Answered

sonos Move speaker and 2nd home

• 7 October 2023
  • 3 replies

We just bought a small seasonal 2nd home.  I have a nice Sonos system all hardwired at our main place. I want to do the best I can within Sonos lineup for our new place and 2 Move speakers should work.  I’m not a tech wizard so I have some questions,   Do I need another Sonos Amp to run these as a pair?  I do have Wi-Fi at the new place and want the flexibility to move them around and outside.

BIG QUESTION, can I use my main homes Sonos app that already has all my music sources, playlists and channels set up, at the 2nd home?  I would rather not set it all up again.  Any help is much appreciated on either topic.

icon

Best answer by buzz 7 October 2023, 18:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The easiest arrangement for you would be to initially add the MOVE’s to your present home and give the WiFi at the 2nd home the same user name and password as the home WIFi. The MOVE’s will be welcome in either location. Occasionally there may be a message that some players are missing because they are not at your current location. You can ignore the message. A minor issue will present if you have updated the firmware in one house, but not yet updated units in the other house. All controllers and players must be at the same level.

This is not the only possible arrangement. It’s possible to use different WiFi credentials at the two locations, but a little more work to setup. Once setup, you can freely transport the MOVES’s — as I have done in order to use a MOVE at the office.

If you are using a NAS drive to store music, you’ll need an identical drive at both locations, or the drive must travel with you.

Some music services, such as Spotify, will not allow simultaneous play at both locations.

Thanks, this makes new to me as a basic user of Sonos… but, do Moves act as their own Amp as my home speakers use?  Will the Moves be “attached” to an Amp at my house or as a standalone group?  If to an Amp, will I also then need an Amp at my 2nd home to make them see the same setup?  Good conversation, at least for me.  Thanks all

MOVE is a standalone speaker. All it needs is power, WiFi, and (if appropriate) access to locally stored music and/or Internet service. If you don’t have Internet service, you’ll need to transport the MOVE’s back to the primary home for updates.