Answered

wireless range extender

• 16 December 2023
  • 2 replies

I am getting this error message…….

Wireless range extender Some Sonos products are using the WiFi from a range extender device. If you include one of these in a room group, you won't be able to play music in that group. To ensure playback in all grouped rooms, you'll need to permanently wire a Sonos product to your router.

The SONOS One’s and Roam’s I have cannot be wired.

Please help, I’m losing my patience having constant issues with a system I’ve spent over 2K on 😪

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 December 2023, 15:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Wireless range extenders are mentioned as not being supported in the Sonos system requirements. See here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

But try this…

Set the WiFi SSID/Credentials to the same as the router and set the adapters to use the same channel and channel-width. Ideally use non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the 2.4Ghz band channel-width to 20Mhz only on all access points and see if that ‘may’ work for you.

(Edit: or as @buzz suggests you could try running all on SonosNet.)

SONOS requires more a robust network than simple web browsing, email, or video viewing on a phone/pad/computer/TV.

If you give us model numbers for your network components, we may be able to suggest a network improvement. Overall, “range extenders” are a bad idea for modern networks. 

A quick workaround for your SONOS components is to wire a SONOS BOOST to your router. BOOST’s are available inexpensively on the used market. Don’t purchase a BRIDGE because these are much older, often nonfunctional, obsolete technology. Note that BOOST will be effective for your current units, but will not handle the newest SONOS units.