Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos Amp removes Move from the network

Sonos Move suddenly stopped connecting to the network, only the white light blinks. Reset attempts do not help. In addition to Move, I also have Amp and Ikea Symfonisk on the network, all connected wirelessly. Everything worked without problems for several years.
During testing, I noticed that if I turn off Amp, Move connects to the network and is visible in the application. When Amp is reconnected to power, Move stops playing music and is removed from the app. SYMFONISK is also disconnected from the network for a while.
Diagnostic data ************
Please help.

Moderator edit: Diagnostic number recorded and removed.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You may have a duplicate IP issue. Try setting static IP addresses for each Sonos device.

All players are assigned a permanent network address. Before connecting Amp, the ping to Move is 1ms, after connecting it it still has the same address and can still be pinged. Ping to Amp is also 1ms. However, Move is removed from the app and the buttons become unresponsive. After restarting, the white LED is still flashing but it is connected to the network and can be pinged (1ms). Of course it is not visible in the application. Why is Amp removing Move from the app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wikaudio  

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve already had a colleague look into this situation for you, and they were unable to recreate the issue.

I also thought it might be a IP conflict, so I’m glad that has already been discounted.

We’d like to gather some more information from your system prior to the recreation of the issue, please.

• Please unplug your Amp from power.
  • On your Move, please hold the Connect button (the one under the Bluetooth button) for 10+ seconds until the light goes red. The light will cycle through various colours as it enters Snapshot mode - once you see it cycle through to a red light once more, you can press the button once to exit the mode. The Snapshot has been taken.
  • Please then plug Amp back in.
  • ​Observe the Move go offline
  • Unplug Amp from power
  • Observe Move come back online
  • Submit a support diagnostic
  • Reply here letting me know you have completed these tasks, but please do not share the diagnostics number - I’ll find it without.

Thanks!

Problem solved!

After a complete system reset, changing the router and Access Point, I found the solution. The problem was not the network configuration but the ROOM NAME assigned to the Amp. If I assign the name "TV room" to Amp, Move disappears from the system, if I choose any other name, Move immediately returns to the system. I don't know why this matters, but it works and it may help someone.

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wikaudio 

Well, that is not what I was expecting!

Very, very strange! I am glad to hear you found a solution, though - fantastic!

I’ll pass this info back - my colleague is off at the moment, but it’ll be interesting to hear what he thinks. For what it’s worth, another colleague has an Amp named TV Room and doesn’t see this issue.

I’m guessing your Move is not called “TV Room” too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Wikaudio 

I’ll pass this info back - my colleague is off at the moment, but it’ll be interesting to hear what he thinks. For what it’s worth, another colleague has an Amp named TV Room and doesn’t see this issue.

Could be HomeKit getting in the way again, it does weird things with Sonos device names.

Hi @Wikaudio 

Hi, of course Move is called "Move". For three years the Amp was called "TV Room" and although this is the second Amp because the previous one was damaged by discharge. I gave the new one the same name, but everything worked perfectly for a year. I was looking for a problem in the network configuration because I have a Ubiquiti router and access points and I read that there are problems with this, but everything worked for me. And suddenly Move disappeared. Changing the name was the last thing I suspected. I don't know how Sonos creates the network and how it stores information on devices. I suspect that there was an error when synchronizing devices and that was the reason for removing Move.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wikaudio 

Honestly, I don’t know enough to even begin speculation. @controlav might be on to something - if you have Apple Homekit, that is.

If you really want an answer, please undo your fix and follow the steps in my first reply, but if you are not particularly bothered and are just happy it’s all working again, there is really no need for you to do so - just enjoy the tunes!

Hi @Corry P 

I don't have HomeKit so that's not the reason. I'm very curious, so I restored the configuration and followed what you wrote. However, I had to restart Move to make it appear in the application again and I hope that's not a problem?
Of course, I sent the diagnostic data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wikaudio 

I think you and I might have similar minds - I was hoping you’d say that!

Thank you very much - I have the diagnostic, will forward it to my colleague for inspection, and hopefully let you know what we find.