Answered

Create S2 system for Roam but keep S1 system with S1 and S2 compatible items

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Can you point me to information on setting up the S2 system with a different Household id?

I’ve never had any trouble at all running S1/S2 systems side-by-side. The chosen course taken a couple of years back was to create separate Sonos Households for the S1/S2 Systems (with different Household ID’s) and so ‘never the twain shall meet’.

Both setups have been working fine ever since… the initial setup was fortunately quite easy, as I create and keep most of my playlists/favourites stored in the subscribed MSP services, plus my locally-held library and its .m3u playlists (on a NAS box) are obviously easy to import/index into both HH’s.

Most of the old S1 devices and a few older Play:1’s have now been handed on to our children/grandchildren at their Homes and they too now run S1/S2 systems side-by-side. They each use separate S1/S2 Household ID’s and they’ve been working fine aswell.

Thanks for that suggestion. I’ll try it out.

I don’t think any upgrade is going to take place without something being pressed to confirm (although I suppose that might be done inadvertently).

There are all sort of ways that these things seem to happen in the world of Sonos users and I have found that my peace of mind is assured where my S1 system runs S2 compatible units is to make sure that the S2 app isn't in my house on any device.

Power on the Roam, download the S2 app and choose to set up a new system.  When this process is complete, power back on the S1 system.

With both systems powered up, is it easy to inadvertently upgrade the S2 compatible units to S2 via the S2 controller, thereby breaking the S1 system?

Running the compatibility checker tool and thus actively telling the Sonos system that you don’t want to upgrade the existing S2-compatible devices seems. anecdotally, to reduce (eliminate?) this risk.

In any case, I don’t think any upgrade is going to take place without something being pressed to confirm (although I suppose that might be done inadvertently).  If units did get upgraded, they could be rolled back provided there is still an S1 system, which there would be.

Power on the Roam, download the S2 app and choose to set up a new system.  When this process is complete, power back on the S1 system.

With both systems powered up, is it easy to inadvertently upgrade the S2 compatible units to S2 via the S2 controller, thereby breaking the S1 system?

I suggest you do the following:

Before setting up the Roam, look in the system settings in the S1 controller for the ‘compatibility checker tool’.  If it is there then run this and it will offer to upgrade compatible speakers to S2.  But there should also be an option to leave everything on S1, which you should select, given your aims.

Then power off all your Sonos.  Power on the Roam, download the S2 app and choose to set up a new system.  When this process is complete, power back on the S1 system.

thanks, but that is about removing S2 compatible products from my S1 system and creating an S2 system with them in. I just want my S1 system to stay as it is, with S1 and S2 products, and create a separate S2 system with only the Roam.

Yes, you can do that. The Roam will then be controlled via the S2 controller version. Your S1 and S2 products will continue to work as they do today, via the S1 controller. 

But this may be tricky long term because once you have the S2 controller on the phone, you may inadvertently end up moving the S2 products to the S2 software version and you have to guard against that.

thanks, but that is about removing S2 compatible products from my S1 system and creating an S2 system with them in. I just want my S1 system to stay as it is, with S1 and S2 products, and create a separate S2 system with only the Roam.

Userlevel 7

Check out this article:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845