Question

Sonos Ones or HomePod

• 18 January 2018
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

I just have to pull the trigger and enjoy the music and the speakers they're playing on or I'll still be waiting when I'm in my grave.
Just when HomePods were announced months ago, the above made sense; it is just that now that their launch is a month or so away, it isn't a long wait. I believe that inventory building at Apple is in full swing to be ready for the impending launch. The thing to see is if Apple can replicate what they did with iPods on launch some fifteen years ago when their all integrated product swept away the players that were not end to end integrated the way iPod was.
Thanks Pirate. I feel like if I am trying to slowly build a nice home audio system Sonos is the way to go, even only knowing what I know from the June reviews of HomePod. If I buy two Play Ones then I can add a Sonos soundbar and sub at some point. Who knows if and when Apple will develop and release a whole line of speakers like Sonos. Also, it sounds like with Airport 2 on the way I may still have some Siri functionality in the future.

To Kumar's point about the HomePod not being cheap, I agree, but the Play:3 was $300 until recently and the reviewers in June at WWDC said that it was the closest in sound/overall comprability to the HomePod, and it isn't a smart speaker.

I don't know. I've been waiting a few years to figure out which direction to go in with a home audio system, and then the whole smart speaker phenomenon happened shortly after I decided to invest in something I could really enjoy my music on outside of my 10 year old Bose iPod dock. I've been in a holding pattern for so long now I feel like I just have to pull the trigger and enjoy the music and the speakers they're playing on or I'll still be waiting when I'm in my grave.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My two cents, two ones in stereo sounds amazing and you can get it today
I said what I did in response to your "entrenched" situation; I used Macs + Androids + Sonos in a horses for courses approach. In your case, with a promising Apple home audio solution around the corner, this may not be the time to change your approach; not until you know all that Apple will/will not bring to the table. While Apple Music is all that may work with HomePod initially, that isn't a trifle. I use Apple Music and find it to be as good as I need a streaming service to be.

Also, none of us here can help because none have any exposure to HomePods; no one does at this time. All that can be said at this time is that it won't be cheap! Any more genuine insights can only come after the product is used or tested after commercial release.
I agree Kumar, and plan to, but I know that Apple Music will be all that will work with the HomePod, and feel that Sonos will remain relatively neutral, which will be helpful if I decide to continue to purchase products outside of Apple. Do you see a benefit in that? I am anticipating glowing reviews of the HomePod as seemed to be the case at WWDC, but having it out amongst a whole bunch of users will certainly offer new insights.
I would wait till there are enough reviews of the Apple product once it is released in a few months.