Bluetooth Roam Pair or Stereo pair when leaving home WIFI

• 29 September 2023
  • 2 replies

I have two ROAM units that are both stereo paired as bluetooth and as SONO stereo pair when connected to my home WIFI.

What I want to be able to do is to have the units remain paired when I leave my home WIFI network and take the speakers to the beach or other outing.

What is happening is that the moment the speakers are disconnected or turned off or go to sleep and I have to reconnect them to bluetooth, they will NOT pair to each other so only one will play.  

I have tried repeatedly turning just one or the other on, but it won’t work.  Clearly BOTH are connected to my iPhone 7 plus at the same time, but WILL NOT play at the same time.

The only thing that works is to literally keep the phone connected to the bluetooth pair while I’m traveling to my event and HOPE they don’t run out of power or get disconnected.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have spoken to tech support repeatedly and they have said it should work, but it doesn’t.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Apple’s phones can only send a single Bluetooth signal at a time, they cannot send one signal to one Roam (left) and a second (right) to another Roam. Sonos themselves set up the Roams as receivers of Bluetooth, and not senders, so they can’t ‘share’ between each other when on Bluetooth.

Its a great request for future work, but it won’t work right now. 

At home the ROAM’s will pair through their WiFi connection. Since there is no WiFi out on the beach, pairing is not possible. You could lash up a battery operated travel router to support the WiFi, but this seems like a lot of trouble.