Answered

Sonos Move 2 - Can't "move" between 2 wifi networks without factory reset?

• 23 October 2023
  • 12 replies

I was told by support just yesterday the new Sonos Move 2 cannot “remember” 2 different Sonos systems/networks.  I find that hard to believe on a product called “Move”.  Can you confirm?   Scenario:

Unboxed my new Move 2 and added it to the system in my main residence no problem.  Packed it up for a trip to the beach house WITHOUT the charging base.  Mistake?   Shouldn’t be, but when I get to the 2nd house there is no obvious way to add the new Move 2 that was added to my other system.  I have numerous products in both locations - does no one else take the portables around this way?  So now, based on what support indicated, I’ll have to literally factory reset every time I transport this “portable” speaker from A to B.  AND - I’ll have to take the charging base to factory reset.  Really?  Could really use a better way or another option if it exists.  Thanks all.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 23 October 2023, 21:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

And by the way, is the orange charge indicator light supposed to illuminate when charging by way of the USB C cable?   It does not on mine - would be nice if I knew the charge was actually taking place while “on the go” as the manual for Move 2 indicates.  Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Move can be added to two wifi systems, but not (without a reset) to two Sonos households as you seem to want. Nor can any other Sonos speaker.

You could make one household out of the two you have now though. I’m not sure how, though. Maybe another user can tell you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

And by the way, is the orange charge indicator light supposed to illuminate when charging by way of the USB C cable?   It does not on mine - would be nice if I knew the charge was actually taking place while “on the go” as the manual for Move 2 indicates.  Thanks again.

I thought the same when I first charged my Move 2 on the charging base, but the orange light is only on for a few seconds when charging is started, then the light turns off.
It's obviously a feature, it's also described somewhere in the web-based operating instructions.

I thought the same when I first charged my Move 2 on the charging base, but the orange light is only on for a few seconds when charging is started, then the light turns off.
It's obviously a feature, it's also described somewhere in the web-based operating instructions.

Yes, I read that and understand.  That’s not the case with the USB C charging that I’ve experienced.  That is, of course, assuming the USB C cable included with ROAM can be used to charge this Move.  That would be another question to address.   Anyone?

Here are MOVE charger requirements.

I have managed to add 5 WiFi networks to my Sonos system, which includes a Move 2 - so that new speaker will connect/work on every one of those WiFi networks at whatever location. My understanding is the Move 2 will handle upto 16 wireless networks, obviously that’s per Sonos Household.

It’s often best to usually keep the Sonos HH and not (ever) factory reset the device, particularly if using the Alexa voice assistant, as it’s one Sonos HH only per Amazon (Alexa) account, plus who wants to ever lose their music services, playlists, favourites etc.? - not me. 😀

Yes, it’s ‘by design’ …the original Move’s battery LED has always worked in the same way too. The Roam battery LED is the same aswell.

Yes, I read that and understand.  That’s not the case with the USB C charging that I’ve experienced.  That is, of course, assuming the USB C cable included with ROAM can be used to charge this Move.  That would be another question to address.   Anyone?

The Roam cable is off my list to use - you are best to use a PD certified charger which are USB-C—> USB-C

The Roam cable is USB-A to USB-C. 

This 100w USB_C PD charger works fine for me over in the U.K..  I use it to charge both the Move 1 or Move 2 and/or the Roam.. or two of each product at the same time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CVFMGL1

It’s not the cable  that matters (much), it’s the power brick attached to the cable. Check the link @buzz posted.

My preference these days is to use charger cables with an E-Marker chip, but it’s really a matter of personal choice.

What an odd post. 

I'm experiencing a frustrating issue where my device won't seamlessly switch between two home Wi-Fi networks without needing a factory reset. Has anyone else encountered this problem or found a solution?

@homeexpert,
You just need to add the WiFi network to the device via the "let’s fix it…” option, that’s assuming an original WiFi network is not in range. See this Sonos support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network