Answered

Roam reverts to previous network

• 24 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Hoping this will help some others overcome this funky software.

I set up a pair of Roam devices on network A.

I then needed to change them to network B.

I hard reset both Roam devices and connected them successfully to network B.

Less than 30s later, they disconnected from network B and reconnected themselves to network A.

Solution:

• go to System > Network > Manage Networks > click network A > Remove
  • restart your phone (to make sure Sonos app is not running!)
  • reset your device
  • follow the procedure to add a new device and you should be good to go
icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 July 2023, 09:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gazaloo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you for posting, but I have to point out that if the Roams remembered an old network then they were not properly reset in the first place - not that resetting is the correct thing to do in this case! We don’t recommend that you ever reset speakers unless specifically instructed to do so, or if you are selling them.

The correct way to move to a new network is to turn on all devices, connect your phone to the new network and open the Sonos app, and when it says it can’t connect and offers an option to “Fix it”, you tap that and go through the process of teaching the speakers the new WiFi details.

Once done, remove the old network as you describe above.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, just for information, before taking the steps I outlined, I went through the procedure you outlined several times - unsuccessfully, every time. The “Fix it” process would find all the devices and then fail to add the Roam devices to the new network.

The reset process I went through seemed to follow all the documented outcomes, flashing orange/white and then green. Despite that they reverted to the old network, so it didn’t perform a full reset.

I probably messed up somewhere along the way here - all I know is that I found a solution that worked for me having spent several hours wrestling with it trying to add 2 Roams to my existing system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @gazaloo 

Understood. I’m sorry to hear you had to spend hours of your time trying to resolve this.

The following steps can sometimes increase the likelihood of a WiFi setup completing successfully:

• Reboot the router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. If you have any devices that extend the range of your WiFi (excluding mesh nodes), please turn them off until setup is completed.
  • Reboot the controller (device running the Sonos app) or try using another.
  • Selecting a different device to be told the WiFi credentials in the first instance.

A green, flashing light signifies that a speaker has been properly reset. When a speaker is added to an existing system, however, any and all settings are duplicated over to the new device - it’s very likely that after the reset, your Roams will have obtained the old WiFi credentials from the other devices that had not been reset. Usually, when connecting an existing system to a new WiFi, the old WiFi is not available. If it is, it’s best to make it unavailable until setup on the new WiFi is completed, and the old credentials have been removed from the system: Remove a WiFi network from your Sonos system

I’m glad to hear you did get it resolved eventually, but I’d encourage you to get in touch with our technical support team should you have difficulties with your Sonos system again - they are there to help you, and sometimes it really helps to know what the speakers are saying about these events.

I hope this helps.

Great info, thank you Corry!