with aux input capability.  if that were the plan, they would stop producing the Port, since that’s practically it’s primary reason to exist.  It would also have been rather easy to remove the line in on the Five.  Then of course, it would make no sense to allow the Roam to bring in bluetooth input into the system. And stop selling turntables that use the aux input.  Beyond the products themselves though, the ability to play have an analog source, and share the audio with other speakers in the system,  is a strategic advantage for Sonos, since not every multiroom system can do that.

And that's fine. Having line-in present on only a portion of the product line does not allow for a full solution to use Sonos speakers within another ecosystem anyway. Half measures and work arounds.

The aux input was never designed as a way to integrate with other wireless audio systems.

Why would a person who has decided Sonos is not for everybody be posting long drama laden missives on a Sonos site lamenting the fact that Sonos is not for everybody?

Why would a person say X, when they have already decided X? Sounds consistent to me..

No drama though. I am not the OP. (Would you consider your dismissal of OP's issues to be speaking for him?) I'm simply weighing in on a post I have seen CONSTANTLY posted for years now.

I think the community's usual response is lacking, as I already explained (I understand it was too long for you).

We shouldn't be telling people they can do all the same things without Chromecast, or Bluetooth, or WISA, or Audio Pro, or Q-Symphony, or any other protocol. There are some things that cannot be done. Whether they matter to you or not is not the issue. They may matter to others, and they deserve the information to make that decision for themselves.

The reason people ask what features they want to use Chromecast, and anything else, for is because people often assume that Sonos can’t meet that feature some other way.   For example, a person may not understand that Sonos can stream audio directly, not through your phone or tablet like bluetooth, which is why bluetooth is only on the portable products.  OP stated that he wanted to be able to control his speakers through Google Home, which you can do with Sonos without having Chromecast.  The point isn’t to tell customers what should matter to them, but to provide information so they can make an informed decision.

These features are also, as I have already made clear, not coming. So telling people to hold on or having representatives inform people they've forwarded their idea to the team in any hopeful capacity is absurd, as if they had never before thought of adding Chromecast. It's nothing more than a strategy to get people to invest in the Sonos ecosystem and keep them there.

Except that the same sentiment was given for Sonos ever getting DTS, or bluetooth, both features that have actually happened.  That doesn’t mean that chromecast will definitely come to Sonos, but it means it’s not impossible.  There certainly isn’t anything wrong with Sonos staff saying that the request is noted.  If people want to falsely believe that acknowledging the request is the same thing as affirming that it will happen, that’s not Sonos fault. 

Now I'm really going to blow your mind:

I'm not a big Chromecast guy.

Not at all surprising actually.

But if it's important to you, if you want to control multi-room speakers from Google Home or a hub, don't buy Sonos.

This is not true.  You can control Sonos speakers through Google...or Amazon Alexa, or Airplay, and many other smart home hubs.  What you can’t do is have your Sonos speakers play in sync with other smart speakers.

They aren't speakers to supplement your ecosystem. They're a competing ecosystem. A closed-wall garden around multi-room in an era increasingly aware of wireless functionality.

But if that's you, don't worry either. Google could buy Sonos a thousand times over if they ever feel the need. There will be plenty of very capable Chromecast speakers going forward.

If Sonos wanted to sell, they would have done that already.  I don’t think Sonos will be looking to do that anytime soon, at least while they seem to be on an upward trend. 

As I said before, basically every active speaker at this point, outside of Sonos, will have Chromecast (usually alongside multiple other protocols).

Apple and Amazon speakers will not.  Since Amazon has a huge marketshare, it’s hard to conclude that basically every active speaker has chromecast.  But people don’t expect Echos or Homepods to have chromecast as they recognize them as competitors to Google, rather than subordinate companies paying licensing fees so they can play in Google playground.

Sonos has the first-mover advantage and a comprehensive line. They're trying their best to leverage this as long as they can.

If the Sonos ecosystem works for you, you won't be disappointed in the sound.

If not, like in the case of OP, look elsewhere..

This is basically true.  My only point to add is that if you like what Sonos seems to offer, than it’s worth while to consider all the features it offers, if you really need chromecast, bluetooth, etc since Sonos has other ways of providing these features.  It’s not about telling people what they should want, but giving them the information to make an informed decision.

Maybe I should have done more research. I bought a sonos one because it said it had Google assistant support (which it does). Naively, it appears, I expected that to include Google cast support. I feel slightly misled. I don't need a debate about Sonos's or Google's strategy As a user I just want the new speaker to integrate seamlessly into my system. Sonos doesn't which is disappointing and will definitely stop me from buying more sonos equipment and from recommending sonos to people.

Completely understand if Sonos don’t have the features you’re looking for, and don’t want to recommend to others.  However, be sure to tell people what features you needed for your particular situation, so that those people accurately determine whether Sonos will or will not meet their needs.  As has been pointed out, there are a lot of people who have no need chromecast.  Telling people Sonos isn’t good because it doesn’t have a feature they have no interest in isn’t exactly doing them any favors.

Just chiming in that lack of Chromecast support is the largest detractor for diving headfirst into Sonos. 

As simple as Airplay is on IOS, Chromecast is the same for Android. I like others am not looking for alternatives to Google Podcasts/Headspace etc. We want to be able to use the apps we enjoy with very native functionality within the OS.  

Casting is not some obscure technology and Sonos is not a niche product. If the beef between Google and Sonos is really that petty, then that's stupid for both of them as adding Chromecast capability would just draw more customers. 

Anyone that thinks Google doesn't want the competition is kidding themselves. Google (unlike Apple) does not constrain access the same way (this is why there are so many cast supported devices),and obviously with brands like Samsung, Sony etc they don't mind competition with their Pixel devices either.

On the Sonos side, people choose them for audio quality and seamless multiroom experience, enabling cast support doesn't change that. 

I imagine they are being downloaded to the ‘wrong’ location for Sonos to find them - but unscrambling that is possibly more trouble than it’s worth.

As I am a Sonos fan and don’t like Bose, I think my solution would have been to buy a Roam and use Bluetooth, grouping to the Sonos One.  It would have been cheaper and avoided Bose and given me two compatible speakers, one of which is truly portable.  But each to their own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Assumption is the mother of all f%&@ ups….

Sonos … INVENTED wireless multiroom audio.

Slim Devices / Logitech probably won’t agree.

Stumbled upon this Chrome browser extension which makes it very easy to cast from any website (YooToob, for example) to your Sonos endpoints.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cast-to-sonos/defbpbmenfaikcnhmamnghdlcmahjaib

Badge

I imagine they are being downloaded to the ‘wrong’ location for Sonos to find them - but unscrambling that is possibly more trouble than it’s worth.

As I am a Sonos fan and don’t like Bose, I think my solution would have been to buy a Roam and use Bluetooth, grouping to the Sonos One.  It would have been cheaper and avoided Bose and given me two compatible speakers, one of which is truly portable.  But each to their own.

Thanks for your time John, but I think Sonos don't take into account Android users, everything is easier if you have an iphone/ipad. I understand they had a dispute with google some time ago and they don't want to get close. But in the end this issue is suffered by Sonos customers with android. I never thought that in 2022 we would still be without support for Chromecast.... It's a pity because we are forced to leave....

Badge

I find the claim that 'everything is easier if you have an iPad/iPhonr’ rather bizarre. The Sonos apps for iOS and Android are virtually identical in design and functionality. No Trueplay on Android, no On This Mobile Device on iOS.

Playing from native apps like Spotify is OS-independent.

For those of us who don't need Chromecast and wouldn't use Airplay there is virtually nothing that is easier on an iPhone than on am Android phone. 

When I said everything was easier, I meant that using the speaker-related apps is easier, (you don't have to sign up for any service or use the sonos app), not that all Sonos features are easier with iOS(they’re almost the same, not to mention TRUEPLAY).
I generally prefer the original apps: Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal; than going into sonos and playing the music from the corresponding service. And this is easier with airplay2 (it would be with Chromecast too).

I use Amazon, Pandora, Sirius XM, and Sonos Radio.  I don’t do it often, but I have casted from the Amazon or Pandora apps to Sonos speaker.  Even with airplay, I would probably use this method, as I don’t want to rely on the audio streaming through my phone to the speakers, I want the audio going directly to them.  For the most part, I use voice control, especially now that Sonos Radio is covered by Sonos voice.

The best one for me is Chromecast.  It has the ease of use of airplay and the speaker is the one that does all the work, the mobile acts as the controller. The sonos application solves the problem of not having it with various music/podcasts/radio platforms, but not with all of them, for example with google podcast or a very famous podcast app in Spanish called ivoox. My sonos speaker doesn't work with those two apps. After years I have given up hope. I admit I was a fan of sonos, but having a relatively expensive speaker that can't play my favourite podcasts is a pain.

Sonos is never going to support Chromecast, but here's another 500 words on why it should.  🙄

I never argued that Sonos should support Chromecast actually. 

My first, and only, real point is why I very much doubt they ever intend to support Chromecast short of a buyout:

Well, and stating that Sonos was going to remove all aux inputs (they are not), forum users shouldn’t tell people what they should want (no one was), and Sonos staff shouldn’t acknowledge requested features. Those don’t count as ‘real points’?

Again, for those lost in the weeds, low budget Chromecast speakers severely undercut Sonos. This allows customers that would otherwise be willing to invest in Sonos to get the multi-room solution they want without paying for a premium product. This, once upon a time, was Sonos' bread and butter. Nowadays, these relatively affordable options are a direct threat.

I don’t think anyone’s really lost in weeds.  It’s not a difficult concept.

This is why you see Sonos play nice with some ecosystems and not others. They are attempting to leverage their first-mover advantage to prevent other companies from flooding the market with low-cost multi-room solutions.

The market is already flooded with low cost multiroom options. There certainly is logic that Sonos would intentionally block integration with competitors, but stating that airplay is allowed because Apple doesn’t make cheap speakers...doesn’t seem like it tells the whole story.  I mean, it’s not like Sonos isn’t competing with other premium speakers that are airplay compatible.  Why not block those out too?

There is also the fact that Google did not want to allow Sonos to use GA in Sonos speakers.  They agreed after a while, but still will not allow Sonos to have GA and any other voice assistant on the same speaker.  It’s not like Google is all about integration with other companies.

I’m not saying your wrong, just that there is likely more to it than what we see on the surface.  I really don’t well ever see the full story.

Sonos competes well in the hifi market. They simply can't compete with low-budget loss leaders.

Google went all in on these low-cost, multi-room speakers. Sonos doesn't like that. 

Sonos has stated they don’t like that Big Tech companies sell their products at a lose, using revenue from other markets, creating an unfair advantage.  They also don’t like companies stealing thier tech.  I don’t think they mind companies selling cheaper speakers as long as it’s a fair market.

No Chromecast. Focused legal resources against Google. Competing voice AI and media ecosystem incoming.

I don’t think voice assistant  and whatever they are doing with home theatre really has much to do with chromecast.

Cause and effect. 

The response following yours is very fair. But if you want to use Google Home/Chromecast, for whatever reason, don't buy Sonos.

Google picked the fight when they launched their Nest speakers. Sonos doubled-down with their lawsuit.

That’s inaccurate.  Amazon change the market when they came out with the echo lineup.  Google simply followed suit.  Sonos is suing Google because they stole their IP.  It’s not really different than when they sued Denon or Blusound.   

Until Google decides it will cost less long-term to own Sonos, this corporate squabble will continue.

Sonos has to agree to sell.  Google can’t just decide they want Sonos and take it.  Google will likely have to pay licensing fees, than Sonos will be able to get Amazon to settle out of court (my non-expert opinion).  With, a lot of the IPs expiring in the next few years, Google (or anyone else) doesn’t really need to buy Sonos for the tech.  They could make their own, or buy another audio company if they want name recognition.  Really, if Sonos was going to be bought out, it would have happened years ago.

Stumbled upon this Chrome browser extension which makes it very easy to cast from any website (YooToob, for example) to your Sonos endpoints.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cast-to-sonos/defbpbmenfaikcnhmamnghdlcmahjaib

Nice find! AirMusic seems decent as an Android app too, but ultimately just wish it all was native. 

Badge +2

Let's just stop pretending like Bluetooth and Chromecast support is just around the corner…

Little Sonos Roam adds Bluetooth, isn´t it. Once you have one entry, you are in the Sonos environment. Move too.

Badge

Let's just stop pretending like Bluetooth and Chromecast support is just around the corner…

Little Sonos Roam adds Bluetooth, isn´t it. Once you have one entry, you are in the Sonos environment. Move too.

Indeed. It does seem that the poster is a little out of touch. Comments to the effect that Port (2019), Amp (2019) and Five (2020) are “older products” and that successors will not offer Aux/Line-In do rather strain credibility.

I was clear aux inputs being available on only a subset of the line places clear limits on it's usability within other ecosystems. Again, workarounds and half measures.

Surely, you acknowledge there is no technical reason such inputs could not be included in a number of other products in the line if they were a priority?

It's a mute point, however, because dongles are increasingly unavailable for any ecosystem. Sonos is not unique in it's efforts to close off their product line (Chromecast audio discontinued for example).

As for Bluetooth, these are products designed for travel and outdoor use. It's a completely different product category. And not one that utilizes any sort of Bluetooth connectivity between speakers like many other ecosystems do, alongside both Airplay and Chromecast I might add.

But you guys know all this. And yet you all consistently go out of your way to obfuscate missing features and devalue the wants and needs of those that come to this forum to voice their opinions. 

Ironically, in your desire to defend Sonos, these comments are likely costing them customers in the long-term.

It's all very sunk-cost, and I don't think it's a good look. But that's fine. We don't have to agree.

Personally, I always try to buy into the most open ecosystem. That used to be Sonos. I sincerely hope they regain that title in the future.

In the meantime, we're all customers; let's try not to give companies an excuse not to live up to their potential.

I was clear aux inputs being available on only a subset of the line places clear limits on it's usability within other ecosystems.

Personally, I always try to buy into the most open ecosystem. That used to be Sonos. I sincerely hope they regain that title in the future.

I have plenty of Sonos line in jacks in my set up, but I still wish that my Play 1 units had them too; it would have moved a very good product to great category in my book. But it isn't enough these days to offer these - Echo Show devices no longer offer the necessary audio out jacks to allow them to play on Sonos kit. Google speakers have never offered them.

Why do you say that Sonos used to be the most open? It has always been a closed system except where line in jacks allowed wired analog signals to be used and nothing has changed in that respect.

Indeed. It does seem that the poster is a little out of touch. Comments to the effect that Port (2019), Amp (2019) and Five (2020) are “older products” and that successors will not offer Aux/Line-In do rather strain credibility.

I was clear aux inputs being available on only a subset of the line places clear limits on it's usability within other ecosystems. Again, workarounds and half measures.

You stated “These are older products, however, and I think it's fair to say their successors will not have any such feature.”

People pointed out that you were incorrect and call out your credibility.  And you respond by saying they limit the usability within other ecosystems?   That does not restore your credibility.  

Surely, you acknowledge there is no technical reason such inputs could not be included in a number of other products in the line if they were a priority?

I don’t think anyone claimed they were a priority, just that they exist and are not going away.  But of course there is no technical reason why not every Sonos device doesn’t have an aux input.

It's a mute point, however, because dongles are increasingly unavailable for any ecosystem. Sonos is not unique in it's efforts to close off their product line (Chromecast audio discontinued for example).

As for Bluetooth, these are products designed for travel and outdoor use. It's a completely different product category. And not one that utilizes any sort of Bluetooth connectivity between speakers like many other ecosystems do, alongside both Airplay and Chromecast I might add.

We shouldn't be telling people they can do all the same things without Chromecast, or Bluetooth, or WISA, or Audio Pro, or Q-Symphony, or any other protocol.”

But it’s ok to tell people what bluetooth should be used for?  Yes, I am stretching this a bit, but the point is that asking people what features they are looking for and providing solutions for the feature within the existing boundaries of a system is not telling people what they should want.

But you guys know all this. And yet you all consistently go out of your way to obfuscate missing features and devalue the wants and needs of those that come to this forum to voice their opinions. 

Ironically, in your desire to defend Sonos, these comments are likely costing them customers in the long-term.

How, does providing information they may not previously be aware of, turning away customers?  Sure, some customers come in upset about a feature they want and leave still upset, but plenty are happy to have a better understanding of the system.  I’ve never seen anyone come in content and leave upset because they were offered alternative solutions to the feature they wanted.

In the meantime, we're all customers; let's try not to give companies an excuse not to live up to their potential.

“I never argued that Sonos should support Chromecast actually. “

But now you are saying that Sonos should support Chromecast apparently.  If that’s not what you’re saying, I have no idea what sort of potential you believe Sonos isn’t living up to.  

As an android user, I’ve never felt like I was suffering or that I’ve been forced to leave.    But like others, chromecast has never been a feature I’ve been that interested in.  

I agree with you that chromecast is not advertised as a feature and was never promised, but a lot of kit these days includes it as standard. My last (reasonably priced) AV receiver includes it as standard, along with Airplay and Bluetooth. So I suspect that people buying more expensive kit have an expectation that it will be, or become, flexible. I have Play 5s and CCA devices, so it’s not a huge issue for me, but I can understand that it may be for some people.

I feel more let down as an android user by the lack of Trueplay, as when I had it working it did significantly improve the sound quality. Unfortunately the hardware had to be repaired, and I lost the settings.

I would like to express my admiration for those with the patience and stamina to continue to debate with @Tim23 .

It has nothing to do with patience.  I was bored.

As an android user, I’ve never felt like I was suffering or that I’ve been forced to leave.    But like others, chromecast has never been a feature I’ve been that interested in.  

I agree with you that chromecast is not advertised as a feature and was never promised, but a lot of kit these days includes it as standard. My last (reasonably priced) AV receiver includes it as standard, along with Airplay and Bluetooth. So I suspect that people buying more expensive kit have an expectation that it will be, or become, flexible. I have Play 5s and CCA devices, so it’s not a huge issue for me, but I can understand that it may be for some people.

I would agree that Sonos has a long history of not adding features just because the competition has it or because people are going to assume it has it.  I can understand why people make the assumptions.

I feel more let down as an android user by the lack of Trueplay, as when I had it working it did significantly improve the sound quality. Unfortunately the hardware had to be repaired, and I lost the settings.

I have iOS users in my household, so it hasn’t been a huge problem for me personally.  I would be happy to buy a reasonably priced mic device to trueplay tuning if it were available.  Also would like to see an autotrueplay option for the non-portable speakers.  I get that it may not be as good as trueplay tuning through an iphone, but it would be an improvement.

Like I said - Sonos is never going to support Chromecast, but here's another 500 words on why it should.

The WiiM Pro is now selling on Amazon US, $149.  It’s direct competition for the Sonos Port, includes Chromecast, AirPlay 2, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Alexa, Siri and Google voice control, all the major streaming providers, and a nicer app than that of Sonos, IMO.  Multiroom via AirPlay 2, Alexacast, Google and their own proprietary multiroom protocol.

They have plans to integrate the Squeeze protocol and Roon, as well.  All of these features make it the first truly viable Sonos competitor, IMO, not to mention that their tech is being used by MANY other manufacturers.

Is there anyway to link the WiiM Pro to your existing Sonos setup? I want a way to chromecast audio to nest speakers and sonos speakers simultaneously.