Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Roams are Dead

• 7 August 2023
  • 7 replies

I have 2 Sonos Roams with charging docs. I used them a lot over the last 2 years but they have been in the cupboard for about 6 months as I went for a smaller setup and didn’t use them that much anymore.

I since got them out and now can’t get them to charge or turn on. The red LED does not come on when I plug them in. They are both completely dead.

What are my options here?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It sounds like you may have drained the lithium-ion batteries to the state where they are unable to recharge themselves using the Qi pad. I would first try recovery using a 3 Amp x 5 Volt (15 Watt) ‘PD-certified’ power-output supply, together with a USB-C cable instead - leave them on charge for about 4 hours, or maybe overnight and see if the batteries recover and kick back into life.

These type of batteries ideally need to be topped up regularly and not allowed to drain fully, which I suspect is what has perhaps happened in this instance.

Hope you get them going.🤞

Thanks for the reply. Although that sounds like I have to buy more gear to get them going? That wasn’t in the manual haha.

If you have an official Sonos Qi charger, which is a PD certified 2.1 Amp x 5 Volt (10.5 Watts) charger power-supply, you can just try that instead, but remove the Qi pad USB connection and use the USB-C cable that came with your Roam and charge the Roam for longer (overnight) and see if that gets it/them going for you.

Your attachment didn’t come through, @Ken_Griffiths 

Your attachment didn’t come through, @Ken_Griffiths 

Should be there now, hopefully.🤞

It’s odd, as I only ever have trouble with this forum, other forums work fine. It seems to occur if I go back and edit some text in the post afterwards, the attachment strangely disappears for others, but it still shows as attached on my iPad. 🤷‍♂️I have to remember that if I edit the text, then I need to also remove the attachment and add it back again. 

Heh…one of the minor reasons I’ve never put much effort into attachments. 

You can buy after market battery and try to replace the battery. You can gently pry off top and end caps and then the grill and work from there. Sonos batteries are under the mother board and is glued to the battery holder. I do not like the fact that Roam batteries died so early (13 months for me), but Sonos components are top quality right down to the screws they have used. Good luck. DM if you need help.