Question

What if Sonos disappeared?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Even if Sonos did go out of business surely we'd still be able to use the current controller/app to play our music, at least until it became unsupported due to not being upgraded?

And then there are other controller solutions such as Sonopad/Sonophone.
Where is this conjecture coming from?

Regardless, Sonos is just too big to just completely disappear. If Sonos sales suddenly start plummeting for whatever reason, the brand would still have a lot of value. The company would surely be bought before they completely fade away.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Quite what "not catering for the latest and greatest audio formats" means I don't know. I wasn't aware that mp3 or AAC had been usurped by some hitherto unknown great format. Maybe the OP can edamucate us?

I imagine that the OP was referring to the Home Cinema audio formats that Sonos doesn't support with their Playbar and Playbase?

I agree, I think the Sonos Playbar and Playbase look like excellent products in terms of form factor & judging from their other speakers, excellent sound quality, but the connection options and range of home cinema audio formats they support makes them very limited for a home cinema enthusiast.

Granted, that's probably not the market that Sonos were targeting, but it's still a shame that these things aren't included.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Bose - On third redesign in 4 years.
Denon - Second redesign in less time than Bose, promised multiple features that never arrived.
Apple - Airplay 1 a failure, just now using from-the-source streaming that Sonos debuted over a decade ago.
Samsung - Basically dead.
Bluesound - Niche product.
Yamaha - Third failure in a row for multi-room audio.
LG - Who knows?

Sonos - Best selling, best reviewed, most awarded, most selection, 1st with third party voice control.

I wouldn't worry about Sonos.

What is this third party voice control you speak of, pilgrim? 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well the world would keep spinning for a start.

1st World problem (and a made up one at that) if ever I saw one.

Quite what "not catering for the latest and greatest audio formats" means I don't know. I wasn't aware that mp3 or AAC had been usurped by some hitherto unknown great format. Maybe the OP can edamucate us?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If they go completely dead I'd hope they'd publish the encryption keys and software source so folks could keep using and improving their Sonos systems.
Bose - On third redesign in 4 years.
Denon - Second redesign in less time than Bose, promised multiple features that never arrived.
Apple - Airplay 1 a failure, just now using from-the-source streaming that Sonos debuted over a decade ago.
Samsung - Basically dead.
Bluesound - Niche product.
Yamaha - Third failure in a row for multi-room audio.
LG - Who knows?

Sonos - Best selling, best reviewed, most awarded, most selection, 1st with third party voice control.

I wouldn't worry about Sonos.
No reason to panic yet. Even BlackBerry is still alive and (somehow) kicking, and look where they came from.
Sonos could easily survive losing their entire surround product range without any harsh effects on their overall sales numbers. Some new Play:x speakers would be nice though. Their advantage still is with the speaker's pristine sound quality compared to the majority of competition.