Sonos Roam — It doesn't "just work" — The many issues

• 5 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Summary
In my experience, the Sonos Roam has been buggy, and I encounter a lot of disruptions in contrast to my Sonos One and Sonos Beam and breaks the illusion of an easy multi-room audio “it just works”. It’s put me off investing in further Sonos products or upgrading unless this is resolved.

Trouble waking up
The Roam has issues waking up from sleep. It gets stuck and won’t turn on. Other times, I need to press the power button then wait a few seconds and try pressing it on again, only for the logo light to pulse white and then eventually connect to the System.

Disconnection/Drop-outs
Playing multi-room audio with Sonos One and Beam, the Roam will suddenly stop playing the music whilst other Sonos speakers work fine. To resolve this, I’d turn it off then back on to get it working again - even then this may not work.

Poor battery life
When on standby or playing music, it doesn't last 10 days or the 10 hours (whatever the specs stated). Don’t have much to say on this other than it does within a few days, not last 10 hours.

Regardless of other people’s experience (there seems to be plenty of issues surfacing with Roam). I’m hoping Sonos take the product feedback on board. Ideal outcome I’d love mine to be replaced or upgraded to a new version if it is in the works. What a bother. I’m going through appropriate Sonos channels to go through troubleshooting and am a bit tired, my working assumption/hunch is hardware issues so will see how I go with ruling stuff out 1 by 1.

Feel free to use this thread to sound out similar experiences you’ve had.

Edit:
Additional logs for insights:
~10:40 - Connected via Airplay to Roam and Sonos One. Music plays from One but not Roam. White light on near logo. 

~11:00 - Roam disappears from system. Pressing the power button and it doesn’t turn off lol….

Moderator Note: Combined posts

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I have similar experience. Unfortunately I’m on my second Roam 

-1st preordered Roam was returned because it was a buggy POS

-2nd received as a gift from my kids - sits on a shelf unused because it’s a buggy POS

Luckily my other Sonos products are solid.