Answered

Sonosnet + Ethernet = ???

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi all,

Long time user, occasional poster. I'm toying with the idea of installing some Sonos speakers in the bar/workshop area at the bottom of my garden (roughly 15m from my house, and it seems heavily resistant to any wireless signals).

I currently have a relatively large Sonos set-up IN the house running on Sonosnet with a boost plugged into my router. I have tried just putting a speaker in the bar and hoping for the best, but alas, it is a no go.

My question is....if I were to run an ethernet cable from my router in the house to a network switch in the bar, then subsequently hardwire those speakers, would it work?? I get there's STP implications so the switch would need to support that, but beyond that is what I suggest feasible? I've done some searching on here, but nothing seems to answer my question specifically.

Thanks in advance, all!!

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 21 June 2022, 17:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Unless you individually switch a SONOS radio OFF, it will be active with or without an Ethernet connection. If the radios automatically switch OFF when an Ethernet connection is established, there would be no SonosNet wireless mesh and all of the units would need to be wired or you would need to use WiFi. Attempting to have some units use SonosNet and some units use WiFi does not usually work well. (except for ROAM and MOVE that use WiFi exclusively)

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Unless you individually switch a SONOS radio OFF, it will be active with or without an Ethernet connection. If the radios automatically switch OFF when an Ethernet connection is established, there would be no SonosNet wireless mesh and all of the units would need to be wired or you would need to use WiFi. Attempting to have some units use SonosNet and some units use WiFi does not usually work well. (except for ROAM and MOVE that use WiFi exclusively)

Thankyou very much, you have confirmed exactly what I thought I already knew. I think that’s everything that’s rattling round in my head at the minute.

Many thanks, one and all 👍🏻