Skip to main content

Roam for phone calls

• 19 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Just wanted to make yet another thread about how disappointing it is to not have the ability to use the microphone to make phone calls. To all you people out there saying people should do their research, the Roam I got was a prize from work. This thing sounds amazing and it would be in my bag to take everywhere… but the microphone only works with an assistant. I saw on one thread that the user wanted to use this for conf calls and this is exactly what I wanted it for. I'm in sales and when I go to customer sites and have calls with engineers, etc. this would be perfect. Instead, it’s confined to my desk as a really fancy computer speaker. Swing and a miss Sonos.

For anyone out there wanting a portable speaker for their phone, keep moving. For the very few people out there that have Sonos home systems and want the oddball function of playing music through your phone to other Sonos speakers… this is your expensive bluetooth dongle. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

2 replies

Just wanted to make yet another thread about how disappointing it is to not have the ability to use the microphone to make phone calls. To all you clowns out there saying people should do their research, the Roam I got was a prize from work.

I suggest you go to your employer and let them know how disappointed you are with the gift.  

This thing sounds amazing and it would be in my bag to take everywhere… but the microphone only works with an assistant. I saw on one thread that the user wanted to use this for conf calls and this is exactly what I wanted it for. I'm in sales and when I go to customer sites and have calls with engineers, etc. this would be perfect. Instead, it’s confined to my desk as a really fancy computer speaker. Swing and a miss Sonos.

Well, they weren’t swinging to make a portable speaker for salesman to make sales calls with, so it’s not really a miss.  It wasn’t really designed to be a computer speaker either for that matter.  It’s supposed to be a part of Sonos home theatre that you can take out out and be a basic portable speaker when needed.  

For anyone out there wanting a portable speaker for their phone, keep moving. For the very few people out there that have Sonos home systems and want the oddball function of playing music through your phone to other Sonos speakers… this is your expensive bluetooth dongle. 

The point of bluetooth as a source for Sonos audio was only partially to meet customer requirements to play bluetooth sources, many that Sonos streaming dones’t support,  on Sonos.  It was also so that you could be listening to music on the go and easily transfer it when you got home.

Personally, I use Roam as regular Sonos speakers in a bathroom, as the small size and water proof capabilities are ideal for that space.

But if all you want is a portable bluetooth speaker that doubles as a speaker phone, than absolutely, the Roam is not the speaker you’re looking for.

Just wanted to make yet another thread about how disappointing it is to not have the ability to use the microphone to make phone calls. To all you clowns out there saying people should do their research, the Roam I got was a prize from work.

I suggest you go to your employer and let them know how disappointed you are with the gift.  

Not a gift, a prize. I earned it. I’m not disappointed with the prize, I’m disappointed that you can’t use the microphone. Read a couple threads, I’m not alone.

This thing sounds amazing and it would be in my bag to take everywhere… but the microphone only works with an assistant. I saw on one thread that the user wanted to use this for conf calls and this is exactly what I wanted it for. I'm in sales and when I go to customer sites and have calls with engineers, etc. this would be perfect. Instead, it’s confined to my desk as a really fancy computer speaker. Swing and a miss Sonos.

Well, they weren’t swinging to make a portable speaker for salesman to make sales calls with, so it’s not really a miss.  It wasn’t really designed to be a computer speaker either for that matter.  It’s supposed to be a part of Sonos home theatre that you can take out out and be a basic portable speaker when needed.  

Nobody makes a portable speaker for salespeople to make sales calls with. That’s not even what I said. I said I wanted to use it at customer sites when speaking with company resources. Swing and a miss refers to the mic, not the device.  BTW, it’s designed to be a portable speaker, and a smart speaker at home… not a basic portable speaker at all:

Roam 2 is a remarkably versatile all-in-one. Use it as a Bluetooth speaker everywhere and as a smart speaker at home. Ref. Roam 2: Portable Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker | Sonos 

“It’s supposed to be a part of Sonos home theatre that you can take out out and be a basic portable speaker when needed.”

Swing and a miss mel… lol

The point of bluetooth as a source for Sonos audio was only partially to meet customer requirements to play bluetooth sources, many that Sonos streaming dones’t support,  on Sonos.  It was also so that you could be listening to music on the go and easily transfer it when you got home.

That’s great and I’m sure it does that very well, however it’s not relevant. The point of my thread is to communicate to Sonos that I, like others, am disappointed that the microphone can’t be used for calls. 

Personally, I use Roam as regular Sonos speakers in a bathroom, as the small size and water proof capabilities are ideal for that space.

Nobody cares 

But if all you want is a portable bluetooth speaker that doubles as a speaker phone, than absolutely, the Roam is not the speaker you’re looking for.

That’s what I said. I’ve read way too many threads on here where people bought a bluetooth speaker with a mic and were disappointed that they could not make phone calls with it.

If I were to go shop for a bluetooth speaker, I would probably go to a store like Best Buy. I’d listen to them and see which ones sound best. If it has the features I want, like I dunno, a microphone… I’d probably choose it. We all want the best sound, right? This thing does sound amazing.

I know what the Roam was designed for. I know it does it well. Like I said, the point of this post was to add to the number of users who are disappointed that you can’t use the mic to make phone calls. 

I’d also like to acknowledge and defend the people who’ve been ridiculed and attacked on this forum by people like you. If it’s sold as a bluetooth speaker that connects to your phone and has a microphone, it is reasonable to think that the microphone would work to make phone calls. Let people voice their opinions. Maybe they’ll add this feature and the Roam will be back as the #1 overall portable speaker. It was jousted from its’ throne by The JBL Xtreme 4 on Tech Radars’ 10 Best of 2024 list. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.